Downgraded Suite and no resolution!

amscene1

Let me make something clear, I have no problem with the cabin I was assigned. I know what I was signing up for. If there was a rate for a jr/grand/crown loft or above I probably would have grabbed it regardless of price but their was not.

Luckily I was given a grand suite with a room number and all. A room number that I confirmed was given to someone else shortly after it was given too me.

Now maybe there is a new algorithm in the booking engine that allows these rooms to be still available after a certain amount of time to people who call in or are put on a waitlist or who are pinnacle but all I know is that is not right. In over 130 cruises this has never happened to me.

Believe me, in life, I’ve been baited and switched before but never has something as this shady or this significant happened, especially on my honeymoon. I originally booked a 2D accessible (I need the room for my mobility issue) and I know any suite will work and is large enough for a wheelchair so I’m not even complaining about the actual room or the perks because as I’ve said and spelled out, we have the drink and dining package. I will not use the concierge lounge, sundeck or probably even Ck for more than a dinner. It’s the principle of the whole thing. I just want this large company to do right to the consumer and I don’t feel I should have had to bring it this far. I’ve spent many hours on the phone, email, social media and here.

My goal is a fair resolution and I will let you all what they provide me with. So far, flowers, were about the biggest insult they could have offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have read the whole thread, you have not understood it.

They booked a balcony cabin for their honeymoon. (on the Harmony, leaving 9/15). They saw a W (which is a suite guarantee; this promises a Junior Suite "or higher") and rolled the dice and paid for it.

When they checked, they had been assigned a Grand Suite. When they checked again today, it had been changed to a JS. They feel robbed.

A W promises on a "JS or higher". Contractually, RC is within its rights to take the GS away and give them a JS. It doesn't matter why.

Is it disappointing? Sure. Is it a violation of anything. No.

Got it?

Thank you for explaining things. I must confess I was starting to get confused particularly as OP was not answering some basic questions.:)

How is this bait and switch? You booked a "W" and got a JS.:confused:

Wrong, I “GOT” a grand suite and was downgraded. This is not in the T&C and is wrong by everyone I talked to. They said that should not have happened.

Thank you for explaining things. I must confess I was starting to get confused particularly as OP was not answering some basic questions.:)

Extremely sorry, I started this post last night and I could not respond fast enough, I was also having dinner with my family.

Thanks for understanding!

Wrong, I “GOT” a grand suite and was downgraded. This is not in the T&C and is wrong by everyone I talked to. They said that should not have happened.

What is relevant is what category you booked and paid for.

Extremely sorry, I started this post last night and I could not respond fast enough, I was also having dinner with my family.

Thanks for understanding!

You don't have to be sorry to me. I was just getting confused and having a meal with your family is important imho.

What is relevant is what category you booked and paid for.

What is relevant is I was baited and switched. Look, you may not be able to understand it because maybe you never booked that category or you are extremely loyal to royal. If fact, you may have stole my grand suite for all I know.

I am not anyone’s cheerleader, even another loyal to royal person on here agreed with me. Whether I’m baited and switched by the local car dealership or Royal Caribbean International, shady business practices are wrong and in this day and age should not happen.

There is a lot of competition out there and I stay loyal to no one. I would be missing out if I did that and my general knowledge of other cruise lines wouldn’t be as good. Cruising is my life and maybe yours too, you would be upset if it happened to you and you would demand resolution as I am, especially with your status. I bet they would listen to you!

Let me make something clear, I have no problem with the cabin I was assigned. I know what I was signing up for. If there was a rate for a jr/grand/crown loft or above I probably would have grabbed it regardless of price but their was not.

Luckily I was given a grand suite with a room number and all. A room number that I confirmed was given to someone else shortly after it was given too me.

Now maybe there is a new algorithm in the booking engine that allows these rooms to be still available after a certain amount of time to people who call in or are put on a waitlist or who are pinnacle but all I know is that is not right. In over 130 cruises this has never happened to me.

Believe me, in life, I’ve been baited and switched before but never has something as this shady or this significant happened, especially on my honeymoon. I originally booked a 2D accessible (I need the room for my mobility issue) and I know any suite will work and is large enough for a wheelchair so I’m not even complaining about the actual room or the perks because as I’ve said and spelled out, we have the drink and dining package. I will not use the concierge lounge, sundeck or probably even Ck for more than a dinner. It’s the principle of the whole thing. I just want this large company to do right to the consumer and I don’t feel I should have had to bring it this far. I’ve spent many hours on the phone, email, social media and here.

My goal is a fair resolution and I will let you all what they provide me with. So far, flowers, were about the biggest insult they could have offered.

