New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

18 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Can’t see there being a big market for The Key after embarkation. A fair amount of the value is on embark day 

For anyone that would be buying Voom wifi, that covers at least half of the price of the Key--many see that as a big value.  Yes, lunch and carryon drop off are on embarkation day, but all through the week those who have the Key can get off first at port stops, especially helpful if it's a tender port or you've booked a 3rd party excursion.  They get reserved times on things like Flowrider, Rockwall, SkyPad. Many see value in that too.  I know a lot of people love the idea of having guaranteed good seats at all the shows.  So, depending on the ship and the amenities and if you'd be buying wifi and lunch at Chops anyway, this can be a pretty decent value if you put some value on your time and not spending it waiting in lines.  You also get a special breakfast on the last day and your choice of time for debarkation.  From reports, your luggage is also in a separate area once you get off the ship.  For Oasis and Quantum class, there are a lot of perks you can take advantage of during the entire cruise.  

• Like 2

I have a real

problem with people viewing it as a punishment if they get charged on board for the additional children or guests in their cabin. You know it’s a rule. It states it clearly in the description. And then to say you hope your kids, that you didn’t pay for, get to use the flowrider. Great. Well maybe I should let my friends cut in line and share my perk also. Oh and join me for a free lunch at cops. No. No . No. You should rightfully be charged the second you board. Or given the option to not have yours. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, norway olin said:

A piece of information that may or may not be interesting.

On Jan 2 I reserved The KEY for our mid July Symphony cruise.

Yesterday The Key for the first time became no longer for sale on the cruise planner, 6 months before the ccruise.

Hi Norway Olin, I will be in Norway a week from Thursday, and your key experience happened to meet a couple of weeks ago.  It was no longer in the cruise planner for me to book, so I reported that.  Then a week later it was back.

jc

I haven’t had a chance to look through past posts but I saw a “KEY” option including streaming internet for $19.99 per person per day.  We sail in September on Rhapsody out of Venice.  Just wondering what everyone thinks about it?  We have Junior Suites on deck 8 and no concierge access 😔

thanks bunches!

Lori

3 minutes ago, whtdog said:

I haven’t had a chance to look through past posts but I saw a “KEY” option including streaming internet for $19.99 per person per day.  We sail in September on Rhapsody out of Venice.  Just wondering what everyone thinks about it?  We have Junior Suites on deck 8 and no concierge access 😔

thanks bunches!

Lori

Massive thread on the topic, almost always on the first page of the forum.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2601591-new-program-called-the-key/

Does anyone have experience with The Key on the Harmony?  We just added it for our 5/19 sailing and wondering if we just show up at chops the first day and then wait if theres a line for lunch or do we make a reservation.  Also do we make reservations or just show up for the shows?  Again wondering if anyone has first hand experience on the Harmony.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I have a real

problem with people viewing it as a punishment if they get charged on board for the additional children or guests in their cabin. You know it’s a rule. It states it clearly in the description. And then to say you hope your kids, that you didn’t pay for, get to use the flowrider. Great. Well maybe I should let my friends cut in line and share my perk also. Oh and join me for a free lunch at cops. No. No . No. You should rightfully be charged the second you board. Or given the option to not have yours. 

Only problem, what if they are sold out of the key on that cruise? Do they suddenly have more available or do they just remove the entire cabin and refund? 1 or 2 cabins where it may only be 4 extra keys may be added, but what if 10 cabins did this? I do agree that Royal should enforce this and would like to see how they do this. I think they should enforce it right at check in, if everyone in the cabin does not have the key then they should not be granted priority boarding and told to go to guest services to correct the issue.

Edited by aespo4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Does anyone have experience with The Key on the Harmony?  We just added it for our 5/19 sailing and wondering if we just show up at chops the first day and then wait if theres a line for lunch or do we make a reservation.  Also do we make reservations or just show up for the shows?  Again wondering if anyone has first hand experience on the Harmony.  Thanks!

I'm about to find out in a few days. Leaving 2/3.

• Like 1

We have purchased the Key for our trip leaving 2/17 (allure).  Our shuttle is picking us up from our hotel near FLL between 11/11:30.  Wondering if we should move this to earlier or do you think it is still enough time to get to port and get on board for lunch at chops?  First time cruisers so we're not sure at all what to expect haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alicialee05 said:

Our shuttle is picking us up from our hotel near FLL between 11/11:30.  Wondering if we should move this to earlier or do you think it is still enough time to get to port and get on board for lunch at chops?  

