Thinking about upgrading question

bullsh

we are on adventure ots on 2 dec we are booked in a group. We have an aft balcony thinking about going into a JS. They have a Guarantee for $300 cheaper than to pick your room on the website. it only shows 8 rooms left if I do a guarantee room would it be one of those or do they hold other rooms back for guarantee rooms

we are on adventure ots on 2 dec we are booked in a group. We have an aft balcony thinking about going into a JS. They have a Guarantee for $300 cheaper than to pick your room on the website. it only shows 8 rooms left if I do a guarantee room would it be one of those or do they hold other rooms back for guarantee rooms

Could be either, no way of knowing.

There is also upgrading going on the last few weeks. We had a hump balcony and were upgraded a few days before sailing to a JS. When we got to our cabin we found extra luggage outside our door from the original people who were upgraded to a GS which left our original balcony to someone who may have been given a same category upgrade which left their cabin as a upgrade for someone else. As you can see there are many moves the last few weeks and many cabins open up. The good thing is if you are not happy where they put you a change to a different location is a easy no charge move to any same category cabin anywhere on the ship. Which then leaves your cabin open fore someone to change to. Don't know how this was accomplished before computers. So the answer is no, no telling where you end up. Only caveat is make sure you will be happy with any JS they might give you. GTY's Are usually cabins that go unchosen.

If you book a "suite" gty, it's likely a JS is what you'll get. A JS is a GREAT space. No downside, IMO! They will upgrade folks who paid for a JS, in order to give you one, most likely. It's rare to get something better, but it does happen sometimes!

This far out and with that many available cabins, they will probably assign you a specific JS within a few days of your switching/ upgrading. At that time, you can call and swap to any other JS within the category that is still available. I do this all the time after booking a guarantee cabin. Sometimes, I swap cabins a number of times as better ones open up, all having started with a guarantee booking.

Edited by pretzlaff

They are only showing the 8 JS. No other suites show available. I would be happy with 4 of the 8. I could pay $300 more and pick my JS. If that is the only eight JS that they have I have a 50% chance of being happy with what I get. If I don’t get what I want they all are in the same category I can switch if still available. The question is do they hold a lower class of JS back for the guarantee room? I would not be able to switch to one of the ones I prefer if I get a lower class JS

There is indeed a chance that you are not assigned a JS within a few days, then someone cancels a lower level one and you do get assigned to it.

I do not believe that they would do this on purpose, or that this is a “scam” that is corporate policy.

Much, much more likely that you get what is available. Very unlikely that you will get higher than JS.

Seems odd that all the lower ones are sold and still 8 better ones are still available.

I recently did a Suite Guarantee on Allure of the Seas wherein several JS were still open; in my opinion, I received the best JS out of all of them. There were 5 or 6 left, and we received the only one that had a hump (read: larger) balcony. It also helped that the JS was on deck 14, our preferred deck.

Point being - I am not so sure they just assign the lowest category/worst room out of all available. Whereas our preference for deck 14 is entirely subjective, the hump balcony - of course - is usually higher sought after.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently did a Suite Guarantee on Allure of the Seas wherein several JS were still open; in my opinion, I received the best JS out of all of them. There were 5 or 6 left, and we received the only one that had a hump (read: larger) balcony. It also helped that the JS was on deck 14, our preferred deck.

Point being - I am not so sure they just assign the lowest category/worst room out of all available. Whereas our preference for deck 14 is entirely subjective, the hump balcony - of course - is usually higher sought after.

But many people consider Deck 14 NOT a good choice because of noise from the pool deck. I am glad that you were happy with that assignment - not everyone would have been. :) (and probably why it was available to be assigned to you :) )

But many people consider Deck 14 NOT a good choice because of noise from the pool deck. I am glad that you were happy with that assignment - not everyone would have been. :) (and probably why it was available to be assigned to you :) )

When we priced out the available JSs (if we were to actually pay for them, not just book a suite guarantee), the cabin we received would have cost $600 more than the other available JSs (I remember specifically one was on 8, and another was on another preferable deck - I made a thread about it and commenters pointed out that the remaining JSs were in desirable locations). I can only assume that the JS we were in cost more $ because of the hump deck... but maybe that’s why it was assigned to us? Because why would someone - logically and realistically - pay $600 more to have a little bit larger of a balcony? *shrugs*

When we priced out the available JSs (if we were to actually pay for them, not just book a suite guarantee), the cabin we received would have cost $600 more than the other available JSs (I remember specifically one was on 8, and another was on another preferable deck - I made a thread about it and commenters pointed out that the remaining JSs were in desirable locations). I can only assume that the JS we were in cost more $ because of the hump deck... but maybe that’s why it was assigned to us? Because why would someone - logically and realistically - pay $600 more to have a little bit larger of a balcony? *shrugs*

And yet, they do. I don't get it either, but some people think that they are going to live on the balcony. ;) :D

There is also upgrading going on the last few weeks. We had a hump balcony and were upgraded a few days before sailing to a JS. When we got to our cabin we found extra luggage outside our door from the original people who were upgraded to a GS which left our original balcony to someone who may have been given a same category upgrade which left their cabin as a upgrade for someone else. As you can see there are many moves the last few weeks and many cabins open up. The good thing is if you are not happy where they put you a change to a different location is a easy no charge move to any same category cabin anywhere on the ship. Which then leaves your cabin open fore someone to change to. Don't know how this was accomplished before computers. So the answer is no, no telling where you end up. Only caveat is make sure you will be happy with any JS they might give you. GTY's Are usually cabins that go unchosen.

Everything we do is on computers today but even 35+ years ago there was computers at the Pier to upgrade on. Back when upgrades were common on most cruises in 80's when ships sailed with 5-10% empty cabin's. Now Royal ships sail consistently at 105%+ capacity...

Everything we do is on computers today but even 35+ years ago there was computers at the Pier to upgrade on. Back when upgrades were common on most cruises in 80's when ships sailed with 5-10% empty cabin's. Now Royal ships sail consistently at 105%+ capacity...

Ive seen this mentioned several time now! How do they sail at 105% Do they have 5% sleeping on lounge chairs by the pool deck?

Ive seen this mentioned several time now! How do they sail at 105% Do they have 5% sleeping on lounge chairs by the pool deck?

100% capacity is every cabin occupied.

When many of those cabins have 3 or 4 people in them, the ship sails “above” 100% capacity.

😉

Update

I was going to pay the extra $300 so I could pick my JR suite. When I called to do the switch I did ask if the had any Grand or Owners suite available, she responded that it looked like the just had a Grand suite that opened. She quoted me $2515 which is &1,00 more than what I paid for my aft Balcony but only $50 more than what I was willing to pay for a Jr suite. After this cruise with double point it will give us 81 (Diamond)

I feel this is a win for us

Thanks for all the responses

Update

I was going to pay the extra $300 so I could pick my JR suite. When I called to do the switch I did ask if the had any Grand or Owners suite available, she responded that it looked like the just had a Grand suite that opened. She quoted me $2515 which is &1,00 more than what I paid for my aft Balcony but only $50 more than what I was willing to pay for a Jr suite. After this cruise with double point it will give us 81 (Diamond)

I feel this is a win for us

Thanks for all the responses

So it was $1000 to upgrade to a GS?

Sent from my iPad using Forums