New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

4 minutes ago, 3bzmom said:

The wording for the Key on my Liberty sailing for Feb 17 has not changed. It still says you do not need reservations, and there's nowhere in my cruise planner to make reservations.

That's probably because you can't pre-book shows on Liberty.  Only Oasis class and I think Quantum class require reservations for shows, regardless of if you have The Key or not.  Other ships you just line up before show time.  

Edited by rockmom

9 hours ago, zooma said:

Very helpful info re the seating location, as this will probably be the deciding factor for us. Can you specify the shows -- was the first one The Gift? Would be curious to hear where Key seating is for We Will Rock You and whether it would be considered a prime location. Seems like not necessarily prime for the two shows you've already attended. Thanks and hope you have a terrific time!

We went to We Will Rock You and Spectras Cabaret. The seating for We Will Rock You was on the second floor of the Royal Theatre (deck 6), in the center. It would probably be ok if you get there first and can get a front seat. We arrived about 15 min in advance and the section was already almost full and there were only spots with one seat by itself. We were 3 people and couldn’t split up because we had our 6 year old daughter with us. The one place with 3 seats together had a column right in front and the stage was blocked by it. Possibly the actual worst seat in the house. 

Spectras Cabaret was also on the second floor, in the center. The seats here were better. We could see more but there were parts of the very front of the stage that extended too far forward so the balcony blocked it. Not a ton of stuff took place there so perhaps it didn’t matter so much, but it didn’t seem like the best seat in the house either. 

From the way Key was advertised, I expected front few rows on the bottom floor reserved for us. It also seemed to make no difference whether we had reservations or not as they didn’t check and let anyone in. 

We’re going to see The Gift in a couple days. I can come back then and let you know where the seating is for that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

We went to We Will Rock You and Spectras Cabaret. The seating for We Will Rock You was on the second floor of the Royal Theatre (deck 6), in the center. It would probably be ok if you get there first and can get a front seat. We arrived about 15 min in advance and the section was already almost full and there were only spots with one seat by itself. We were 3 people and couldn’t split up because we had our 6 year old daughter with us. The one place with 3 seats together had a column right in front and the stage was blocked by it. Possibly the actual worst seat in the house. 

Wow -- well this pretty much defeats the purpose of the Key for us, at least with respect to theater seating. What's the point if you, not only have to make reservations (which I understand actually), but also have to get there 30-45 minutes early?!

When you arrived 15 minutes before show started, were there other good available areas where the 3 of you could have sat together, or were you pretty much limited to the Key area at that point?  Also, was the Key are same as suites? Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zooma said:

Wow -- well this pretty much defeats the purpose of the Key for us, at least with respect to theater seating. What's the point if you, not only have to make reservations (which I understand actually), but also have to get there 30-45 minutes early?!

When you arrived 15 minutes before show started, were there other good available areas where the 3 of you could have sat together, or were you pretty much limited to the Key area at that point?  Also, was the Key are same as suites? Thanks!

There were other seats. We moved over to a section to the left of the key area. We did not need the key. Spectras cabaret seemed more crowded and we got there even earlier. There were more seats in the key section still available but I’m positive we could have found other seats too. By the time the show started the key section was jammed. People had their kids on their laps and others were squished into the 2.5 person sized sofas. So far, it’s been completely pointless. We still had to make reservations, still had to show up early to get decent seats (and barely got them). It hasn’t been anything special and definitely not worth the money they charged for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

Anybody else starting to think the ‘Key’ is a tester by RCI for bigger  changes down the line.

It seems a lot of hassle for little reward. If they make $7 dollars a day off it per person thats roughly $5k for the week for all the hassle of organising carry on drop off/delivery, reserved seating etc. A couple of hours of a $10 t shirt sale would make them that!

I may be very wrong (and apologies for going off topic) but I have a nagging feeling this is the start of a bigger programme of us paying separately for activities and experiences on board generally.

They make a lot off of the wifi portion of this as well, so you need to factor that in.  By 'bundling' with wifi and chops, they are getting money that they may not have if someone decided to not have lunch there at all or weren't planning on wifi or only getting it for one device, when there are two or more people in a room.  So the upside is a lot more than $5K for the week if you look at it that way.  It's also a good way to have people who have never done specialty dining to try in and hopefully get hooked and book other specialty meals during the cruise. 

37 minutes ago, rockmom said:

.  It's also a good way to have people who have never done specialty dining to try in and hopefully get hooked and book other specialty meals during the cruise. 

Thats a very good point you make there.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

We went to We Will Rock You and Spectras Cabaret. The seating for We Will Rock You was on the second floor of the Royal Theatre (deck 6), in the center. 

Spectras Cabaret was also on the second floor, in the center.

When we were on Anthem in November, the suite seating areas were on both floors of the theater. Did you try the lower level for seats there? I don't know what they are doing for Key, but I know suites had seats on deck 5 too.

For spectra's there was a suite only area on the lower level too. It was pretty small though, so it might have filled up fast (if they were letting Key people in at all that is).

I think the hardest thing about The Key are the vague promises. Reserved seats, but we don't really know where. Special times for activities, but we don't really know when.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cre8tiv said:

Which is a question I have. What is the cut off for refunding. And what Is the Opening reservation window for shows? Will I have time to refund If I don’t get the show nites I want?  Is it 90 days, some at 75 and still can’t book? TA had no andwer either 

Rccl surely lacking Communication since No update to purchasers ( that I’ve seen) since they changed a fundamental part of the Offer)  I get they can change, but not notify guest, just  feels wrong. 

