classic 'bait and switch'

1980dory

15 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I have received repeated emails regarding Norwegian Cruise Line's  special for a 7 day cruise from New Orleans for $299.  When I click on the ad, I'm taken to Norwegian's site offering numerous cruises and specials.  But lo and behold, NO $299 specials!

So I called Norwegian to ask when the cruise sails and how to book it.  The rep told me repeatedly that he could not find a cruise at that price.   And I replied that neither could I find it but  that I would like to book it at the advertised price.  The rep finally said that it was probably a "marketing error".   There is no doubt that it was an error but more comonly defined as bait and switch which is actually illegal.

Let's see how long it takes to correct their error or offer me the cruise at the advertised $299.

If you think it is bait and switch, then file a complaint with the FTC.  Please let us know the outcome, if you do file a claim.

All cruise lines and cruise sites advertise in this manner.  Often there will be only one cruise available at the lowest price cabin for that price and it is typically sailing within a week.  I get more frustrated with the advertised price on various advertisements and sites not being to true total cost......but even still, they will typically have their caveat at the bottom somewhere in fine print that note that other fees may apply.

Edited by Stealthdog
completeness

17 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I have received repeated emails regarding Norwegian Cruise Line's  special for a 7 day cruise from New Orleans for $299.  When I click on the ad, I'm taken to Norwegian's site offering numerous cruises and specials.  But lo and behold, NO $299 specials!

So I called Norwegian to ask when the cruise sails and how to book it.  The rep told me repeatedly that he could not find a cruise at that price.   And I replied that neither could I find it but  that I would like to book it at the advertised price.  The rep finally said that it was probably a "marketing error".   There is no doubt that it was an error but more comonly defined as bait and switch which is actually illegal.

Let's see how long it takes to correct their error or offer me the cruise at the advertised $299.

Post a screen shot of the original email.

20 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Sorry. I try to avoid people and companies who lie to me.  If I can't trust them here, then how can I trust them elsewhere with anything they say?

Why don't you sign up for their $299 Special?

Then sail on another line. Every cruise line has similar ads. “As low as €xxx”. And you need to find the one cruise that offers that price. 

If you feel that strongly you shouldn't use them.  You would not be happy with anything that happens on the cruise.  I have no problem with it and will continue to cruise with them.  I know that there was probably one cruise offered at that and I never expect to actually get the low price they offer, because of my past experience.  Is it right.  Probably not.  But many, many companies use this form of advertising so I guess I am always skeptical.  Find a company that you trust and use them.

As long as they offered one cruise at $299 (which is undoubtedly the worst inside cabin on the ship) they are off the hook for any legal claim, even if that sailing subsequently sold out. It was advertising and advertising is designed to make the consumer look. You looked, so marketing won.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, 1980dory said:

those ads and almost all companies will run them from time to time usually are just available for 1 sailing and usually a short 3 or 4 day sailing. If you look closely the ad will say: from $299  or whatever which means we have a couple at that price. I know, it sounds dishonest or to some illegal but it is perfectly legal, and acceptable for most. WE understand the selling strategy behind this. Always remember if something sounds to good to be true it isn't true. 

On 11/12/2018 at 5:06 PM, 1980dory said:

Sorry. I try to avoid people and companies who lie to me.  If I can't trust them here, then how can I trust them elsewhere with anything they say?

Why don't you sign up for their $299 Special?

For heavens sake, no one is lying to you!!!