Jeans on "elegant" nights

The7Harrisons

On 10/20/2018 at 10:41 PM, Pellaz said:

If Carnival, with a casually enforced dress-code, is the "Wal-Mart" of cruise lines, what does that make Norwegian, with freestyle cruising and, effectively,  no dress code at all?    K-Mart?   Dollar Tree?   Big Lots?    😄 

NCL does have a dress code.  It's usually long pants in one of the main dining rooms and in the French restaurant.  No baseball hats during dinner.

Edited by CruisinCrow

4 hours ago, BNBR said:

I'll let you know when I find ONE.  As far as I could tell, they were more interested in providing stellar service and requesting 10's on the survey than risking their scores to chastise a guest who didn't realize it was formal night.  I walked past 30 staff including the maitre d' and nobody seemed to care one bit.  Just putting myself in their shoes... they want to serve their guests, they aren't interested in altercations over dress code in the slightest.

Friend the Senior Maitre'D for Carnival Ken Byrne.  He just posted on this very subject.  I understand the logic, but you have to draw the line in the sand (or water) somewhere.  

Edited by jimbo5544

On October 23, 2018 at 7:21 PM, cb at sea said:

Jeans are NEVER "elegant"..but on Carnival, they are accepted.

Just as they are on the amusement parks of the sea you like to frequent.

Edited by jimbo5544

I wear a pair of slacks every night with a golf shirt - country club casual.  On elegant nights a dress shirt and a sport jacket - no tie.  My wife will wear a nice pair of slacks and blouse every night.  I just wish they'd do away with elegant nights but enforce the rules on jeans, t-shirts, and flip-flops in the MDR!  But Carnival isn't alone in not enforcing dress code in the MDR.

We were on MSC 2 years ago.  One couple, who were not at our table the first night, showed up for elegant night in their, what I guess was, their dress t's, shorts and flip-flops.

I wore jeans once to a RCCL formal night, but only because my luggage was lost (it didn't come until the end of our 5th day!), and I didn't want to miss whatever was on the menu that night.  I was able to find a pair of black pants in the ship's store the next day, and those were my MDR uniform until the fifth night - my luggage arrived about an hour before the next formal night.

When I was walking in with my jeans, I wished for a minute that I had a little "lost luggage" sign, but realized that no one's meal should be ruined by having to see me walk by in jeans for a few seconds.  I also knew there were at least 15 other people with AWOL luggage (met them at guest services) who also weren't going to miss the meal because of it.

When you see someone in shorts or jeans, it may just be that they temporarily have nothing else to wear.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:44 PM, robc1972 said:

I dont wear jeans on a cruise but I have worn shorts on fancy night before.

Shorts and a polo shirt is perfectly fine for the dining room.

If anyone is bothered by what other people wear on their vacation maybe Cunard is where you belong instead of Carn

Absolutely no one is bothered by what people wear on their vacation, so watch out with that straw man.

if you go on vacation to Rome and spend the day in shorts, do you then go to dinner at a fancy restaurant with a clearly posted dress code wearing shorts?

People don’t care about what you’re wearing, they care about the rudeness and disrespect. And it’s not even the person who cares that you’re disrespecting. You are disrespecting the cruise ship and its employees.

And just to be clear, I’m not someone who cares. I expect people to be rude and disrespectful to the people who serve them.

On "Elegant" nights I wear business casual (Dockers and a long sleeve shirt).  On casual nights I wear either shorts or jeans with an understated "Aloha" shirt.  That seems to be within Carnival's dress code and works for me.  I used to wear a suit but after a few years of that I asked myself "Why?"

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, RW_MI said:

I wore jeans once to a RCCL formal night, but only because my luggage was lost (it didn't come until the end of our 5th day!), and I didn't want to miss whatever was on the menu that night.  I was able to find a pair of black pants in the ship's store the next day, and those were my MDR uniform until the fifth night - my luggage arrived about an hour before the next formal night.

When I was walking in with my jeans, I wished for a minute that I had a little "lost luggage" sign, but realized that no one's meal should be ruined by having to see me walk by in jeans for a few seconds.  I also knew there were at least 15 other people with AWOL luggage (met them at guest services) who also weren't going to miss the meal because of it.

When you see someone in shorts or jeans, it may just be that they temporarily have nothing else to wear.

I think that's why most cruise lines don't worry about the dress code on the first night.  A lot of people don't have their luggage yet.

16 hours ago, wytygr8 said:

Absolutely no one is bothered by what people wear on their vacation, so watch out with that straw man.

People don’t care about what you’re wearing, they care about the rudeness and disrespect. And it’s not even the person who cares that you’re disrespecting. You are disrespecting the cruise ship and its employees.

And just to be clear, I’m not someone who cares. I expect people to be rude and disrespectful to the people who serve them.

Clearly people ARE bothered by what other people wear on vacation, or else there wouldn't be such huge arguments about what is or isn't appropriate to wear to the MDR (or wherever).

How am I being disrespectful to ANYONE by wearing church jeans (which are the nicest pants I own) to elegant night? I do not own nice pants. I don't own a lot of dresses (mostly because I'm uncomfortable wearing them). I don't have any need for them in my day to day life and I'm not going to go buy special pants just for two, three nights out of the year. That's just silly and a waste of money.

And if you EXPECT people to be rude to servers, etc..wow. YOU must be a lot of fun at parties. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, simplelife said:

Having grown up in the Deep South,  I  was raised to respect suggested dress codes. 

Carnival’s dress code is not a suggestion. Their dress code clearly states jeans are not allowed in the MDR. The problem, for lack of a better word, is they don’t always enforce their own rules, especially recently. 

Personally I think the lack of enforcement  is part of Carnival’s overall strategy to market themselves to a different customer base.  Over the last year or so they have made changes like removing tablecloths from the MDR and moving towards only servicing rooms once a day.  There is frequent discussion/rumors about removing perks from Diamonds and Platinums. In my opinion they are clearly moving towards appealing to the first time cruiser or the infrequent cruiser and moving away from appealing to frequent, loyal cruisers. 

What someone wears on elegant night isn't going to affect my meal. I don't think anyone here has said that. I might side-eye them, but I'm certainly not going to spend the evening fretting over it.

There are some jeans that you can dress up rather nicely. Dark wash jeans, oxford, sports jacket and some loafers/boat shoes look great. There are many a wedding where that is the attire for the groom and groomsman and I think that looks fantastic (also when they wear a vest.) For women, I think it can be more tricky, but dark wash jeans, fancy top, jewelry and heels with hair and make-up done can look nice and dressy as well.

But, I do find it silly that people can't just simply follow the dress code. Do you teach your kids to disregard such things? My boys don't enjoy dressing up, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow them not to follow proper etiquette. It's poor manners and rude. And quite frankly embarrassing on my part if I don't teach my kids these sorts of things.

I find it hard to believe that an adult man doesn't have just one pair of slacks or khakis, and a button up or polo. I feel those are necessities that you will be required to wear at least some point in your adult life. Regardless of blue-collar or white-collar. You can go to Wal-Mart, Good Will, Salvation Army, Consignment shop, etc. and get both for under $30.

I like it better when instead of excusing the disregard of the dress code or explaining why it's fine, a person just admits they don't care or mind breaking the dress code and they have no intention of following it. Simple and honest!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 1:32 PM, IPlayWithString said:

How am I being disrespectful to ANYONE by wearing church jeans (which are the nicest pants I own) to elegant night?

They have clearly posted rules. You are flagrantly ignoring those rules. This isn’t rocket science.

52 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

They have clearly posted rules. You are flagrantly ignoring those rules. This isn’t rocket science.

Only 10 things were ever written in stone. Carnivals suggested dress code is NOT one of them.

9 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Only 10 things were ever written in stone. Carnivals suggested dress code is NOT one of them.

Please show me where the elegant night dress code is suggested?  The dress code clearly lists several items that are not allowed in the MDR to include jeans.  But like I posted previously in this thread, there is no doubt Carnival is moving towards appealing to a different customer base, which is why they don’t enforce the dress code (at least from my experience) nearly as much as they did a few years ago.  I think Carnival’s ideal ship of the future would be one with only Blue and Red cards on the cruise. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Please show me where the elegant night dress code is suggested?  The dress code clearly lists several items that are not allowed in the MDR to include jeans.  But like I posted previously in this thread, there is no doubt Carnival is moving towards appealing to a different customer base, which is why they don’t enforce the dress code (at least from my experience) nearly as much as they did a few years ago. 

They haven’t enforced the suggested dress code for the past 20 years when I started sailing with them.

My first couple of cruises, I ordered tuxes for myself and son. We were in the minority.

Then, I went to slacks and tie. Now I’m in slacks and polo’s.

However, my BIL went with us who is a long haul trucker. Single, lives out of his truck. All he owns is a couple pair of jeans, a few shirts, and work boots. Yes, he proudly went with us and had pictures taken and sat with us at dinner. He’s a very proud man, and we’re proud of him. The pants don’t make the man. 

Now the keyboard warriors get really upset about this. The people on the ship,,, not so much.

5 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

They haven’t enforced the suggested dress code for the past 20 years when I started sailing with them.

My first couple of cruises, I ordered tuxes for myself and son. We were in the minority.

Then, I went to slacks and tie. Now I’m in slacks and polo’s.

However, my BIL went with us who is a long haul trucker. Single, lives out of his truck. All he owns is a couple pair of jeans, a few shirts, and work boots. Yes, he proudly went with us and had pictures taken and sat with us at dinner. He’s a very proud man, and we’re proud of him. The pants don’t make the man. 

Now the keyboard warriors get really upset about this. The people on the ship,,, not so much.

It has been at least over a year, but I have seen several people (to include friends and family) not allowed in the MDR because they were in jeans.  Personally it doesn’t bother me what other people wear. I have been guilty more than once telling people you will be fine wearing jeans at the MDR, only to see them have to go back to their cabins and change pants. 

14 hours ago, klfrodo said:

What in the world does that have to do with anything?

And it’s not suggested. Some items are suggested, like a sport coat, suit, or tie, but dress slacks are the code, not a suggestion.

But if you really want to drag the Bible into it, what you said might make sense if you’re Jewish (I wouldn’t presume to know), but if you’re a Christian, Jesus added an additional commandment when he said, “thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself,” and ignoring an establishment’s dress code very clearly violates that. Perhaps you should talk to your minister about it for clarification.