New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

I already purchased The Key for our Oasis cruise in April but was just looking at my cruise planner and it doesn't even show up as an option anymore. But for our cruise in August, which I also purchased the Key, it still shows up. Wonder if that means it's sold out on my Oasis cruise?

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Sorry, i meant to say the amount of Key's remaining was NOT readily accessible. I changed my post but i think you knew meant. 🙂

And you bring up a good point, it's been said that the maximum cap is 100 for Key, does't mean every ship will have 100 to sell. Could be less on the smaller ships.

No i understood what you mean. 

I am thinking of a smaller ship like the Majesty... Even on a small ship like that, would 100 keys make a difference?  I don't think so, although doubt it would be offered they don't even have a specialty restaurant...   

We booked the key for our brilliance cruise in Feb. when my hubby and i are doing a cruise just the two of us.  I just added only two keys to our Adventure sailing without issue and it didn't make me purchase for my two older kids who will be 10 and 7 at sailing...so who knows if they will enforce it once on board...my kids don't use internet at this age but I won't use the flowerier (but my kids would) I would love to be able to trade off parts of the key!

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It'll probably take 6 months to a year for Royal's IT dept to fix the glitch. In the meantime, people will get used to the idea of purchasing The Key for just one person in a cabin.

Then, when the glitch is fixed and the rule finally enforced, expect CC to be flooded with complaints of the "new"  money-grabbing scam by Royal.:classic_biggrin:

You don't have to buy for everyone in the cabin online..but it WILL catch up to you...they have the right to revoke your key purchase because you didn't follow the rules when you purchased it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

We booked the key for our brilliance cruise in Feb. when my hubby and i are doing a cruise just the two of us.  I just added only two keys to our Adventure sailing without issue and it didn't make me purchase for my two older kids who will be 10 and 7 at sailing...so who knows if they will enforce it once on board...my kids don't use internet at this age but I won't use the flowerier (but my kids would) I would love to be able to trade off parts of the key!

Be careful..you didn't buy for the kids so they will remove the two you purchased if the whole cabin doesn't have the key when you get on board..better to buy for all 4 or don't get any at all..

The Key is available on my Serenade cruise in Sept.  Not sure it's worth the extra $140/pp though...mom and I probably won't be on board in time to take advantage of lunch at Chops and we won't really have carry-ons that we will feel comfortable leaving with someone.  At 82 & 56, mom and I are not going to take up rock climbing or the flowrider (which isn't on Serenade anyway right?) either.  And really - is there a bad seat in the house for the shows?  Only thing that we would take advantage of would be the priority debarkation in Boston since I had a airhead moment and booked an 11am flight.  Is that 1 item worth and extra $280? I don't think so.

I didn't read through all 35 pages, has anyone done this and was it truly worth it?  Specifically on a smaller ship like Serenade.

5 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

The Key is available on my Serenade cruise in Sept.  Not sure it's worth the extra $140/pp though...mom and I probably won't be on board in time to take advantage of lunch at Chops and we won't really have carry-ons that we will feel comfortable leaving with someone.  At 82 & 56, mom and I are not going to take up rock climbing or the flowrider (which isn't on Serenade anyway right?) either.  And really - is there a bad seat in the house for the shows?  Only thing that we would take advantage of would be the priority debarkation in Boston since I had a airhead moment and booked an 11am flight.  Is that 1 item worth and extra $280? I don't think so.

I didn't read through all 35 pages, has anyone done this and was it truly worth it?  Specifically on a smaller ship like Serenade.

You are a perfect example of when the key IS NOT useful. It is not meant for everyone..thats why there is a very limited amount offered.. just do self departure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

I read pretty much the entire thing - because I was also wondering if its worth it for me, being that I would only really need 1 item from the list of perks.  Having said that, I would be worth it for me - because mine is the internet.  If I was in your shoes I would not get the Key for this trip.

1 minute ago, Blondiemomm said:

You are a perfect example of when the key IS NOT useful. It is not meant for everyone..thats why there is a very limited amount offered.. just do self departure.

Not able to self depart as mom struggles with mobility issues at times, but we have a plan in place to hopefully make it to the airport and if not, a printout of the remaining flights from Logan to Atlanta and if necessary I've figured out where to stay if we need an overnight.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Not able to self depart as mom struggles with mobility issues at times, but we have a plan in place to hopefully make it to the airport and if not, a printout of the remaining flights from Logan to Atlanta and if necessary I've figured out where to stay if we need an overnight.

Speak with guest services while you're on board. I'd be shocked if they don't accommodate you with an early disembarkation group. They're usually very good about things like this. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RadioPeri said:

Speak with guest services while you're on board. I'd be shocked if they don't accommodate you with an early disembarkation group. They're usually very good about things like this. 

