New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

23 minutes ago, Zee890 said:

The original iteration of the program did require reservations, though. Then they tried it without and now they're trying with again. I agree they should have emailed everyone that purchased an updated version of the terms and I was looking forward to not making reservations, but in the scheme of things it's not really a big deal. 

It's a new program I'm choosing to enroll in by choice so I expect to be somewhat of a guinea pig. And it's not like any of us are locked into the program. It would be one thing if it was non refundable, but that's not the case. 

Also, you are just making things purposefully difficult for the crew if you have enough notice to reserve shows (not sure when your cruise is).

But to deliberately not follow the new stipulations and then demand compensation for a totally optional service just seems like you're trying to start something.

Well said and very diplomatic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zee890 said:

The original iteration of the program did require reservations, though. Then they tried it without and now they're trying with again. I agree they should have emailed everyone that purchased an updated version of the terms and I was looking forward to not making reservations, but in the scheme of things it's not really a big deal. 

It's a new program I'm choosing to enroll in by choice so I expect to be somewhat of a guinea pig. And it's not like any of us are locked into the program. It would be one thing if it was non refundable, but that's not the case. 

Also, you are just making things purposefully difficult for the crew if you have enough notice to reserve shows (not sure when your cruise is).

But to deliberately not follow the new stipulations and then demand compensation for a totally optional service just seems like you're trying to start something.

I guess you are okay with bait and switch then on everything you buy?

Okay sir I really like this brand new car I'm buying from you.....then you go pick it up and find out, yes they are charging me the same price but they are taking off the wheels. 

I don't have an issue with what the current Key Program offers, but if you are going to take something away from what I purchased then reduce the price accordingly. Do you all think that is asking to much?

Not trying to cause trouble here, Royal needs to lower the price if they are taking things away from the original offer.

Very easy way for Royal to correct the issue, everyone that buys "The Key"  is automatically reserved for all that bought it  for every show that needs reservations. Then you still have the choice at what shows you want to attend, if you don't go, they seats slots can go to the passengers that they open up to all passengers 10 minutes before the show starts...............It's a very easy solution.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

The original offer when it first came out said you had to make reservations, then it changed to not making reservations but the price didn’t change.  I’ll be on vacation and not going to let things like this work me up. If I don’t like what it’s offering a week or so before my cruise, I’ll just cancel.  I don’t want to spend my vacation time at customer service fussing at someone who has no idea how or why Royal changes things, especially since I could have cancelled it before boarding. Going into a vacation knowing I’m going to stand in line to argue with some person for something that have no control is not how I want to spend part of my vacation. 

• Like 5

I bought the Key for our Anthem Feb 23rd sailing. It will be myself, my husband, and our 4 year old daughter (who I obviously didn't need to purchase it for). We chose to do the Key because we are in a balcony and were getting internet for the hubs and I anyway, and the Key was only about $20 more for many more "things."

We are not using the Key for access to the shows, so when I update, that won't be included, sorry. Outside of the fact that it was $20 more than regular Voom, we are most interested in the priority embarktion and debarktion, lunch at Chops (I see Jamie's is included now but... we live on Long Island and get our fill of fantastic authentic Italian food, lol), the private hours at certain activities, and the debarktion breakfast. All of these things will just make traveling with the kiddo so much easier - less lines, less waiting... that alone is worth its weight in gold when you have a small child, lol. 

30 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Okay sir I really like this brand new car I'm buying from you.....then you go pick it up and find out, yes they are charging me the same price but they are taking off the wheels. 

I don't have an issue with what the current Key Program offers, but if you are going to take something away from what I purchased then reduce the price accordingly. Do you all think that is asking to much?

Not trying to cause trouble here, Royal needs to lower the price if they are taking things away from the original offer.

Very easy way for Royal to correct the issue, everyone that buys "The Key"  is automatically reserved for all that bought it  for every show that needs reservations. Then you still have the choice at what shows you want to attend, if you don't go, they seats slots can go to the passengers that they open up to all passengers 10 minutes before the show starts...............It's a very easy solution.

But the original terms did state you needed reservations, so with that logic they are doing nothing wrong.

Also, a car salesmen and front of like hospitality worker are vastly different.

I have been in hospitality for 10 years, it isn't guest services that implements these programs and I can assure you, it isn't an easy transition behind the scenes. Corporate will just come up with programs not understanding how the day to day operations will be impacted. No matter where I have worked, that has always been the case.

If you really want to enact change, don't purchase. If enough people do not purchase a package or do not attend a certain show, corporate will pull it. It really is all about numbers.

Maybe I am more flexible because of my hospitality background, but even if you win your "battle" - you're being aggressive and confronting the wrong parties.

