Southern Caribbean 10 day Equinox

MrJulius

Sailing in a week.

I don't plan on bringing a jacket for this cruise.  Can anyone tell me what two nights are the Chic dress code in the MDR for this particular cruise?

I would like to make specialty dining reservations for those two nights.

Thanks in advance.

MrJulius

On Infinity last year, was just fine with a couple "fun" patterned long sleeve button-down shirts with black dress jeans or slacks.  No coat or tie. Normally I like to wear button down Hawaiian shirts, but this was a fun way to do something different for Chic nights without taking lots of room in the suitcase.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:56 PM, MrJulius said:

Sailing in a week.

I don't plan on bringing a jacket for this cruise.  Can anyone tell me what two nights are the Chic dress code in the MDR for this particular cruise?

Thanks in advance.

MrJulius

We always dress casual for every night.  A lot of people love to disagree with this but ..Its my holiday.  My DH always wears slacks and a collared golf shirt to dinner, I wear capris and a collared golf shirt or dressier style t-shirt.   Its vacation , no ironing required , be comfortable.......We never have an issue in any of the dining rooms.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:56 PM, MrJulius said:

Sailing in a week.

Thanks in advance.

MrJulius

Time to get a pair.  Leave the jacket at home and join the crowd in a nice Hawaiian shirt.  They don’t take up much room in the suitcase, perhaps you should bring two.

We were on Reflection in March and were surprised how casual it was compared to our previous couple of European cruises. Better half’s suit and one of my ‘posh frocks’ seemed too ‘unCaribbean’ casual! We ended up taking them but never using them. On our last cruise in the Med last month still a couple of full formal dressed guests, a few suits but most just dressed on chic nights as they would for a dinner in a nice restaurant. 

Can’t see my better half taking a suit on a cruise again.

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

We were on Reflection in March and were surprised how casual it was compared to our previous couple of European cruises. Better half’s suit and one of my ‘posh frocks’ seemed too ‘unCaribbean’ casual! We ended up taking them but never using them. On our last cruise in the Med last month still a couple of full formal dressed guests, a few suits but most just dressed on chic nights as they would for a dinner in a nice restaurant. 

Can’t see my better half taking a suit on a cruise again.

I'm with your husband;  I'll never take a tux or suit on a cruise again, but for some a sports jacket or blazer is now too much to handle?  It doesn't even have to be packed;  I'll wear it on the plane and in chilly weather, it is a bonus.  If my wife dresses well, as she always does, I certainly am  going to be sure I look as if I belong with her.

Edited by BosoxI

9 minutes ago, BosoxI said:

I'm with your husband;  I'll never take a tux or suit on a cruise again, but for some a sports jacket or blazer is now too much to handle?  It doesn't even have to be packed;  I'll wear it on the plane and in chilly weather, it is a bonus.  If my wife dresses well, as she always does, I certainly am  going to be sure I look as if I belong with her.

I'm sure she would be happy to be accompanied by her own Magnum PI in a Hawaiian shirt.

2 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

I'm sure she would be happy to be accompanied by her own Magnum PI in a Hawaiian shirt.

As long as I am on a cruise with those I love I don’t care what they (or anyone) wears! 

I must say when chic night was first first introduced I did think I would miss the special ‘dressing up’ nights. However, I think we (like many) had been, seen, done that and are now happier with nice but more casual (and comfortable) wear.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, bigbeergut said:

Ha!    It would take a Magnum pointed at my temple to get me to wear one.  🙂 

In the Caribbean, you might  see a few suits or sports jackets on Chic nights. There are dress shirts and slacks and some men wear polos every night. My husband brings a few guayaberas and wears them with slacks. They're neat looking and light weigh, appropriate for the Caribbean. 

If you keep in mind that shorts and flip flops aren't allowed in the MDR after six, you won't have any trouble meeting the dress code. 

I'll jump in on the other side - we don't get the opportunity to dress up very often, and we only cruise once every couple of years on average. For our Caribbean cruise next month, I have two long formal dresses (one with a very short train and one sequined) and nice cocktail dresses for every other evening. Husband will be wearing a suit for the chic nights and a button down shirt and nice slacks the rest of the time. I'm grateful that my husband willingly dresses up 😉 

But there are definitely those that do dress up. And yes, we fly to the port! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forever42 said:

I'll jump in on the other side - we don't get the opportunity to dress up very often, and we only cruise once every couple of years on average. For our Caribbean cruise next month, I have two long formal dresses (one with a very short train and one sequined) and nice cocktail dresses for every other evening. Husband will be wearing a suit for the chic nights and a button down shirt and nice slacks the rest of the time. I'm grateful that my husband willingly dresses up 😉 

But there are definitely those that do dress up. And yes, we fly to the port! 

I'm happy for you and I'll be the first person to compliment you and you husband on how nice you look.  You'll be able to identify me because I'll be the good looking guy in the Hawaiian shirt.😉

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, joyce&bob said:

Are long pants for men required in dining room on all nights? or can men wear dress shorts on casual nights?

I do not think so.  We eat in Luminae, but I cannot ever remember seeing any man in shorts in the MDR.  I do not think it is allowed for dinner ever.  I may be incorrect, someone who eats in the MDR please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Shorts are allowed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Long pants are required for dinner. Having said that, your mileage may vary. There are occasional reports of sightings of shorts in the MDR at dinner.  Just be prepared to go back to your cabin and change if you are wearing shorts at dinner. Shorts can be worn in the Oceanview Cafe at dinner time.