Carnival Launches New Sea Day "American Brunch" Menu on Carnival Horizon Today

brilliantseas

On 11/9/2018 at 1:19 PM, sarmat1 said:

.  It looks like the bagel/lox combo is gone as well as the french toast with cereal stuck on it.

Say it ain't SO! 😲😭 I usually order that at least once a cruise to shock the hell out of whoever we end up being seated with at breakfast. It's not my favorite breakfast in the world (that's a Blue Iguana breakfast burrito) but it's worth it for the "OMG you're going to eat THAT? Seriously?" looks I get.

I posted on John Healds FB page about it and he replied as well as a few others who was on the horizon last week. One person said someone sent back a steak and the 2nd time around it looked better. I'll be on the horizon 12 - 1 so I'm gonna try and order the chocolate pancakes and old french toast and see if they will do it. I'll be sure to take pics of everything.

Heyo! Yep, I was just going to post that we’re on the second leg of a Horizon B2B right now, and got to experience the first days of the new menu. We ate our way through all the new offerings over the course of the three days, and made a video with photos and our first impressions. Thanks Melissa for the mention!! :D

~Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2018 at 6:35 PM, bury me at sea said:

Because I can picture bread soaked in any liquid for twelve hours.

I have several recipes for French Toast casserole that call for soaking in an egg/milk mixture (sometimes juice added too) for at least 12 hours.  Using a dry bread it soaks the liquid but isn't as soggy as you might think.  Once baked it is more like a bread pudding/loaf as pictured vs. individual slices of bread that have only been soaked many minutes vs. many hours.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, NebraskaSatellite said:

I don't think I'll like this change.  The French toast was my favorite sea day brunch item!  They had really good pancakes as well - I didn't see those.  I didn't see anything on the new menu that would keep me from going to the Lido instead, or foregoing breakfast and hitting Guy's when they open for the day.

I was a big fan of the frosted flake French toast from the old menu, but I think the frittata is my new go-to on the brunch menu. I understand it is comparing sweet vs. savory, but the frittata was one of the best I've ever had, and clearly a higher quality breakfast item than the French toast. My advice is to go in with an open mind and try something new, you never know what you might discover?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 4:32 PM, Fourkids4us said:

French toast. It was a loaf. The peaches were candied on top. 

19C1287A-3264-4B89-8750-5635B7E7092C.jpeg

163384C1-F73A-47F0-A21D-29052D087DBD.jpeg

The french toast offering reminds me of pain perdu, which basically translates to 'lost bread'. It's typically made from hard bread that is soaked (forgotten) overnight and then baked; basically French french toast, if you like, but is usually a dessert.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I have several recipes for French Toast casserole that call for soaking in an egg/milk mixture (sometimes juice added too) for at least 12 hours.  Using a dry bread it soaks the liquid but isn't as soggy as you might think.  Once baked it is more like a bread pudding/loaf as pictured vs. individual slices of bread that have only been soaked many minutes vs. many hours.

Thank you for the explanation.  I am fond of some kinds of bread pudding, but that is very different from French toast.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:09 PM, bury me at sea said:

Thank you for the explanation.  I am fond of some kinds of bread pudding, but that is very different from French toast.

I agree that it is very different from what I am used to as French toast too.

There is a thread in the float away lounge discussing regional differences (thread title is something about how you pronounce Caribbean) and it highlights some of the regional differences either in meanings of the same word or more often different words for the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the Seaday brunch menu is changed to the American Brunch menu on the Carnival Dream before the end of February. It is so much healthier and would love fresh pressed juices. Any news if there will be changing on other ships?

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lovefuninthesun said:

That is how you make bread pudding before you bake it! The saturated bread is delicious after cooking.  Expand your horizons! (pun not intended)

Stratas are made the same way.  We make a couple of different ones for Christmas breakfast - yum!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 6:00 PM, bury me at sea said:

What is twelve hour French toast?  Has it been sitting for twelve hours?  I think I'm lost.

i would guess it's like a bread pudding ..i make a baked french toast, it soaks in the fridge overnight and then baked in AM and served.  

• 6 months later...

Carnival Rolled this out to other ships posted below...

• Carnival Horizon
  • Carnival Vista
  • Carnival Fantasy
  • Carnival Sunrise
  • Carnival Sensation
  • Carnival Victory
  • Carnival Imagination
  • Carnival Inspiration
  • Carnival Ecstasy
  • Carnival Splendor
  • Carnival Liberty