I don't know how it works for Royal, but the company I worked for had incident reports that got sent shoreside. It could be anything from a minor inconvenience to large challenges. The compensation given is recorded, too. These are documented and kept on file. If we were aware enough of a constant cruiser that was known for being unreasonable and always trying to get compensation, we would be alerted beforehand. If it continued, it could go as far as them being blacklisted. Of course, this isn't often. Most people have genuine issues. But you're already going into this cruise expecting to be compensated and that's unfair to those who have real problems. Same for hotels, too.

I will say, you catch more flies with honey. I have gone above and beyond for those having a problem that keep their cool. If someone comes up with your general aura, as much of a people person as I am, I am less likely to bend rules or kill myself helping them. You'll just never be satisfied.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Hope we can get this thread back on track. I am looking forward to reviews about how the program is working from those who have experienced it, especially on the Oasis class ships where reservations are required.

Have you eaten at both Jamie's and Chop's? I still have awhile for my cruise, but I can't decide between the two.

2 minutes ago, Zee890 said:

But the original terms did state you needed reservations, so with that logic they are doing nothing wrong.

By original, I meant when I first saw  it on my cruiseplanner. I bought what I saw when I made the purchase......didn't buy what it was 10 months ago or whenever they started the program or what it is now. Only asking for what I bought, not aasking for anything extra.......not a big deal.

I think everyone is blowing this out of propotion, it's not going to be a big deal on the ship with the crew. They let us in, if not we go to Customers relations, if they don't refund or correct the the issue onboard, we take care of it when we get home. It's not going to be a knock down fight, yelling and screaming match.

4 minutes ago, Zee890 said:

Have you eaten at both Jamie's and Chop's? I still have awhile for my cruise, but I can't decide between the two.

I am getting Jamie's lunch included on a sea day as  a perk with my Central Park Balcony storeroom so I will try to eat at Chops with the Key program. I haven't eaten at either but I like steaks and Italian so it's all good☺

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to either cancel beforehand or try it out the first day, and if it still feels like it is not satisfactory, see if they can prorate it.

I am not by any means saying that will definitely work or that they can prorate the program, especially past the first day. But just in case you go on board with the intention to use the program, but it isn't running smoothly.

My suggestion would be to either cancel beforehand or try it out the first day, and if it still feels like it is not satisfactory, see if they can prorate it.

I am not by any means saying that will definitely work or that they can prorate the program, especially past the first day. But just in case you go on board with the intention to use the program, but it isn't running smoothly.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

How does RCI know “special keys” like you from regular keys?

It is a new program, and they are obviously, figuring things out when a program meets the real world.  

Such an easy solution to just book your shows in the cruise planner too.  

JC

Unlike getting the beverage package which you are required to purchase for both of you in the stateroom when you book it thru the Cruise Planner, but when I went into my cruise planner to purchase The Key, I could book it just for myself, and not my wife.  I wonder how it would work our when we boarded the ship -- I get priority boarding and she boards with the herd, I get to eat in Chops and she at the buffet, I get priority tender and she has to draw a tender number, I get special theater seating and she sits with the masses, yada, yada, yada.

58 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Unlike getting the beverage package which you are required to purchase for both of you in the stateroom when you book it thru the Cruise Planner, but when I went into my cruise planner to purchase The Key, I could book it just for myself, and not my wife.  I wonder how it would work our when we boarded the ship -- I get priority boarding and she boards with the herd, I get to eat in Chops and she at the buffet, I get priority tender and she has to draw a tender number, I get special theater seating and she sits with the masses, yada, yada, yada.

It clearly states everyone in the cabin age 6 and above must purchase it. I would imagine that your wife would have to purchase it prior to boarding at the terminal.

Hi- this is our first time on RCL. We bought the key for our upcoming cruise on Allure. I would like the flexibility of being able to decide on whether or not we go to a show, based on how kids are feeling etc. So that was a big selling point of the key, although I still see value with the rest of the package so will be keeping it regardless. Just wondering if I can reserve multiple nights of the same show to allow us to decide while on the cruise? 

42 minutes ago, Twinado said:

Hi- this is our first time on RCL. We bought the key for our upcoming cruise on Allure. I would like the flexibility of being able to decide on whether or not we go to a show, based on how kids are feeling etc. So that was a big selling point of the key, although I still see value with the rest of the package so will be keeping it regardless. Just wondering if I can reserve multiple nights of the same show to allow us to decide while on the cruise? 

I read somewhere that you can only make one reservation per show and that if you want to see a show a second time  you have to wait in line. It was also recommended that if you want to see the Aqua show to book it the first night because it frequently gets cancelled because of bad weather. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this, just something I read. You might want to start a new thread with your question so that the host will be sure to see it and give you a definite answer.

