Auto-Gratuities bring raised

BellaSweet

From Carnival:

Dear Carnival Guest,

Effective with all cruises departing on or after December 1, 2018, the recommended onboard gratuities will be as follows:

• Standard staterooms: $13.99, per person, per day

• Suites: $15.99, per person, per day

The recommended gratuities are automatically added to your onboard Sail & Sign® account as a convenience. However, while on board, you are free to adjust gratuities at your discretion. No adjustments will be made after the cruise.

Guests who have booked directly with Carnival may visit our website to pre-pay their gratuities online prior to December 1, 2018, at the current rates ($12.95 per person, per day for standard staterooms and $13.95 per person, per day for suites).  Should you decide to do so, follow these simple instructions:

• Visit Carnival.com and access "Your Cruise Manager"

• Click on "Cruise Details" 

• "Add" under "Prepaid Gratuities" 

100% of the gratuities go towards our shipboard team members.  They work hard to provide exceptional and friendly service, so we hope you will agree that this minor increase is well deserved.

We welcome our guests showing appreciation for the crew's efforts and the entire team looks forward to having you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise!

This is 100% fine by me..those people work so hard.

Probably be lots of these postings, I already replied to one that it's a $1 pp per day increase, or $14 for a couple, so no big deal.

Families of 5 will have a $35 increase for a week cruise.

I hope no one is in a rush to delete tips the last night of a cruise because of this increase.  The crew deserve it, and for the vast majority, they certainly earn it.

Just saw the same thing and it will affect my December B2B.   Holland America is doing the same and it also takes effect December 1st and will affect my NYE cruise.   

Carnival gives the option to prepay at current rate.  As far as I can tell, Holland America doesn't.  

Edited by molole

Am I being cheap because I'm upset with most cruise lines? They call it 'Gratuities', but why should WE be paying THEIR employees?! That's how I'm starting to feel, that the cruise lines are taking advantage of us and making US pay their employees! I l like the term 'behind the scenes' employees! Now we're paying them too!!!??

Just drop the term gratuities or service charge, and call it what it is: PAYROLL FEE!

Edited by klfhngr

33 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Am I being cheap because I'm upset with most cruise lines? They call it 'Gratuities', but why should WE be paying THEIR employees?! That's how I'm starting to feel, that the cruise lines are taking advantage of us and making US pay their employees! I l like the term 'behind the scenes' employees! Now we're paying them too!!!??

Just drop the term gratuities or service charge, and call it what it is: PAYROLL FEE!

Given the long history of tipping on cruises, I have to disagree respectfully.

Wait staff in restaurants expect tips, and are therefore paid less in wages.

Likewise, certain crew positions sign contracts for specified wages, with the understanding the position they are accepting can expect tips.

Most major mass market cruise lines suggest the same method of collecting tips, and most make it easy to increase, decrease, or completely eliminate the tips.  What they call it is immaterial.

It's an easy way to tip without carrying cash all over the ship every day and without seeking out people you want to tip.

To answer the question you first asked in your post, do you walk out of restaurants without tipping? Only you know whether you should consider yourself cheap.

12 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Given the long history of tipping on cruises, I have to disagree respectfully.

Wait staff in restaurants expect tips, and are therefore paid less in wages.

Likewise, certain crew positions sign contracts for specified wages, with the understanding the position they are accepting can expect tips.

Most major mass market cruise lines suggest the same method of collecting tips, and most make it easy to increase, decrease, or completely eliminate the tips.  What they call it is immaterial.

It's an easy way to tip without carrying cash all over the ship every day and without seeking out people you want to tip.

To answer the question you first asked in your post, do you walk out of restaurants without tipping? Only you know whether you should consider yourself cheap.

In general, we are great tippers.... My wife depends on tips (hair dresser). I never had an issue with gratuities, but things have changed dramatically in the cruise industry. I didn't mind it back in the day when you tipped your primary staff, and the drink tips as they came. But they seem to find more and more excuses for raising them and adding more and more staff to the pot. My point: We take care of the primaries, you take care of your 'behind the scenes' staff. 

When we go to a restaurant, we tip the waiter. We don't tip the busboys, the staff that washes the towels, etc. I know that there's more to this, but come on, take care of YOUR people!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

My only gripe is that they allow people to remove the charges.

If they can't be removed, then just add them to the fare. And do away with the whole gratuity system. Then people can tip for good service, rather than social convention.

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I'm not opposed to these charges or even the $1 extra. These people work HARD. 

My only gripe is that they allow people to remove the charges. I wonder how much extra we all pay for those who don't want to.

I agree that they work hard, so why don't the cruise lines pick up the slack? You know why, because they know that WE will! 

We've never removed them, but we've given some staff additional cash. 

I know that I'll come off as cheap, but I'm really not. It's the principle behind this.... Great companies are created by great leaders, and great leaders take care of their people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

In general, we are great tippers.... My wife depends on tips (hair dresser). I never had an issue with gratuities, but things have changed dramatically in the cruise industry. I didn't mind it back in the day when you tipped your primary staff, and the drink tips as they came. But they seem to find more and more excuses for raising them and adding more and more staff to the pot. My point: We take care of the primaries, you take care of your 'behind the scenes' staff. 

When we go to a restaurant, we tip the waiter. We don't tip the busboys, the staff that washes the towels, etc. I know that there's more to this, but come on, take care of YOUR people!

I can see, and even understand, your points.  I also see and understand the other side.

How about as civilized people who enjoy cruising, we agree to disagree?

1 minute ago, bury me at sea said:

I can see, and even understand, your points.  I also see and understand the other side.

How about as civilized people who enjoy cruising, we agree to disagree?

I feel the same way, lol.... And I totally understand both sides, I really do.

Agreed!

You and your wife meet up with my daughter and me after early dining at the piano bar, Sunday April 6, on the Freedom.  I'll buy the first round, including tips.  You'll come out ahead because I will be headed back to the cabin when it's time to order the second round.

Happy sailing.

5 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You and your wife meet up with my daughter and me after early dining at the piano bar, Sunday April 6, on the Freedom.  I'll buy the first round, including tips.  You'll come out ahead because I will be headed back to the cabin when it's time to order the second round.

Happy sailing.

Nice, free drinks! And without the nuisance! Love it!

I thought we were on the same page, i guess not! LOL!

Edited by klfhngr