CruiseNext certificate changes -> No more OBC!

fstuff1

Thank you.

So one has to commit to 4 NCL cruises in 4 years.

I believe RCI next cruise cert does not have an expiration date. At least didn’t used to.

Overall I find next cruise certs not worthwhile, especially expirable ones. Too much commitment for the benefit.

Folks here say they are easily sold...

ahh.. so i was comparing apples to oranges.

thx for the apples to apples comparison.

so it's the same $125 for $250 certs.

with the new way, ncl is just locking you in to 4 future cruises.

Or two if you book balcony’s or above 6 months out...

I have been a long time fan and traveler of NCL so making this post is far from the norm for me. In September 2016 I purchased $1000.00 worth of Cruise Next certificates. The "extra special" promotion they offered was you could use two (2) $250.00 certificates at the same time for future cruises for any category cabin, including inside.

September 2017 I sailed again and they in fact honored their offer. This year, September 2018, CruiseNext announced they had no idea what I was talking about. They acknowledged my cruise history indicates I used two certificates in 2017 for an inside cabin.

After the phone call I emailed them as they required and received a phone response? and no written response. The CruiseNext department was very matter of fact that they could change promotions at their desire.

I am aware I can sell/transfer a certificate to someone travelling with me and have them pay me the $250.00.

I have sailed with NCL for over 22 years and have never had a real problem with them. As a fellow Cruise Critic member I caution others to be careful while on the ship and they offer additional "specials" as you may find NCL not living up to their obligation.

I was allowed to use 2 certificates on my inside cabin last October but they only allowed 1 certificates for my March cruise and my cruise next week. I’ll check onboard to see whether I’ll buy again. I’ll tie up $250 but rather not do $500.

If your reading this thread in order, what Im alerting fellow members about is that NCL made a special offer on the 2016 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda, that no matter how many you bought you would always be able to use 2 at a time. As a result I and many others bought more than usual. I love NCL and every sailing (22) i have taken. I am disappointed that they can "change the conditions after the sale" because they can. My post was to alert others that when on a cruise and they offer a "special" offer above the norm.... be aware they can and will change their obligation a year later and then play dumb.

If your reading this thread in order, what Im alerting fellow members about is that NCL made a special offer on the 2016 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda, that no matter how many you bought you would always be able to use 2 at a time. As a result I and many others bought more than usual. I love NCL and every sailing (22) i have taken. I am disappointed that they can "change the conditions after the sale" because they can. My post was to alert others that when on a cruise and they offer a "special" offer above the norm.... be aware they can and will change their obligation a year later and then play dumb.

I find it very unlikely to believe that NCL would sell on one ship, on one sailing... one specific special offer only available to those on that particular ship. More than likely, you chose to hear what you wanted to hear and didn’t listen to the terms and conditions or read the small print of the a temporary offer that was available fleetwide.

Who cares how they promote it. It is free money. Two for the price of one. Those who can do purchase and those who can't question don't

This is exactly how I look at it. My partner and I have already received enough free money from Cruise Next to cover the cost of a cruise for one of us. We purchased four certificates in February ($500 out of pocket) and four more in June (another $500 out of pocket). So we have already received $1000 of free CruiseNext certificates. We applied four to our upcoming cruise in October (two for my parents' balcony and two for our own), two towards our trip on the Bliss next February, and two towards our trip on the Encore next November. On top of that, we got category upgrades on our Bliss and Encore cruises, because we booked those while on board. Assuming those were worth about $50 pp per cruise, we're actually up $1200 so far.

This is exactly how I look at it. My partner and I have already received enough free money from Cruise Next to cover the cost of a cruise for one of us. We purchased four certificates in February ($500 out of pocket) and four more in June (another $500 out of pocket). So we have already received $1000 of free CruiseNext certificates. We applied four to our upcoming cruise in October (two for my parents' balcony and two for our own), two towards our trip on the Bliss next February, and two towards our trip on the Encore next November. On top of that, we got category upgrades on our Bliss and Encore cruises, because we booked those while on board. Assuming those were worth about $50 pp per cruise, we're actually up $1200 so far.

Which Encore? The inaugural out of Miami or the Thanksgiving? Or I guess the TA could be an option too...

However, when you factor in the constantly fluctuating price of cruises, if you're a good shopper you can save just as much or even more. If you can wait to book "late" the prices may go down by "a lot" instead of committing to 6 months in advance or waiting for special promotions just to use 2 certificates.

I have a cruise for Oct (used 2 for a sailaway balcony less than 6 months out) and am thinking of a Feb cruise. If they are still doing "any time, any balcony" I'll go for the new plan. If not....I'll go for the best deal when I'm ready to book.

However, when you factor in the constantly fluctuating price of cruises, if you're a good shopper you can save just as much or even more. If you can wait to book "late" the prices may go down by "a lot" instead of committing to 6 months in advance or waiting for special promotions just to use 2 certificates.

I have a cruise for Oct (used 2 for a sailaway balcony less than 6 months out) and am thinking of a Feb cruise. If they are still doing "any time, any balcony" I'll go for the new plan. If not....I'll go for the best deal when I'm ready to book.

