Norwegian Jade mechanical issue

shof515

Picture of the NCL STAR in dry dock with both azipods visible.

Unlike ships with a solid revolving shaft driven props needing tugs or side mounted thrusters to move the ship

the azipods are moveable doing both the thrusting and forward or reverse motion and for the most not needing

tugs in tight quarters.

star_dry_dock.jpg

• Like 1

With Jade doing 17+ knots at last AIS report, and possibly accelerating at the time, that's about 2 days to Freeport.  This shows she is operating on one pod, possibly with one pod at partial power as well.  A broken propeller blade makes a lot of sense, now that we know she is capable of propulsion.  It would take days to stage the divers and equipment needed to SJ anyway, and I don't remember Jade carrying a spare set of blades (not common on azipod ships), so they would have had to ship the blade as well.  Given the 2-3 days to change a blade with everything on hand, they would have cancelled the cruise anyway, even if doing repairs in SJ, so probably less costly to steam empty to Freeport/Miami (where Miami Divers are headquartered, who are the premier group for doing these underwater repairs), stage everything while the ship is coming, fix the prop, and steam back at full speed, possibly taking last minute paying customers, since a Miami to SJ cruise is exempt from PVSA.

13 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

My guess is the issue happened on the cruise before yours in Malaysia.  There was a post from someone on that cruise that they were late getting to the first port because the captain was told to slow down due to all the fisherman.  

So no sign of divers in the water in Darwin?  Seemed like the logical place to try and repair the issue.  I wonder if they are going to wait until Brisbane or Newcastle?

I sure would be nervous if I was on the next cruise to New Zealand. If the ship isn’t fixed they will lose Milford Sound like we did on the Star last year.  That is the highlight of that itinerary.

Enjoy your one day at the GBR

The Jewel has now just left Darwin. Yeah the mechanical issues have now been resolved and the 3 yes THREE days of GBR are now back on the itinerary!!!

so we got tickets for Airlie Beach’s Whitsundays Islands cruise!

😁😁👌👌

image.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

The Jewel has now just left Darwin. Yeah the mechanical issues have now been resolved and the 3 yes THREE days of GBR are now back on the itinerary!!!

so we got tickets for Airlie Beach’s Whitsundays Islands cruise!

😁😁👌👌

image.jpg

Great news.  Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

With Jade doing 17+ knots at last AIS report, and possibly accelerating at the time, that's about 2 days to Freeport.  This shows she is operating on one pod, possibly with one pod at partial power as well.  A broken propeller blade makes a lot of sense, now that we know she is capable of propulsion.  It would take days to stage the divers and equipment needed to SJ anyway, and I don't remember Jade carrying a spare set of blades (not common on azipod ships), so they would have had to ship the blade as well.  Given the 2-3 days to change a blade with everything on hand, they would have cancelled the cruise anyway, even if doing repairs in SJ, so probably less costly to steam empty to Freeport/Miami (where Miami Divers are headquartered, who are the premier group for doing these underwater repairs), stage everything while the ship is coming, fix the prop, and steam back at full speed, possibly taking last minute paying customers, since a Miami to SJ cruise is exempt from PVSA.

Didn't something similar happen to a Royal Caribbean ship in San Juan a few years ago?  I believe the Jewel or Serenade of the Seas.  They had to replace a propeller or two, and they did it right there in San Juan, while the guests spent their "cruise" all week on board.  I think they finished the job in time for the ship to make an overnight sojourn to St. Thomas and back for the next turn around.

43 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Didn't something similar happen to a Royal Caribbean ship in San Juan a few years ago?  I believe the Jewel or Serenade of the Seas.  They had to replace a propeller or two, and they did it right there in San Juan, while the guests spent their "cruise" all week on board.  I think they finished the job in time for the ship to make an overnight sojourn to St. Thomas and back for the next turn around.

Not sure about the incident you mention, but I seem to remember that RCI did a blade renewal at several consecutive ports, or consecutive turn-around ports, doing one blade each time.  The pod was still not operable until all blades were renewed.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:24 AM, 4774Papa said:

We had a Royal Caribbean cruise from Sydney to NZ cancelled in April due to azipod failure.   The compensation was about the same as NCL announced in the letter.

Fortunately, we managed to find a land tour that actually gave us more to see than the cruise would have provided, and we had a credit toward another cruise as well.

Hi 4774Papa. Hope all is well.

You were lucky that you found that tour to NZ.

I just returned from using my FCC from that cruise - sailed on the Adventure to the Caribbean last week. That was about all I could afford after spending so much to go to Australia. I still had to pay about $200 out of pocket for an oceanview cabin, when what I had on Radiance would have been a corner aft balcony. The 100% FCC sounds great, but depending on the cruise that was canceled, and where you live, it doesn't necessarily mean you get a do-over of the same cruise. I'm out of pocket a few thousand dollars (mainly by choice because I didn't want to fly home right away, another 24 hour travel day), plus used a ton of vacation time. Royal Caribbean didn't come close to replacing my costs for the Radiance issue. 

Went direct to Miami at 18 kn. She’s berthed at Terminal B (that’s the brand new Crown of Miami Terminal A with a RCCL ship berthed in front of her,,, Terminal A sticks out into the channel unlike all the other terminals). Terminal B is supposed to be used by the Bliss tomorrow. 

B07C7E48-7865-462F-8BF1-85D9EA74E1D1.png

Edited by BirdTravels