Go earlier (leave hotel by 10:30) - by the time you get there with current timing it will be pretty busy.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alicialee05 said:

We have purchased the Key for our trip leaving 2/17 (allure).  Our shuttle is picking us up from our hotel near FLL between 11/11:30.  Wondering if we should move this to earlier or do you think it is still enough time to get to port and get on board for lunch at chops?  First time cruisers so we're not sure at all what to expect haha

Agree with the other comment, go earlier--Remember that one of the perks you're paying for with the Key is that you get priority boarding with the very first group to board the ship.  Since you're a first time cruiser it will probably seem a bit overwhelming and getting on first will give you time to get your bearings.  Your first cruise is on an extremely large ship, I think you'll be in awe of just how massive she is.  It can take a while from get to spot to spot on the ship, especially until you figure it which is port, which is starboard, aft and bow, lol.  Have fun exploring!  And if you get on right when they start letting passengers board, that gives you time to drop off any carry ons, and figure out your way to Chops.  Have a blast, I'm on Allure in May.  

I always have loved this picture of Oasis sailing into Fort Lauderdale.  It really shows just how massive Oasis class ships are--compare her to the high rises along the shore.  

image.thumb.png.b7e122d41b10bd5ee9c49b02b2d366bc.png

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Agree with the other comment, go earlier--Remember that one of the perks you're paying for with the Key is that you get priority boarding with the very first group to board the ship.  Since you're a first time cruiser it will probably seem a bit overwhelming and getting on first will give you time to get your bearings.  Your first cruise is on an extremely large ship, I think you'll be in awe of just how massive she is.  It can take a while from get to spot to spot on the ship, especially until you figure it which is port, which is starboard, aft and bow, lol.  Have fun exploring!  And if you get on right when they start letting passengers board, that gives you time to drop off any carry ons, and figure out your way to Chops.  Have a blast, I'm on Allure in May.  

Thank you so much, we are SO excited.  We are going without the kids (5 & 2 year old girls) and very much looking forward to relaxing and recharging!!  I've moved our shuttle to 10/10:30

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alicialee05 said:

Thank you so much, we are SO excited.  We are going without the kids (5 & 2 year old girls) and very much looking forward to relaxing and recharging!!  I've moved our shuttle to 10/10:30

I think you'll be glad you did.  I edited my post to show you a picture of the sheer size.  Have some fun 'adult' time.  😄  

On 1/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, Abr155 said:

Today we did the Northstar reservation that we made, will probably try to do the one they made for us for a different perspective (ours was 11:30 and the one they made should be sunset)!

Came back to the cabin today to a lovely fruit tray with a thank you from the Key program! Nice touch! Seeing Sprectas tonight-made reservations though Bc I was nervous! Will update! Let me know if you have them specific questions you’d like me to explore!

Did you make your reservations for the shows on the ship or online before your cruise? Can you ask if reservations are necessary?

58 minutes ago, aandersen33 said:

We will be using the KEY next week on the Symphony. I will review.  Very excited!

Let us know about how it is on the Symphony.  We are booked for July and I purchased the Key without seeing all these posts.

Glad I did, I know it was a splurge,  there are four of us (2 teens), and WIFI was going to be the surprise add on, so this made sense for the extra $$.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zee890 said:

Just an fyi - the key for the symphony cruise sailing 9/21/19 now appears to be sold out. Surprised that it is this far in advance. We bought ours a few weeks ago.

That seems odd, maybe it will come back again closer in to the 90 days out.  I am wondering if the limit is truly 100 KEYs for all ships, Oasis class as well?

I don't understand the confusion regarding needing reservations for priority seating. It clearly states on my overview for the key before I purchased, "Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED PRE-CRUISE OR ONBOARD"

If they don't honor that, then I won't honor the full price being charged. This is a stated benefit that we are paying for.

Just now, Port72 said:

That seems odd, maybe it will come back again closer in to the 90 days out.  I am wondering if the limit is truly 100 KEYs for all ships, Oasis class as well?

Because of the high guest capacity for the ship, I wouldn't be surprised if it truly is sold out. I check my cruise planner everyday for sales and the key showed up mid December and has been there every day since.

I also monitor sales for my cruise to see if the price has gone down and can be matched (saved $200 that way) and I've noticed in the last few days the room count has gone down significantly.

I'll update if it reappears.

My sailing on May 5/19 Oasis out of Barcelona is now showing a second restaurant...

• Exclusive embarkation lunch at a specialty dining venue. Choose between a Steakhouse (Chops Grille) or Italian (Giovanni’s Table or Jamie’s Italian depending on your ship). You can select your venue of choice once onboard. Seating is first come, first served from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 

It also changed for shows. At first, it was showing No reservations required and now it says they are..

• Reserved VIP seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. You must reserve your tickets in advance in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner up to 72 hours before your sailing or onboard the ship. 

• Like 1