New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

4 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

Direct them to Guest Services like they do everything else...I am going not try to see if I can get into one of the shows without a reso too see what they tell me..wont be heartbroken if I don't get in..its more out of curiosity..

Similar to what happened to us on the Allure last summer, we booked all shows in advance we were able to get in on the 1st day but then all other reservations were cancelled for some reason, went to guest services and they put a special sticker on our cards and that allowed us access to all shows except the comedy shows without reservations all we had to do was show up and show the sticker.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I know RCI is really good at dynamic pricing but have a real hard time believing they have dynamic seat bookings - most reports and what I have seen is that they just reserve a whole section. Again, the answer you get today and what you observe next week, can change by next month as they work out the kinks in the system. Also, implementation can vary ship to ship.

More likely they just move a stanchion a row back if they have a lot of reservations.  I think the net final will be that while resos are not required, they will be strongly recommended to guarantee a seat in the key section, and those with resos will go in early, others will come in later and get the remaining key seats until full.

3 minutes ago, Loonbeam said:

More likely they just move a stanchion a row back if they have a lot of reservations.  I think the net final will be that while resos are not required, they will be strongly recommended to guarantee a seat in the key section, and those with resos will go in early, others will come in later and get the remaining key seats until full.

I would think that it is similar to Star Class (and perhaps Pinnacle) in that there are areas blocked for every show and you just show up when you want to go. 

I normally get Voom anyway, so it wasn't that much more to get The Key (on "sale"), but the fact I'm now seeing/hearing you need to make reservations for shows is annoying.  I hate planning out every second of my vacation, so the flexibility of just showing up was a huge selling point.

The Oasis class ships are the ONLY ships that have an Aqua Theater.  The sales material clearly says no reservations for any shows in advance or onboard - including the Aqua Theater.  That can't be a catch-all for other ships for the reason stated above.

Now, if I can just reserve the morning of a show, and not have to do it months in advance when I have zero idea which nights I might want to go, I can probably live with it.

I will use the Flowrider sessions, so there is that.

My sailing on Allure isn't until Sept, so plenty of time to see how it shakes out and cancel if it goes south - or the terms change to not be satisfactory.

Dan.

• Like 2

I ended up purchasing it for our Symphony cruise in November.  The husband needs internet access for school and I enjoyed having it on our last vacation.  I like the idea of priority embarkation and disembarkation and the reserved seats.  Chops on the first day will be nice.  I would like to finally try Flowrider but I'm nervous about it, hopefully it won't be too busy and we can give it a shot.  

On our current sailing on Allure last night at Mamma Mia. About 6 sat in the front row for Star Class. Second row was The Key where one person sat. We were Suite in third row. 10 minutes til the masses headed to the front two rows to fill it up. 

DC4524D2-35F6-49E1-A9A7-31E86158B097.jpeg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

What class ship is Explorer of the Seas?  Will I need to make reservations for the shows with the Key Program. I’m a little confused. Lol. 

Voyager class.  No reservations, the times will show on the Cruise Compass that is handed out daily.  For the ice show, they might assign you a certain time, that's how it was on Explorer this past summer.  Certain sections of the ship were assigned designated times.  For comedy, you just show up.  This is why I was saying that for a long cruise on Explorer, I'm not sure I'd see the value in the Key.  

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

Voyager class.  No reservations, the times will show on the Cruise Compass that is handed out daily.  For the ice show, they might assign you a certain time, that's how it was on Explorer this past summer.  Certain sections of the ship were assigned designated times.  For comedy, you just show up.  This is why I was saying that for a long cruise on Explorer, I'm not sure I'd see the value in the Key.  

Ahhhh. Got it now. Thank you so much. You have been such a big help. I really appreciate it. 

10 hours ago, Blondiemomm said:

You DO need reservations for Aqua, Main theatre and Studio B. But your seating is VIP secure on Allure.

I'm curious if you know this first hand because you've had the key on an oasis class ship since the change was made to the description to say you don't need reservations, or if this is something you're read, inferred, or was told by a rep who possibly had no idea what they were talking about.  Given the description online even changed from when the key first came out it doesn't make any sense and I would not be impressed.  

Edited by Dixie1337
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan-P said:

I normally get Voom anyway, so it wasn't that much more to get The Key (on "sale"), but the fact I'm now seeing/hearing you need to make reservations for shows is annoying.  I hate planning out every second of my vacation, so the flexibility of just showing up was a huge selling point.

The Oasis class ships are the ONLY ships that have an Aqua Theater.  The sales material clearly says no reservations for any shows in advance or onboard - including the Aqua Theater.  That can't be a catch-all for other ships for the reason stated above.

Now, if I can just reserve the morning of a show, and not have to do it months in advance when I have zero idea which nights I might want to go, I can probably live with it.—-

This is EXACTLY my reasoning as well. I sail in April, so hope to have the reservations-situation clear by then. I printed out the t&c... I am not happy if I will have to plan shows and make bookings. There’s enough scheduling on a cruise with everything else, so not having to book shows was the selling point for the 7 of us.

Edited by October17
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dixie1337 said:

I'm curious if you know this first hand because you've had the key on an oasis class ship since the change was made to the description to say you don't need reservations, or if this is something you're read, inferred, or was told by a rep who possibly had no idea what they were talking about.  Given the description online even changed from when the key first came out it doesn't make any sense and I would not be impressed.  

Read the letter I posted above.......

On 1/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, ZandZ said:

Just checked the cruise planner for my August cruise - the key is not available.  Not sure if it was never offered (Majesty) or sold out.  

We are sailing 11/09/2019  on the Independence. It is being offered in our planner even though we are sailing in a suite.

Edited by flacplnj

7 hours ago, Blondiemomm said:

IMG_1119.thumb.png.c00e84c56b53a399d46a47eac5f6e0b5.png

Last weeks sailing..pretty self explanatory. 

If you don't get this letter until boarding, it would be pretty indicative of the fact you don't have to make reservations in the Cruise Planner months ahead of time, and instead can do it once onboard.

My thought on this could change as more information is gained between now and my Allure sailing in September, but that is my assumption for now.

Dan.

1 hour ago, Dan-P said:

If you don't get this letter until boarding, it would be pretty indicative of the fact you don't have to make reservations in the Cruise Planner months ahead of time, and instead can do it once onboard.

My thought on this could change as more information is gained between now and my Allure sailing in September, but that is my assumption for now.

Dan.

I have purchased the key for our Liberty of the Seas sailing on Frb -7, and I can’t find where to make reservations for shows as of now.

2 minutes ago, 3bzmom said:

I have purchased the key for our Liberty of the Seas sailing on Frb -7, and I can’t find where to make reservations for shows as of now.

Not all classes of ships offer reservations for shows. Pretty sure Liberty (Freedom class) is one that doesn't.  You'll just go to the theater.  The show times will be listed in the cruise compass you get in your room each day.