Advice on choosing a multi-generational cruise?

maylee7615

Hello! 

I'm currently planning a family cruise for New Years week - with travelers ranging from 25 yrs - 90 yrs. Before I ask for advice - here's a bit about us! We have previously gone on two cruises, one on the Norwegian Sun traveling to Alaska, and one on the Holland America Westerdam traveling on the west coast/Mexico. We enjoyed Holland America much better than NCL - we felt that NCL lacked quality in both food and entertainment, and upcharged for everything once we were on the ship. Holland America we enjoyed a lot - we felt the food was great, the entertainment was pretty good, but when researching for the next voyage, I've read that Holland America seems 'old' and lacks activities. 

Here are the cruises we're currently considering:

1. Holland America Nieuw Statendam 7 day Western Caribbean Holiday

2. Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Holiday Cruise

3. Celebrity Equinox Western Caribbean Holiday Cruise

4. Celebrity Reflection Western Caribbean Holiday Cruise

Once again, my concern with Holland America is that it seems like the reviews paint this line as a ship for old people with a lack of things to do - but knowing this is a new ship I'm hopeful that it'll be fresh and exciting! I've heard great things about Royal Caribbean in general, but friends have warned that ships this big may have a lot of long lines, limited areas to relax (fight to get lounge chairs, no where to sit at the buffet, etc). I'm also concerned that this ship will have a lot to do for the younger members of the family, but the older members will not enjoy it. Also, I've read that Royal Caribbean upsells more than the others on this list. And then Celebrity- I've read great things about the quality of this line but from my research it seems pretty similar to Holland America, with potentially limited things to do on ship aside from eating and fitness classes.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts! I'm sure any of these would make for a great trip, but any advice or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

I'd probably choose HAL for your needs -- mostly because it's easier to find things to do for those that want it than to avoid it for those that don't.   I say that based on my own family cruise with HAL:  Yes, it was older, but we decided (my siblings and I) that it was nicer to have a quiet atmosphere that we could add to, than to have a busier atmosphere that we'd want to escape from.  We could come up with lots of things to do that didn't require ship-sponsored activity, while at the same time, we weren't lacking for quiet space (that some of your senior family members might appreciate). 

Personally think RC Oasis class mega ships handle crowds better than smaller ships. They are more spread out and roomier. You will find “bottle necks” for elevators and/or crowded specific times - like a show just getting out but otherwise never had a problem.  Plenty of seating - trouble is everyone who complains probably wants a specific pool side seat - not one a short walk away. I agree that main buffet can be crowded but again it’s usually a peak time thing - eating lunch at noon instead of 1:30 ( just an example). Personally prefer MDR for meals anyway. 

Entertainment is is very hard to beat.  Great shows - different from any other cruise line when you consider Aqua theater and ice show. 

• Like 1

I'd go with the HAL cruise, since you already know that you like the HAL product. Each cruise line has a different "feel". And the "feel" appeals to different people. On cruise critic, some insist that HAL is for "old" people. I would phrase that differently and say that HAL is for people who like a quiet place to read,  learn something new or visit exotic locations. Yes, the demographics on my HAL cruises were older than on my Disney cruise and my holiday Royal Caribbean cruises, but other than that, the passengers were about the same age as on my other cruises. Since you are traveling New Year's week, there should be a good number of young adults (and kids). 

I've taken several Royal Caribbean cruises. My last one was on Allure. On paper, my family should like it. There's so much to do! But my teenagers were not interested in ziplining or surfing or rock climbing. The ship was too big (and noisy) for me. It took a long time to get anywhere. Royal Caribbean just didn't have the right "feel" or "fit" for us. 

Tough one! My first thought was to lean toward Carnival. We have been on Carnival during New Year's and there were several mulit-generation family groups. It appeared that they all had a good time.

Nieuw Statendam is new, not even sailing its inaugural voyage yet. My biggest concern with that situation is that the crew, although good, might not have their team-work down yet.

All the ships mentioned are larger that what we usually sail on, that is our preference. If you have not used a local travel agent, then I strongly suggest that you consult one. Those people have the time and the knowledge to help you.

Jim

We have sailed three of Celebrity's S class and find them really to our taste.  there is good entertainment when you want it, and quiet places to relax when you don't.  If you choose not to go with HAL again, I would choose Celebrity.  Decor is elegant but a bit more modern than HAL.  But I've only sailed three HAL ships... If you do choose a larger ship, don't put your most senior people in a forward cabin, because it will be a looong walk to dinner!  EM

Having been on a Celebrity holiday (New Years) cruise, I can recommend Celebrity very highly. Their ships are classy looking (the newer HAL ship might be somewhat comparable). Celebrity seems to add additional entertainment during holiday cruises, which is nice and gives a variety of options. HAL activities are sparser, even on a newer ship, but there are some nice venues for music.

We tried Princess, just as an FYI, for the same period/holiday cruise last year (on Regal Princess) and we were not impressed -- it did not compare favorably with Celebrity in terms of dining experience, decor, or entertainment and the ship always seemed very crowded. I just throw this in as Princess is a line that seems to attract a lot of multi-generational family cruisers.

Starting from their 50th anniversary and then every ten years through their 70th anniversary, my parents took their entire extended family (kids, grandkids and great-grandkids) on a Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean.  As my folks got older they took a more midship balcony cabin to reduce their energy outlet and now my dad has passed. These cruises were such a blast...the toddler great-grandkids are now teenagers and young adults...that my husband and I are continuing the tradition and took them with us on a RC cruise this summer to New England and Canada, which they everyone loved. 

• 2 weeks later...