That's the plan and the first thing we'll do when we get onboard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blondiemomm said:

You don't have to buy for everyone in the cabin online..but it WILL catch up to you...they have the right to revoke your key purchase because you didn't follow the rules when you purchased it..

Sure. That would be the first time RCL willing hands back optional revenue.

That aint gonna happen.

I hope the people who only bought for adults and not kids (over 6) report back.  

I really can’t see Royal Caribbean turning them away at the priority embarkation line.  I mean, they aren’t going to separate adults from kids and they probably wouldn’t turn the adults away because they don’t want any negative reviews about the program.   I bet the same thing would happen at the shows and at Chops.  If the parents have The Key, then they would let kids come in too.  That is just my guess.  

And, for the record, I did purchase The Key for all of my kids.  But, I really am curious how it will work out for those people who didn’t.  

7 minutes ago, happymanitee said:

I really can’t see Royal Caribbean turning them away at the priority embarkation line.  I mean, they aren’t going to separate adults from kids and they probably wouldn’t turn the adults away because they don’t want any negative reviews about the program.   I bet the same thing would happen at the shows and at Chops.  If the parents have The Key, then they would let kids come in too.  That is just my guess.  

And, for the record, I did purchase The Key for all of my kids.  But, I really am curious how it will work out for those people who didn’t.  

I can see them stopping them from entering the priority line as all should have the Key paid for , they probably will tell them to go to guest services to correct once on board as they probably cant fix it there. If they do get by then going to Chops for the lunch would be an issue as they will need to show that they are key or then Chops should charge for the meal. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, olemissreb said:

We just got off the Mariner with the Key and they have a special option for departure.  You can check your luggage the night before and still get off with the self departure folks.  Your luggage will be in a special area in the terminal.  In our case, we put our bags out the night before, went to a Key breakfast at 7am and were off the ship, picked up our luggage in the terminal and in an uber to the airport by 8am. Easily the fastest, smoothest departure I have ever had.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, happymanitee said:

The protocol is apparently to ensure ALL guests over 6 have the key. If not, the children will have to buy the program. If all are sold then the 2 that the parents had will be revoked and refunded. I really hope they enforce this rule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happymanitee said:

I can see the cruise line allowing the children access the key privileges of the priority embarkation line. But since the rules are very clear that everyone in the cabin must purchase the key, as soon as the children use the key privileges with their parents, RCCL would be within their rights to charge the cabin for the other two key users and the parents just  might be surprised with a hefty bill at the end of the cruise.  

Did I want to buy 6 keys or 6 drink packages? No, I would have loved to share the benefits by buying half of the packages. My young adult kids would rather be exploring the ship rather than sitting with the old folks at Chops. We won't use the flow rider but they would. It would work perfectly for us to buy a few and pool the benefits.  But rules are rules and I know I would be pissed if I shelled out over a grand on the key and then found out that RC was allowing people to skirt the rules and just buy for a few in the cabin.

The cruise line would have more to worry about negative reviews from people who followed the rules and then found out that the cruise line was not enforcing the rules. Not only would it reflect badly on the program but it would also alert people to the glitch in system that you didn't have to buy for everyone over 6.  It is to their benefit to enforce the rules and charge the parents for the children.  And since so many of the pessimists here say the company is all about forcing money out of their customers, that would be expected, correct? Even if the Key is sold out, it seems to be the belief that the cruise line would continue to add more keys for more revenue.  I can actually agree that might happen for people who did not purchase for the whole cabin per the rules.

As for a review from the parents that did not buy the key for their tweens, people tend to ignore the negative reviews of people who chose to bend the rules and then complain when they get caught.

Edited by cruise_co
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the Key is no longer showing up as an option in the cruise planner for my Ovation sailing in 84 days.  The 2 device VOOM Surf and Stream is $32,28.  Which convinces me that the Key was a much greater deal than even I initially thought.

jc

18 hours ago, Blondiemomm said:

Just to clarify, I was not advocating that someone should try to scam the system by only purchasing one Key. My reply was to the person that was able to only buy one Key for himself and not his wife. There seems to be a "hole" in Royal's system that allowed this to happen.  For that person, that was ok as they wanted it for just themselves  for  some extra Flowrider time.  He didn't mention anything else about the other perks so I assumed those were not a priority to them. Obviously, if he tried to bring his wife to embarkation lunch at Chops or priority seating at a show, that would be a problem.

I wonder how many others might unintentionally  break the rules without realizing it due to Royals error and should they be punished for it?