I have to say that I’ve read the entire thread. After your first post, I figured they owed you the ship. Started wondering why you didn’t ask for the difference in price from the GS you paid for to the JS you ended up with. Turns out you only paid for a W guarantee. With a guarantee, they don’t need to assign you a permanent cabin until boarding. The fact that you were originally assigned a GS and then reassigned to a JS, while disappointing, doesn’t mean you were given anything less than what you contracted for. Sorry, while the flowers were offered to appease you, they are more than they needed to offer. They really owe you nothing. You are getting what you paid for. Hope you have a great honeymoon.

What is relevant is I was baited and switched.

Ah, there's one of Cruise Critic's most overused and misused terms. How were you baited? I've never seen a (W) booking say that you are guaranteed a Grand Suite. I get it....RCI dangled a carrot and I agree, they probably should have stuck with what they first gave you. However, what you paid for was a category that included JSs so no, this is not a bait and switch. You got exactly what you paid for and agreed to.

"IF" you booked a "W" Guarantee the cabin that would be assigned to you would either be a JS or a GS.......both cabins would be at the same price. You didn't pay anything more or anything less for the cabin that you got.

And please, don't even throw Pinnacles into this situation. Upgrades are few and far between at Royal.

"IF" you booked a "W" Guarantee the cabin that would be assigned to you would either be a JS or a GS.......both cabins would be at the same price. You didn't pay anything more or anything less for the cabin that you got.

And please, don't even throw Pinnacles into this situation. Upgrades are few and far between at Royal.

I got a grand suite, end of story.

Unless the guarantee said ‘we’ll give you a GS’ it’s not bait and switch. I know you’re upset. I totally understand why. But they haven’t done anything illegal, just crappy. I think you need to let go of thinking they have breached any actual rules or contracts because they haven’t, and you’re not going to get any resolution from anyone based on that notion. They have however been quite cruel, assigning you a GS and then moving you and acting as if it never happened. It’s mean and it’s heartless, especially since it’s your honeymoon. They’re not going to put you back in the GS, but if you have an idea of what might make it sting a little less, then ask for that.

What is relevant is I was baited and switched. Look, you may not be able to understand it because maybe you never booked that category or you are extremely loyal to royal. If fact, you may have stole my grand suite for all I know.

I am not anyone’s cheerleader, even another loyal to royal person on here agreed with me. Whether I’m baited and switched by the local car dealership or Royal Caribbean International, shady business practices are wrong and in this day and age should not happen.

There is a lot of competition out there and I stay loyal to no one. I would be missing out if I did that and my general knowledge of other cruise lines wouldn’t be as good. Cruising is my life and maybe yours too, you would be upset if it happened to you and you would demand resolution as I am, especially with your status. I bet they would listen to you!

In order to bait and switch the bait would have to be a promise of a GS. You only ever received a promise of a JS which is what you ultimately received. Again yes it sucks and yes Total could have done more but calling it a bait and switch is not accurate.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

How is this bait and switch? You booked a "W" and got a JS.:confused:

I agree. Bait and switched seems to be a missused term.

OP paid for a GTY Suite, which guarantee a JS or possibly better. In the end they have ended up in a JS. If they wanted a suite larger they should have booked what they wanted. Occasionally there is a GS GTY rate guaranteeing a GS or better. This is the guarantee that would have supplied what they wanted.

It sucks that this is happened, especially on their Honeymoon. However with GTY one takes a risk. Fortunately the JS still gives them the space for their accessibility needs. In that case why book the smaller cabin in the start, only to then pay for the GTY upgrade.

All that being said they might still get shuffled to another room before embarkation day. I think I remember reading of people not knowing their room until the day before or checking in at the pier. Hopefully the OP gets a nice surprise.

"What is relevant is I was baited and switched."

Incorrect. When you accepted the upgrade, you were told you would get a JS or better. You have received that.

Bait and switch is when you are told you are paying for something, and then receive something different.

"RCI dangled a carrot"

Again, incorrect.

Had RCI offered a GS, and then after payment was made, offered something different, that would have been dangling a carrot.

Good experience or not, RCI have delivered exactly what was offered, and exactly what was paid for. Would I be disappointed in the same situation? Undoubtedly. Would I have a legitimate complaint? Nope.

"RCI dangled a carrot"

Again, incorrect.

Had RCI offered a GS, and then after payment was made, offered something different, that would have been dangling a carrot.

That was my quote. You took it out of context. It was a metaphor related to the GS that RCI actually did assign them.

In order to bait and switch the bait would have to be a promise of a GS. You only ever received a promise of a JS which is what you ultimately received. Again yes it sucks and yes Total could have done more but calling it a bait and switch is not accurate.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

An assigned room and number in my book is a promise.

I have read this whole discussion and I totally agree with the OP. If it was me I would go on the ship and demand my GS cabin that was given too me. It’s clear they took it away from him and gave it to someone else who paid more or had “status”

I have read this whole discussion and I totally agree with the OP. If it was me I would go on the ship and demand my GS cabin that was given too me. It’s clear they took it away from him and gave it to someone else who paid more or had “status”

And I see you're on the same cruise as the OP. Hmmmm.