Live Blog! – B2B2B Seward to Japan – Millennium 2018– Join us for our next adventure

Jim_Iain

Loving your review. We will be taking the trans pacific next September. Could you check something for me? When you get to Dutch Harbor, could you notice if the streets/sidewalks are do-able for a wheelchair or three wheeled scooter? I would really love to be able to get off the ship before the long treck west.

Unfortunately they cancelled Dutch Harbor a couple months ago and we are in Sitka today instead. Next stop is Otaru on Sept 26th.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The clocks went back last night for the first of 7 time zone changes. I woke up early and have already knocked down a double cappuccino and awaiting breakfast at

On the 2016 Transpacific there was one night where we set the clocks back a full two hours. I remember waking up that next morning to very bright sunshine peering through the stateroom. As I rose from a sound sleep and saw how light it was I thought to myself it must be 8:00 or 9:00am. So I got up, looked at the clock, and it was 4:30am ship’s time. I’m not sure if your itinerary being slightly different from ours (Sitka vs Dutch Harbor) will result in different time changes, but you will surely arrive in Japan well rested! We are fans of Transatlantics, but there was something extra special about the Westbound Transpacific for us. You appear to

be embracing it in much the same way we did.

:mad:

Loving your review. We will be taking the trans pacific next September. Could you check something for me? When you get to Dutch Harbor, could you notice if the streets/sidewalks are do-able for a wheelchair or three wheeled scooter? I would really love to be able to get off the ship before the long treck west.

We spent several days in Dutch Harbor/Unalaska in 2016. While there are some sidewalks in Unalaska near some of their municipal buildings in many areas the roadsides are just gravel. ALso the weather can be nasty so the roadsides can be rough and muddy.

We also thought the whale show was spectacular yesterday. I have never witnessed so much bubble feeding.

Gerry

On the 2016 Transpacific there was one night where we set the clocks back a full two hours. I remember waking up that next morning to very bright sunshine peering through the stateroom. As I rose from a sound sleep and saw how light it was I thought to myself it must be 8:00 or 9:00am. So I got up, looked at the clock, and it was 4:30am ship’s time. I’m not sure if your itinerary being slightly different from ours (Sitka vs Dutch Harbor) will result in different time changes, but you will surely arrive in Japan well rested! We are fans of Transatlantics, but there was something extra special about the Westbound Transpacific for us. You appear to

be embracing it in much the same way we did.

I can only imagine how difficult a 2 hour shift in one night might be difficult.

From the daily it is looking like the next 4 nights will shift by one hour then another 1 hour on 23 and 24th.

Really enjoying the cruise.

Nice day in Sitka today. Sunny skies and a high of 59. It was nice and toasty in the sun but a little chilly in the shade.

When leaving the ship my card was rejected and I had to go to guest services. They said it was deactivated because it had been replaced. Doesn’t make sense as it worked in our room door and at Al Bacio just before leaving the ship. Oh well, quickly replaced and on our way. I noticed my portfolio number changed so may have been caused when they corrected my birthdate.

a4c9016d9fd221b143ce9ee7152e36fa.jpg

5d10cb378277eac35f46a198ca5c15df.jpg

e04a3423ebf1629ef235d2a2b0567a54.jpg

54b6b2a0e966637bc25e33632b73482c.jpg

7a31af8988f9340029d851c5453298b6.jpg

55a01840c481fd8861e14ad00b591a64.jpg

• Like 1

They are excellent and really nice to listen to. I heard Asher Brown last night and he has a wonderful voice in many ways reminded me of John Denver.

Fiesta Strings plays daily around the ship and often in Al Bachio. Nice classical tunes - the unusual part of their set is the Cello is an Electronic One and very modernistic in shape.

Thanks! Both strings sound awesome. I hope they are on board next June,

I can only imagine how difficult a 2 hour shift in one night might be difficult.

From the daily it is looking like the next 4 nights will shift by one hour then another 1 hour on 23 and 24th.

Now that I think it through a little more, I think the reason we had to turn back the clock 2 hours one night in 2016 was because Dutch Harbor is still in the Alaska time zone, despite the fact it lies so much further west of Sitka. Dutch Harbor was four sea days from Vancouver. And other than the one time change from Pacific to Alaska, we didn't begin the time change process in earnest until after our departure from Dutch Harbor. So you've gotten a head start beginning that process upon departure from Sitka, which should hopefully eliminate the need for a 2 hour back one night.

Now that I think it through a little more, I think the reason we had to turn back the clock 2 hours one night in 2016 was because Dutch Harbor is still in the Alaska time zone, despite the fact it lies so much further west of Sitka. Dutch Harbor was four sea days from Vancouver. And other than the one time change from Pacific to Alaska, we didn't begin the time change process in earnest until after our departure from Dutch Harbor. So you've gotten a head start beginning that process upon departure from Sitka, which should hopefully eliminate the need for a 2 hour back one night.

That could be the reason for sure. I was looking at the time zone map today and it looks like we are on ADAK time zone. I'm finding it difficult to find a city with our timezones. For some reason my Fitbit requires me to set an actual city on my iPhone and sync for it to update the time on my fitbit.

That could be the reason for sure. I was looking at the time zone map today and it looks like we are on ADAK time zone. I'm finding it difficult to find a city with our timezones. For some reason my Fitbit requires me to set an actual city on my iPhone and sync for it to update the time on my fitbit.

Confusing indeed. www.timetemperature.com claims the current time in Dutch Harbor is on AKDT (same time and zone as Sitka). www.timeanddate.com claims Dutch Harbor to be on HDT (1 hour behind Sitka).

