Desperate for advice - Any cruise with Naples as a stop

addictedtoink

Hi folks! I’m in desperate need of advice; my mother’s cancer has metastasised and chemo and surgery are no longer options. She’s mentioned many, many times over the years how she’d like to go back to visit the island of Capri and she also said she’d like to take another cruise. Ideally I’d like to go in October and I was wondering if anyone has any advice; what are good ports to start from/end at, which cruise line would you recommend, what’s a good way to get from Naples to Capri, are there any tours to Capri you’d recommend etc. I’m open to any cruise line as I can’t afford to be picky given how close October is.

Normally I’d do the bulk of the research myself but seeing as time is of the essence I thought you well-seasoned travellers would have good suggestions. We live in Australia and Europe is a long way from here, so any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

A Rome embarkation or disembarkation port is probably the best for extending a few days before or after a cruise, lots of cruise lines offer this.

Mebbe a Venice to Rome cruise? RCI, Princess, Celebrity, I think, and mebbe others.

As Kerry's post, the train Rome to Naples is easy.

Or rent a car (not for any time that you spend in Rome itself :eek:) if you want that convenience around Sorrento, Amalfi, Pompeii etc. The road from Rome to Naples is easy-peasy.

You can certainly visit Capri from a Naples port-of-call, a direct hour-long ferry ride from near the cruise terminal.

Or from a Salerno or Amalfi or Sorrento port-of-call, there are Capri ferries from all of them though of those only Salerno is used by mass-market lines.

Do check hours in port - especially for MSC or Costa, who often have short hours in port.

JB :)

It looks like there are quite a few cruises stopping at Naples in October. Can you give a little more guidance regarding what you're thinking of? How many days? What type of cruise line? (Luxury, mass-market?)

Princess has a number of ships calling at Naples on cruises ranging from 11 to 24 days. They have some good Med itineraries and are a solid mid-level line.

Cunard's Queen Victoria has some itineraries -- but perhaps you wouldn't feel like dressing up for the evenings, which is required.

Oceania is a premium line, more expensive but great food, smaller ships and a sort of 'smart casual' atmosphere.

All of these lines and more would work in your timeframe. I would really suggest you try to find a good travel agent who can help you arrange the details. They can also assist with logistics of transportation (getting to/from the port city, air arrangements).

Capri from Naples is easy: there is a fast ferry/hydrofoil service that departs from the pier right next to where the cruise ships dock. It takes about an hour. When you get to Capri, there are small boats that will take you to the Blue Grotto (if your mother wants to see/revisit it), or a funicular that will take you up to Capri Town. There are also local buses to get to Anacapri. It's pretty easy to get around on your own.

You can do. "Find a Cruise, at the top of the page, here on CC, and put in the Month, and then select Naples as a desired port.

Many show up!!!

I like the looks of the 10 night Italy and Greece on the Celebrity Reflection.

There is the Med. Dream on the HAL Koningsdam.

I would not be huge fan of the Emerald. (even though we like Princess!!). Getting older, and not getting great reviews right now.

MSC has a 7-Day from Marseille. If that would be a place that she might especially enjoy.

Take a look at the cruises that are offered, and then maybe pick out 1 - 2 - or 3, and ask for some further recommendations.

We are all wishing you the best!

Since a couple of folks have mentioned MSC, I'll just add my 2 cents that MSC is an Italian line -- often the hours in port are shorter than some of the other cruise lines. If you're considering them, be sure you compare with other lines.

For example, they may only give a partial day somewhere like Athens or Naples, where you really need the full day in order not to feel rushed....

Also, there will be multiple non-English speakers aboard with announcements in many languages and reviews often reflect unhappiness with quality of food.

I’d add that if you can get MSC yacht club, though, it might be nice for your mom. The dedicated lounge is quiet, service is good, and you get expedited embarkation and on/off the ship at ports. She may appreciate/need those perks.

Still doesn't address the short port times, however. Of the two MSC cruises I looked up in early October, one stops in Naples from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm only; another is there from 1:00 pm to 7:30 pm.

IMO that's not enough time. Most ships are in Naples for something like 12 hours. Crown Princess, for example is there from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm on two different dates; Celebrity ships are there from 7:00 am to 6:30 pm....

Beware of MSC and their short port days. Try to get a cruise that offers 10 to 12 hours in port. There are many options.

Cruise Critic has a cruise finder tool that lets you search by port.

This could be the time to try a smaller luxury cruise ship line like Seabourn, Windstar, Silverseas, SeaDream, etc..

I'm going to Naples in January on Viking. Viking Oceans does have at least a few cruises that go to Naples in October 2018. It's a very nice cruise line, but not the cheapest. They do, however, include a free excursion in each port (but not Capri) and beer & wine at lunch and dinner. I don't know if they include an excursion to Capri, as we're there New Years Day (8 to 5) and the whole city is practically shut down from what we've been told.

The boats to Capri go from a place that is apparently fairly close to where cruise ships dock. If you're up to doing a trip on your own, from what I've read, it's pretty easy. If not (for example, you don't have time to do basic research), I'm guessing the cruise ship you choose may have an excursion. If you go on your own, from what I've heard, you should get your return ferry or hydrofoil ticket early in the day, as ones in mid to late afternoon book up quickly. Of course, October may be a little different.

Make sure the day you're scheduled to visit is not a major Italian holiday, as hydrofoil (faster) and ferry boats might go out much less often. The tourism office in Capri has told me that New Years Day there may not be ANY boats running - sigh! They advised calling a day ahead to ask about availability.

To get an idea of which cruise ships will be in Naples in October, you can look at the Naples port website here: http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=245

I did a quick look and it appears Holland America, MSC, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Seven Seas, Celebrity, Princess, Oceana (which is not same as Oceania, which we love), Aida (but it's Italian or German, maybe no English) and more will have ships there. The port site includes the hours that each ship plans to be in port. Then you could call a travel agent to ask what's available, or google each cruise line and query Naples as a destination. Many ships that visit Naples start or end in Rome/Civitavecchi, so you'd fly into Rome for many.

Edited by roothy123

Given that going to Capri is something important for your Mum, I wonder if you ought to fly into Rome, cruise from there and spend perhaps three days in Naples pre cruise. I always think that it is unwise to make one port stop so crucial. If you really think one of the stops is important then you should visit from land when the odd autumn storm or an engine failure may not get in the way of your chance to visit what is a very beautiful island.

We are due to go on the Epic from Barcelona in October. We do call in to Naples, but only today I checked to see how many suites are available and it seems like the ship is pretty fully booked through the whole of October. This is the time for a TA I would have thought.

I hope that you have a lovely time together.