If you buy alcohol in the islands or on-board shop

warmwinds

I have packed the bottles in my suitcase using the cardboard cases. Never had a problem on any return. I do add clothing (socks, t shirt) in the liquor box as additional protection.

You have to be careful as the liquor can be heavy and may throw you over the weight limit for some flights. Bottles weigh about 3 pounds each. That could be costly depending on the airline. Many charge you $75. So plan on that added weight when you leave home.

We have found thru the years that it isn’t worth the hassle of buying liquor to save a few dollars. The bottles may look small until you try to find a safe secure place for them in your luggage. As a dry run try packaging a few bottles at home.

I guess it is because we now drive to the port instead of flying and purchase some at the Costco in FL or at the Total Wine Store. If you look on their website you will find them in many states along with their prices.

Craziest thing I seen was a passenger on board arguing with a the salesperson demanding to have a sample of a cheap bottle of schnapps before buying. The bottle cost around $5 and she didn’t want to buy it without seeing if it was worth the money. Probably would have saved $2 max by buying duty free.

If you do decide to purchase some make sure that the caps are on tight.

Drink up 🍺🍻🍷🍹🍸🥂🍾

I've bought 2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue more than once for $305. At home the cost is over $250 per bottle. In my eyes that is more than a few dollars.

We have done the same will buy two more on next cruise, bought a fifth last week for 198 , on ship they are liters much better deal

You really need to know the prices of the liquor you are buying. For what we like, we have found that the price differential is very small, or sometimes we can get a better price at Binny's when they have sales. We tried traveling with a bottle of tequila in our suitcase once that we got from a factory tour- wrapped carefully and cushioned with clothes all around. Opened up the suitcase to a broken bottle and a mess. Unless you are saving alot of money I personally would never chance it again.

I've bought 2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue more than once for $305. At home the cost is over $250 per bottle. In my eyes that is more than a few dollars.

Ditto - not sure the price but the same price as on St Marteen. It's so much easier because we drive.

Work for a wine importer - keep a couple of these in my suitcase since I'm often traveling with a spare bottle or two for work.

Reusable & works great, lots of options out there but here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Wine-Bottle-Protector-Sleeve/dp/B01F6CDE40

Agree, we got some at a winery 5-6 years ago and always take them with us just in case.

You really need to know the prices of the liquor you are buying. For what we like, we have found that the price differential is very small, or sometimes we can get a better price at Binny's when they have sales. We tried traveling with a bottle of tequila in our suitcase once that we got from a factory tour- wrapped carefully and cushioned with clothes all around. Opened up the suitcase to a broken bottle and a mess. Unless you are saving alot of money I personally would never chance it again.

That is a catch 22. It isn’t worth going thru the hassle to save maybe a few dollars on the cheaper liquor. The other is you buy a very expensive liquor that cost a few hundred to maybe a $1000 or more only to discover that you end up with a broken mess. 😱😰

A few years back I seen Louis XIII on board duty free for $2499. It was at the Costco in Lantana for $2399.

Drink up 🍺🍻🍹🍷🍸🥂🍾

That is a catch 22. It isn’t worth going thru the hassle to save maybe a few dollars on the cheaper liquor. The other is you buy a very expensive liquor that cost a few hundred to maybe a $1000 or more only to discover that you end up with a broken mess. 😱😰

A few years back I seen Louis XIII on board duty free for $2499. It was at the Costco in Lantana for $2399.

Drink up 🍺🍻🍹🍷🍸🥂🍾

I've seen that bottle of Louis XIII many times, more that I should spend. We also want to use all our non-refundable credit. We live in Washington state with no state income tax, BUT all spirits are to be taxed at 20.5% on the shelf price in addition to a flat spirits liter tax of $3.7708/liter.

While I know it can happen. I've flown with 2 bottle of wine in each of my checked bags and brought spirits back from over 20 cruises. We have never had a bottle break. We do travel with hard side luggage. Now with the drink packages I dont bring any wine on our cruises.