Gerry (Northern Aurora), can you weigh in whether or not Dutch Harbor is in your (Fairbanks) time zone or not?

All this talk about Dutch Harbor and you're not even going there! (my fault for the hijack as I reminisce of the 2016 Transpacific!)

Edited by BEAV

Jim, in regards to the Elite cocktail hour I have been reading on the forum where Celebrity is transitioning all ships to 3 cocktails being loaded on the card to be used in any lounge. Is this happening on the Millineum? IF you have a chance will you ask if there is a target date for it to be fleetwide? THANK YOU.

Gerry, thank you for the information on the lack of sidewalks in Dutch Harbor. Sounds like, unless the city fathers have a attack of civic improvement, I will be staying on the ship in that port. Oh, well, I am sure the scenery will be beautiful, as it is in all Alaska ports.

Confusing indeed. www.timetemperature.com claims the current time in Dutch Harbor is on AKDT (same time and zone as Sitka). www.timeanddate.com claims Dutch Harbor to be on HDT (1 hour behind Sitka).

Gerry (Northern Aurora), can you weigh in whether or not Dutch Harbor is in your (Fairbanks) time zone or not?

All this talk about Dutch Harbor and you're not even going there! (my fault for the hijack as I reminisce of the 2016 Transpacific!)

I agree... by the time zone map it is hit or miss finding paces that iPhone recognizes in the Pacific.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/#!cities=18

I've found the following timezones to correspond with what is available on IPhones -

-9 Adak

-10 Honolulu

-11 Rarotonga, Cook Island

+12 Nuku'alofa, Tonga

+11 Noniara, Solomon Islands

+10 Port Moresby, Paua New Guiney

+9 Tokyo

Jim, in regards to the Elite cocktail hour I have been reading on the forum where Celebrity is transitioning all ships to 3 cocktails being loaded on the card to be used in any lounge. Is this happening on the Millineum? IF you have a chance will you ask if there is a target date for it to be fleetwide? THANK YOU.

On this cruise they have loaded 3 drinks on each members cards and they can be used at any bar on the ship. Limited to the listed drinks on the flyer and only between 5-7 pm.

84f8b3a827c51c1bfd4071d83cc02cc1.jpg

Jim,

Whales and the Northern Lights! I very much enjoy reading your review and looking at your photos. Thanks for posting. Have a great cruise.

David

David - The Whales and Northern Lights have really been a bonus and are a real highlight of the cruise. The Captain said they may be visible during our crossing but highly dependent on if the skies will be clear. Today is really gloomy. Temperatures are mild and seas are calm.

I am late to the show but I just read all your posts. Thank you for taking the time to share your pre-cruise and now cruise with us.

I did not want to do another AK cruise but your pre-cruise trip looked so interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I have to say the Land Tour was so much better than we had anticipated. Going deeper into the interior of Alaska gave us so much better understanding of Alaska. You do spend a lot of time on Busses but they were comfortable and they would arrange stops every 1 1/2 hour or so to stretch and take a restroom break. The busses do have toilets but they ask to hold off unless you need them as they don't have a large capacity.

Ohhhhh --- the issue of Alaskan time zones. The state has an interesting time zone history, and our time zones are still controversial for some. In the early 1980s the state moved from four time zones to two. Alaska is so wide that we are essentially the same width as the contiguous 48 states. But there were practical and political considerations with having so many time zones. For example, when I worked for the state our central office in Juneau closed two hours before we did in Fairbanks, and they also opened two hours earlier than we did. But having only two time zones means that we have some interesting distortions in solar noon.

Fairbanks and Sitka are the same time zone. Most of the state is in the Alaska Standard time zone. The far western tip of the Aleutian Islands, including Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, is in the Hawaii-Aleutian time zone. So today the ship is the same time zone as Dutch Harbor.

Gerry

Gerry, thank you for the information on the lack of sidewalks in Dutch Harbor. Sounds like, unless the city fathers have a attack of civic improvement, I will be staying on the ship in that port. Oh, well, I am sure the scenery will be beautiful, as it is in all Alaska ports.

Misspuss -- The town is Unalaska and the harbor is Dutch Harbor. The town is on a small island. The library, schools, town hall and so forth are in the town.

A small bridge connects Unalaska to Dutch Harbor. On the DH side is where the actual port is located. Since this is one of the major fishing ports in the country the DH side is VERY industrial with five or six fish processing plants, dorms for the processing plant employees, boat repair businesses and so forth. The two museums in the community are actually in DH as are their two large grocery stores.

When we were there one day a small cruise ship was in port so a school bus was used as a shuttle on the DH side. Both of the museums were on the shuttle schedule. There are also a number of taxis. Given the size of the community it would be a short ride from the ship to the Museum of the Alelutians and an

even shorter ride to the WWII Museum.

Gerry

Today was our first day at sea and the ship has been relatively quiet. Started my day with breakfast in our suite followed by attending the cruise critics meet and greet. Was really nice putting faces with names. Captain Alex, Liam (CD) and many Senior Staff were present. I'm not good at guessing crowds but would predict over 150.

It's been a really lazy day. We have been invited to a dinner with Senior Officers this evening at 6 so decided to have a light lunch in Luminea. Iain chose just having soup while I chose a turkey club. I spent the afternoon doin some walking and listening to some podcast. I love to listen to murder mystery IBooks and podcasts while out walking.

The skies have been mostly overcast all day but temperatures are mild and seas mostly flat.

Tonight will be the first of 3 Chic nights. I’ll report back on how people are dressed for reference.

6998c27c545a7bad31c190128c1beb3b.jpg