1 hour ago, Twinado said:

I don't have experience with The Key, but on the Harmony, I was only able to make ONE reservation per show on the cruise planner. The option to book a particular show went away once a reservation for any performance of that show was made. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I read somewhere that you can only make one reservation per show and that if you want to see a show a second time  you have to wait in line. It was also recommended that if you want to see the Aqua show to book it the first night because it frequently gets cancelled because of bad weather. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this, just something I read. You might want to start a new thread with your question so that the host will be sure to see it and give you a definite answer.

All correct!👍

7 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I am getting Jamie's lunch included on a sea day as  a perk with my Central Park Balcony storeroom so I will try to eat at Chops with the Key program. I haven't eaten at either but I like steaks and Italian so it's all good☺

We are in the exact same situation and doing the same. We already have Jaime's lunch included, so we'll aim for Chops.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:23 PM, Dixie1337 said:

They should really contact people who already purchased.  I suspect the terms changed for everyone including people who already purchased  given the terms also say they change them whenever they feel like it.  They're going to have some grumpy people on their hands if they don't reserve in advance because they thought they didn't have to.

This is my concern. I print out things when I purchase it. Others surely do the same. I am not working much so I have been on the boards and fb a bunch. I have seen the changes. I can guarantee others have not. They will have to make reservations for those people upon check in, I would guess.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:03 AM, October17 said:

Duh. No advice requested in my post. I am not posting “oh my whatever shall I do now?!” in a bimbo voice. I am merely stating a fact. I was under the impression that this thread is about The Key program and the benefits offered. 

This is such a lovely and welcoming forum. 

This is a tough group. Good information with a lot of sass. Just ignore it.

21 hours ago, Mushroomgav69 said:

I agree. Has anyone actually complained to Royal about the changes? I think we all need to be pro active and complain about the reservation part they changed to the shows. It was a major selling point for the Key program for the majority of us. Wankers.

I would imagine if you called and complained that they will immediately point out their generous return policy. The people who KNOW, all have a choice. It's the unsuspecting ones who bought and are not on these boards who will be livid. My hubby would have no idea. He bought a drinks package. If they changed all the included items, as NCL just did, he would have no idea. But he would not fuss either. That would be me.

Wondering if this could possibly open up a "black market" for extra VOOM packages?  e.g.,  husband and wife don't need two internet packages, so they "sell" their VOOM code to somebody else?  There is no way for them to check which devices are being used with which codes. Or am I missing something? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LiamsMommy2008 said:

Wondering if this could possibly open up a "black market" for extra VOOM packages?  e.g.,  husband and wife don't need two internet packages, so they "sell" their VOOM code to somebody else?  There is no way for them to check which devices are being used with which codes. Or am I missing something? 

Probably not worth the trouble for only a few bucks a cruise.  Personally, I'm not going to give you anything onboard the ship for your code to the internet.  

12 minutes ago, LiamsMommy2008 said:

I have visions of a new take on the old trenchcoat-wearing 'wanna buy a watch' salesguy.  It will be someone in an RC Robe and they open it up to reveal Voom codes.  Wanna buy some wifi?  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

This is my concern. I print out things when I purchase it. Others surely do the same. I am not working much so I have been on the boards and fb a bunch. I have seen the changes. I can guarantee others have not. They will have to make reservations for those people upon check in, I would guess.

This is a tough group. Good information with a lot of sass. Just ignore it.

I would imagine if you called and complained that they will immediately point out their generous return policy. The people who KNOW, all have a choice. It's the unsuspecting ones who bought and are not on these boards who will be livid. My hubby would have no idea. He bought a drinks package. If they changed all the included items, as NCL just did, he would have no idea. But he would not fuss either. That would be me.

Sooooo, if no one said anything, Royal would think that it was ok to change something as NO ONE said anything and everyone must be ok with the changes. That’s a great way of thinking. Our governments do enough of this as it is.

And for all all the people stating about the “you had to book before crap” 

It was originally trialed on a few ships before it was run out fleet wide with new activities and new perks. One new perk being that no reservations was needed. So the trial that went over a couple of months was just a waste of time!! It is a crap thing to do what they did when they change things once they get everyone interested in the Key and change one of the major selling points.

What next. Take a number to get off at a port because it is NOW just to hard or how about they cordon off one section of windjammer for Key people instead of chops or now Jamie’s as they must be selling too many seats now to the general cruiser for chops on embarkation day to try and squeeze in another 100 key people.

The cost of the key program is NOT chump change. It costs a fair bit of money. Same as people who book a proper suite. Suite people pay a good premium for the extra service and also get a fabulous cabin. How would suite  passengers feel if Royal started culling or changing their perks. Of course they would be pissed.