Grandeur scheduled for drydock 3/16/2019.

Arzeena

Yep, that's when the clock starts for regulatory purposes. My current ship was delivered in December, but we sailed 20 hours down to Charleston, and spent the next 3 months being converted, before we started our charter to the oil company, yet all of our class and regulatory certificates date from December.

Great info again Cheng.... thank you for being a part of this forum.

Say, I guess this all plays into being a good reason for the cruise lines to consider removing ships from their fleet when they are over 20 yrs of age? I'm guessing cancelling 3-4 weeks of revenue producing cruises from an asset every 2.5 years instead of once every 5 years is not a good thing for the bottom line.

Off topic... have you heard any rumors about any of the remaining Vision Class ships (or Majesty or Empress) being for sale... or close to being sold?

No idea Delta.

I am wondering if this dry dock is part of the "Amp Up" initiative?

I did not see the Grandeur on the list.

I don't think the "amplified" program applies to Vision class, Radiance class, Majesty or Empress.

Was your ship built in the US?

Yep, Jones Act tanker. Converted to a "shuttle tanker" that goes between an offshore production ship (attached to a number of deepwater oilwells) and take the crude from there to the refineries in the Gulf coast. Built at Aker Philadelphia.

March 16-28 cruise is still showing on our TA's website, along with March 7-16 and March 28-April 6. They are usually pretty accurate and up to date. ???

I just looked at a big online TA site and the March 7-16 cruise is saying sold out but the other 2 March cruises are still showing. I will be bummed if the March 16 cruise is cancelled. I used my last '"old next cruise certificates" on this cruise. It gave a generous OBC and a reduced refundable deposit. Does anyone know if they cancel will that negate this certificate or will I be able to use this for another cruise in the future. After all. I would not be cancelling. :eek:

Well, dang, to put it mildly!:mad: Not the news I was expecting to wake up to on a finally sunny Saturday morning.:( Wonder when we will hear something official. Any ideas on what they will do to help us with changes and to make/keep us whole fare wise?

I would be interested in this, too.

We were looking at the 2 cruises on either side of the March 16 cruise to do a B2B. I am glad we did not book one of those yet. We may need to go in a whole other direction.

Great info again Cheng.... thank you for being a part of this forum.

Say, I guess this all plays into being a good reason for the cruise lines to consider removing ships from their fleet when they are over 20 yrs of age? I'm guessing cancelling 3-4 weeks of revenue producing cruises from an asset every 2.5 years instead of once every 5 years is not a good thing for the bottom line.

Off topic... have you heard any rumors about any of the remaining Vision Class ships (or Majesty or Empress) being for sale... or close to being sold?

Well, certainly after 15 years, when the 3rd special survey kicks in (and the exemption from the intermediate dry dock is gone), the cost of inspections and possible repairs to older ships starts to increase exponentially. So, yes, this is one reason the cruise lines sell off the older ships rather than doing a lot of modernization (bells and whistles) (Carnival excepted), but sometimes they will keep an older ship if it has a good following, sells well, or just has a niche market that it can fill at a price to cover expenses.

I don't follow the used cruise ship market, but there are always some ships out there as "stalking horses" to see what the used ship market will bear. NCL has had the Sky "for sale" for about a decade. It really all depends on the market forecast, and what anticipated capacity the lines feel they will need, either temporarily or permanently.

Neither am I!

I jumped ship from the Gem to see St Croix on the Grandeur. :( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:. Didn't want to fly to other ports. Don't like to go to the Bahamas on the Anthem, Pride or Escape. ( Wanted the moon ! LOL:D). So I am going to rub the magic lamp and wish and wish that the rep was talking about another cruise.

I TOLD you to book with me on November 30! ;) :D

Yep, Jones Act tanker. Converted to a "shuttle tanker" that goes between an offshore production ship (attached to a number of deepwater oilwells) and take the crude from there to the refineries in the Gulf coast. Built at Aker Philadelphia.

Gritty is very happy to hear that.

GPDOM3P7AZHI3J7RJNSLKEUVYM.jpg

Well, certainly after 15 years, when the 3rd special survey kicks in (and the exemption from the intermediate dry dock is gone), the cost of inspections and possible repairs to older ships starts to increase exponentially. So, yes, this is one reason the cruise lines sell off the older ships rather than doing a lot of modernization (bells and whistles).

Thx Cheng. Never mind Grandeur... Blows me away that Voyager will be 20 yrs old next November! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums