Regal Medallion Net is Slow

MTNestr

On board now and internet is good.  Those that expect fast like on land, do not understand that on a ship there are different standards.  Problems with CC were CC and not our Internet service. As I posted before, the unlimited free Internet for Platinum/Elite will end after this cruise on Nov 11

Hank

I spoke with the Internet cafe manager yesterday and yes they have been having issues. It went down last night from 7pm to 10pm several times for up to 30 minutes at a time. They are trying to duplicate the codes and system from the CB. So hopefully they will work through it. 

3 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

I was on Regal last April.  Our internet was lousy and connections were constantly dropped.   Could not even check in for our flights. That's the real world of satellite radio and Wi-Fi internet which is a bit more complex than fully wired connections.

The current system onboard has nothing to do with what you experienced last April. 

18 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The current system onboard has nothing to do with what you experienced last April. 

The current system was installed in Nov 2017.  We cruised in Apr 2018.  The Regal had new antennae in Apr or so I was informed.  The problems may have been internal to the ship and not the sat connections.  Impossible for me to tell as there was zero chance of me getting at routers and access points.  My pure guess is that it was internal though I have zero evidence for this.

All I can say is YMMV.   Others on Regal's last Caribbean cruise and for the first half of April's trans-Atlantic posted

glowing (not radioactive, either  :classic_dry: ) reports on internet connectivity, equivalent to RCI's Voom.

For the last half of the trans-Atlantic, the Captain was on the 1MC, apologizing that they couldn't find a "usable",

"European" satellite, several times.

3 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

The current system was installed in Nov 2017.  We cruised in Apr 2018.  The Regal had new antennae in Apr or so I was informed.  The problems may have been internal to the ship and not the sat connections.  Impossible for me to tell as there was zero chance of me getting at routers and access points.  My pure guess is that it was internal though I have zero evidence for this.

There were a lot of things installed in Nov/Dec 2017 in regard to Medallion. Then everything came to a screeching halt as far as the Medallion installation. It was supposed to be done and operational at the end of last year. Obviously that didn’t happen. 

Once they get the system (Internet) tweaked and working as it does on the CB I think you will be amazed when you get to use it again. It’s very close but they have a ways to go with the cabins/locks etc still.

12 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I had pre purchased the unlimited package for $69 in case they did not offer the free for Platinum/Elite. I was pleasantly surprised that it was automatically credited back to my account!  Thank you Princess! 

Keith, is that for 7 or 14 days?   I paid $99 for 14 days.  That is the only offer we have received in the last 6 months.

Sandy

That is what I thought too and why I purchased it.   My friend paid that much and his plan included 4 devices - all at the same time - never needed to log out.  One device is enough for me and logging off is not that big of a deal.   The description for my plan does not mention any number of devices.   I probably will still compose off line like I have been doing since they dropped the unlimited in suites.   Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Hi to Tammy.

Just to clear the air I am on the Regal now and the Internet is just fine.  We are the only ship in St Maarten today.  As to the OM, nothing seems to be happening in terms of work.  Some Korn contractors are aboard working on sensors to upgrade elevator service.  Those with Medallions have to carry two things (OM and card) as opposed to everyone else just carrying a card.  Seems like a negative to me.🙈🙈

I did ask a senior crew member about the OM and got a laugh along with the comment that good things take time.  This is our third cruise on the Regal in the last 12 months and nothing has been improved other then the Internet service.

Hank

20 hours ago, Grumpy69 said:

What are the speeds with the VPN turned off?

I did try each time with it on and off and it didn’t matter with the slow speeds.  It does matter greatly at home.

Today the internet speed is great!!   I normally try to check at the same time of day (08:00 am)but do check additional times later in the day

B177E541-FEC7-46AD-B8CA-CE08FB15FBA9.png

On 11/6/2018 at 6:43 AM, MTNestr said:

I did try each time with it on and off and it didn’t matter with the slow speeds.  It does matter greatly at home.

Today the internet speed is great!!   I normally try to check at the same time of day (08:00 am)but do check additional times later in the day

B177E541-FEC7-46AD-B8CA-CE08FB15FBA9.png

I have tried with two different VPN applications.  I found with both of them the speed dropped significantly.  So,  I use the VPN now only when absolutely necessarily.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

I had pre purchased the unlimited package for $69 in case they did not offer the free for Platinum/Elite. I was pleasantly surprised that it was automatically credited back to my account!  Thank you Princess! 

Heading out on the Regal this upcoming Sunday 01/16 and did the same (paid, just in case) but have since been advised that it might be a fight to get a refund for Platinum / Elite. You're super active on here so wondered if you'd heard any additional information since posting?  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, WaterfordBee said:

Heading out on the Regal this upcoming Sunday 01/16 and did the same (paid, just in case) but have since been advised that it might be a fight to get a refund for Platinum / Elite. You're super active on here so wondered if you'd heard any additional information since posting?  Thanks.

Not sure what you mean about Platinum/Elite refund? 

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not sure what you mean about Platinum/Elite refund? 

Sorry for the confusion. Princess is now saying (on the phone) that as of November 11th Platinum / Elite no longer get Free Unlimited internet on CB or Regal. Others have said that Platinum and Elite are indeed still being given the Medallionnet since it's still in Testing mode, BUT if you pre-pay, it's been a big fight to get the refund. Wondering if you've heard of others getting the refund automatically as you did, or if you know any additional details regarding how they're handling Medallionnet on those two ships given your wealth of knowledge? Thanks

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WaterfordBee said:

Sorry for the confusion. Princess is now saying (on the phone) that as of November 11th Platinum / Elite no longer get Free Unlimited internet on CB or Regal. Others have said that Platinum and Elite are indeed still being given the Medallionnet since it's still in Testing mode, BUT if you pre-pay, it's been a big fight to get the refund. Wondering if you've heard of others getting the refund automatically as you did, or if you know any additional details regarding how they're handling Medallionnet on those two ships given your wealth of knowledge? Thanks

I saw where the discounted pre purchase ended in Nov (I was on that last Regal cruise) but I have not heard anyone saying that they still were able to get it on upcoming cruises.

Someone did say that they received a 25% discount (platinum/elite) on their purchase onboard but have not seen anyone else confirm that.

I don't think they are offering any pre purchase discount or free for unlimited at this time.

I know when I purchased the unlimited pre cruise the Platinum/Elite free minutes were gone. Maybe that's why they might be offering a discount onboard to make up for that.

• 1 month later...