You can cancel anything in your cruise planner up until 72 hours before your set sail.   So you should know about your reservations before then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

We will be enjoying The Key on our Symphony sailing in March.  Any opinions on whether to dine at Jamie's or Chops for lunch?  We have never sailed Royal before, and were not planning to do any specialty dining.  It will be me and my teens (13 and 15).  

Well, for us we get an included lunch at Jaime's for booking a central park balcony. Makes the decision easier for us at least. Chops it is. 

5 hours ago, Orsino said:

When we were on Anthem in November, the suite seating areas were on both floors of the theater. Did you try the lower level for seats there? I don't know what they are doing for Key, but I know suites had seats on deck 5 too.

For spectra's there was a suite only area on the lower level too. It was pretty small though, so it might have filled up fast (if they were letting Key people in at all that is).

I think the hardest thing about The Key are the vague promises. Reserved seats, but we don't really know where. Special times for activities, but we don't really know when.

We asked where to go for the key and they directed us to the second floor both times. Once we got there we saw it was also the reserved seating for suites. I didn’t look for anything else for suites. Didn’t even think to do that. I just went where they directed us as people with the key. 

13 hours ago, October17 said:

Duh. No advice requested in my post. I am not posting “oh my whatever shall I do now?!” in a bimbo voice. I am merely stating a fact. I was under the impression that this thread is about The Key program and the benefits offered. 

This is such a lovely and welcoming forum. 

Wow what a rude and overly sensitive poster.  Nobody accused you of posting stupidly or in a bimbo voice. How sexist is that comment. You merely stated a fact. I merely stated a fact. If you don’t  want people commenting on the facts you state maybe posting on public forums is ill advised. 

Edited by Tree_skier

23 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

When we boarded, we were directed to a table nearby where a man had an envelope for me, which included a paper with all the key benefits, and all of my groups internet package information. There was also a schedule of the private experiences for key members on the rock wall, flow rider, and I fly. The ifly was not included in the benefits print when I first bought the key so that was an extra. 

I’m guessing North Star and Bumper Cars are not included in the private experiences for Key members?

18 hours ago, 3bzmom said:

The wording for the Key on my Liberty sailing for Feb 17 has not changed. It still says you do not need reservations, and there's nowhere in my cruise planner to make reservations.

That may be because you can't make show reservations on Freedom class ships.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

There were other seats. We moved over to a section to the left of the key area. We did not need the key. Spectras cabaret seemed more crowded and we got there even earlier. There were more seats in the key section still available but I’m positive we could have found other seats too. By the time the show started the key section was jammed. People had their kids on their laps and others were squished into the 2.5 person sized sofas. So far, it’s been completely pointless. We still had to make reservations, still had to show up early to get decent seats (and barely got them). It hasn’t been anything special and definitely not worth the money they charged for it. 

Thank you for this information. We will be on the Anthem in June and just made reservations for both shows. We aren't purchasing the key as we are not interested in flowrider and we only need voom for one device. The only thing that we would be interested in would be reserved seats which alone aren't worth $20 a day x's 2. and apparently is pointless. At least I know what to expect now.

• Like 1

The Key program is a bust for us.  I was about to buy until I saw that all children 6 and over must purchase.  Among our family is a 6 year old and they won't be using half the features (doesn't need wifi, nor eat much at Chops).  

I provided feedback to RCL that they should either raise the minimum age of mandatory people, or at the least discount it for younger children.  They might get more families willing to bite.  As you can expect I got the generic response from the respondent "Thanks for your feedback, yada yada."

ah well - we'll use the funds for something else or future vacation 🙂

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

None, B2Bers would board before Keyholes.

I'm talking about the first leg of the B2B, not 2nd one.  European cruise, so we would have the option just to remain on board during the turnaround cruise.

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thank you for this information. We will be on the Anthem in June and just made reservations for both shows. We aren't purchasing the key as we are not interested in flowrider and we only need voom for one device. The only thing that we would be interested in would be reserved seats which alone aren't worth $20 a day x's 2. and apparently is pointless. At least I know what to expect now.

We are in the same boat -- literally -- a week or so after you, but also with regard to the Key. In fact, we had already purchased it  but now will cancel unless we hear reports of better experiences with reserved seats. We were primarily looking forward to not having to arrive 30-45 minutes early for shows. It sounds like they might not be making the reserved sections large enough to accommodate all those with reservations. Or maybe they're not confirming that everyone in the Key area does actually belong there. Seems that if you make a Key reservation for 2, they should have some way of guaranteeing you 2 decent seats together. (Frankly, they should probably be able to do this for larger reserved groups too, but I understand it might get complicated.) If they iron out some of these issues, we would reconsider and keep the Key. Appreciate hearing others' actual experiences in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailing_Canuck said:

The Key program is a bust for us.  I was about to buy until I saw that all children 6 and over must purchase.  Among our family is a 6 year old and they won't be using half the features (doesn't need wifi, nor eat much at Chops).  

I provided feedback to RCL that they should either raise the minimum age of mandatory people, or at the least discount it for younger children.  They might get more families willing to bite.  As you can expect I got the generic response from the respondent "Thanks for your feedback, yada yada."

ah well - we'll use the funds for something else or future vacation 🙂

‘I’m not surprised. It really depends on the individual family. We have our 6 year old with us and she enjoyed eating at chops, went to one of the shows with us and will come to another tomorrow (if we’re feeling up to it), and is using the internet. Unfortunately, there is a nasty cold going around and both my daughter and I came down with it. We’re currently holed up in our cabin and have missed our CoCo Cay day, which I’m disappointed about. Right now the internet is coming in rather handy.