I keep spreadsheets tracking prices for the cruises I book. So far, of the cruises I have booked, the prices have only gone up after booking, except for sail away rates dropping in the final 2-3 weeks for some categories. I can't book a cruise only 2-3 weeks out, because I need to give more notice than that for work. Also, I'm uninterested in booking sail away rates, because we always go for the drink package (the savings on the sail away rates is never more than the $700+ per person to pay for the drink package outright) and prefer choosing our own room location.

I'm on the Escape in October. We got an angled BE balcony on Deck 13 for $999 pp with two perks and $200 OBC. Right now Sail Away balconies are $849 pp. Most of the Balcony categories are sold out, but the cheapest direct booking one is a Family Balcony on deck 9 for $1099.

Right now, my sailing on the Bliss in February is already mostly sold out, but sail away balconies are $1249 pp. We paid $1079 pp for our angled BA balcony on Deck 13 with two perks and $100 OBC.

For our Transatlantic sailing on the Encore next November, we paid $1549 pp for an angled BA balcony on Deck 14. Currently, Sail Aways are unavailable and a BA is going for $1699 pp.

Thank you.

So one has to commit to 4 NCL cruises in 4 years.

I believe RCI next cruise cert does not have an expiration date. At least didn’t used to.

Overall I find next cruise certs not worthwhile, especially expirable ones. Too much commitment for the benefit.

We did the buy 2, get 4 deal (4 $250 cert). We will use two on two cruises in 4 years, not one on four cruises.

I keep spreadsheets tracking prices for the cruises I book. So far, of the cruises I have booked, the prices have only gone up after booking, except for sail away rates dropping in the final 2-3 weeks for some categories. I can't book a cruise only 2-3 weeks out, because I need to give more notice than that for work. Also, I'm uninterested in booking sail away rates, because we always go for the drink package (the savings on the sail away rates is never more than the $700+ per person to pay for the drink package outright) and prefer choosing our own room location.

I'm on the Escape in October. We got an angled BE balcony on Deck 13 for $999 pp with two perks and $200 OBC. Right now Sail Away balconies are $849 pp. Most of the Balcony categories are sold out, but the cheapest direct booking one is a Family Balcony on deck 9 for $1099.

Right now, my sailing on the Bliss in February is already mostly sold out, but sail away balconies are $1249 pp. We paid $1079 pp for our angled BA balcony on Deck 13 with two perks and $100 OBC.

For our Transatlantic sailing on the Encore next November, we paid $1549 pp for an angled BA balcony on Deck 14. Currently, Sail Aways are unavailable and a BA is going for $1699 pp.

Jamie....

Last year I had a 10 day booked on The Gem. I had an obstructed OV for (I forget the price). The balcony was $450 more pp. I didn't need it for $900. So, 10 days before the cruise NCL lowered it to $50 more pp. I called my TA and he got it for a total of $60 more...for both of us.

Spreadsheets wouldn't have helped....it was all in the timing. (As I recall, I was also able to use 2 certificates for that cruise.)

Jamie....

Last year I had a 10 day booked on The Gem. I had an obstructed OV for (I forget the price). The balcony was $450 more pp. I didn't need it for $900. So, 10 days before the cruise NCL lowered it to $50 more pp. I called my TA and he got it for a total of $60 more...for both of us.

Spreadsheets wouldn't have helped....it was all in the timing. (As I recall, I was also able to use 2 certificates for that cruise.)

On the contrary, that's exactly why I keep the spreadsheets. So I will be able to see when a "good deal" pops up. If I am tracking prices, I can see if the prices go up or down relative to where they were when I booked. So far, for my sailings at least, the prices have consistently gone up, except on sail aways in the final 2-3 weeks. On my October sailing, the price for an H9 had gone down $100 from when I booked, but it's still WAY more money than I am willing to pay for a Haven. ;p

We did the buy 2, get 4 deal (4 $250 cert). We will use two on two cruises in 4 years, not one on four cruises.

I hope you do.

For me I would not like the commitment. Knowing myself I would end up looking for a way to spend them and that would defeat the purpose.

Edited by molole

I find it very unlikely to believe that NCL would sell on one ship, on one sailing... one specific special offer only available to those on that particular ship. More than likely, you chose to hear what you wanted to hear and didn’t listen to the terms and conditions or read the small print of the a temporary offer that was available fleetwide.

Thomas Roberts has spoken...... I will strive in the future to be the smartest guy in the room like you.

OK I got off the Escape on Sunday, we purchased the certificates on the Thursday, we always get some.

It went like this. We chose the buy two get two free option

4 x $250 appeared on our on board account

Then we got 1 x $150, 2 x $125 and 1 x $100 credits as Non Refundable Credits

Looking at iConcierge our balance was $448 (we had some OBC left) and our Non Refundable credit showed $0

Checking my Credit Card Balance NCL charged me £390 for our 7 Days on the Escape and I have £800 of Cruise Next Certificates.

Either way we did it we would have ended up winners.

BaWBarmy,

If I understand correctly, the total of your $500 onboard "nonrefundable" credit was applied to the $1,000 certificates you purchased. That made the cost of the four $250 credits actually $500. I believe this is the way NCL did it in the past also.