EDGE REVIEWS POSTED...not very positive!

hcat

I have perhaps one of the oddest reasons why ANY cabin of non-suite type would be a disappointment for me...

I am a movie junkie, I use my laptop hooked up to TV during the cruises a lot... There is NO PLACE to set the laptop in the close proximity to the TV in the Edge standard cabins. Older ships have countertops right beneath the TV console. Here, it just hangs on the wall - the moving vanity table is good 2-3 feet away. Yeah, I could buy a longer HDMI cable, just as much as I could buy curtains, folding chairs, large coffee table etc etc :classic_laugh:

There also was an interesting comment from one of the UK guys - he says that, unexpectedly, the space inside the "thingie box" (outlet box) is too small for UK plugs... All of my plugs are of UK size (sorry if it sounds too personal 😂) - I am curious to see how this would work out.

And yes, I could use the universal tom-tom to set the laptop under TV, but it will block the way.

A few posts above, someone mentioned that the absence of the "standard size" (S/M chips) coffee table is a drag for the Edge cabins... We use the table a lot, actually, and for sure will miss the utility that it carries.

But what do you know, I am on the Edge in three weeks... Ha!

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

On the tom tom, of course! 😉

We have similar feelings - some will love it and others will want traditional balconies.

Wow...we could debate this for eons to come, but since you have tried it, I believe it!  Thank goodness we all do not want the same cabin, on the same ship, at the same time!  Variety is the spice of life.  But within that variety are things that many of us enjoy... However, quite a few of us did want 11268, just on different cruises...and of course with at least one lounger and a rocker too!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are planning to reverse the location of the tom tom and the  Veranda tray table.....maybe it will help?

I like that idea!

My idea is to take the removable veranda tray top to the OVC so that we can get all our food at once and then head to a table. I'm surprised that I didn't see others up there with their trays. 😉

48 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I like that idea!

My idea is to take the removable veranda tray top to the OVC so that we can get all our food at once and then head to a table. I'm surprised that I didn't see others up there with their trays. 😉

...why not making even a bolder move? - I am thinking to sanitize it well and then use it instead of the plate! Imagine how much food I could dump on it!! And then I could take it down to my cabin - no spillage, no mess!!!

😂😂😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Esprit said:

On board the Edge now and this cruise is far better than our Reflection cruise last July. The whole ship is refreshingly different.

I like the IV cabin and accept you can't escape from the daylight if your room mate wants to go on the veranda. It's also impossible to bring down the blind and shut the folding doors without juggling the furniture around.

Last night was baked Alaska and thankfully no stupid parade with waving napkins.

Nice to see many people dressing Chicly too.

btw I'm in my late 50's and don't feel in the slightest that Celebrity want to alienate me with their Edge concept

You know what? People are hysterical, but It's super fun sounding and the garden could be kind of like therapy. But cheaper than wine. Or, you know, and ACTUAL therapist.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Presto2 said:

Part of me agrees with you and for us 'you get what you pay for'. If you book AQ you get the perks, if you book CC you get the perks etc etc. That's not a class separation to me it is just people who have paid more for a cabin getting a perk that comes with that cabin grade.

The only thing I would disagree with is the comment that 'Anybody can buy a suite'. I'd like to think that we have a pretty good income but there is no chance that we could afford a suite unless we sailed once every 5 years. If we could afford it we would love to try a suite and the perks. People are buying the service that they want and many, like us, are buying the service that they can afford.

Do we think it unfair that some folk have access to other parts of the ship that we would love to see? No . They've paid for it. Would we like to be able to afford it too? Oh yes 😉

Nowhere on a cruise contract does it state you have access to the whole ship. You can afford a suite if you wanted it, people spend their money on what the want and what they value. 

On 12/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Presto2 said:

• Thanks 1

One smart feature of new Edge design that I am quite impressed with is the airlock doors heading from OCV to the aft OCV section. Any other ship that I've been at, has a single sliding door that is operated by motion sensor. It may not seem to be like a big deal for some, but you know what I am talking about - when you seat inside the OCV, in the proximity of even good 50-70 feet away from these doors, and yet every single time when somebody goes by them (or pax going in/out, or waiters drag the trays etc etc), the wind tunnel effect is unbearable, especially in colder regions... It blows everything off, from napkins to wigs to salads!

On 12/20/2018 at 9:56 AM, B-Rizzle said:

Right? I feel like the entertainers are doing their job, and it is our job to play along and complete the concept. It wasn't fun for my Ex when he played Santa and my son stopped believing.  (though I think he had it coming!!! hehe)

Wrong.  It is not my job to play along and help complete a concept - I'm on holiday I haven't signed up for a role playing adventure.  If I want to participate I will, if i don't I won't.  If going to a show introduces a risk of participation or character interaction in the show, we might go, we might not - if we go, we know there is a risk we are happy with that.  It's hardly innovative, unless you haven't been to a Cirque Du Soleil show in the last 25 years.  We don't refuse to participate to spite you or ruin your holiday, far from it, but we won't do it just make your holiday at the expense of ours.   Presumably your ex only played Santa to his own son and didn't demand other kids join in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

You know what? People are hysterical, but It's super fun sounding and the garden could be kind of like therapy. But cheaper than wine. Or, you know, and ACTUAL therapist.

I am not hysterical  I  do  not need   therapy and do not require wine to enjoy myself!

We cruise for fun and enjoyment  but  we  decide what is fun and enjoyment  for us!

See you on the EDGE!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I like that idea!

I was thinking of a small tray..

Much easier with a tray.  I remember when the servers used to help carry the trays and brought the coffee to the table.  Very good idea!

So much stuff is spilled  in the buffet and not cleaned up...

16 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks,  Let's be sure to tell all of the other reviewers that they're wrong.

Nahhh, let them think they are correct as it does not matter... minds are made up and heels have been dug in, all without the real facts or just some variant thereof...

bon voyage

10 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

LOL - some of us use alcohol and therapy interactively...

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

" I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read when" (on a cruise), Oscar Wilde. I hope you all are taking sensational notes for us.

If not 'sensational' at minimum 'inspirational' for those looking to experience The Edge in all of its' greatness, such as it is at the moment and possibly increasing.

bon voyage

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruzdude1 said:

You can afford a suite if you wanted it, people spend their money on what the want and what they value. 

Sorry, but I think that this is a ridiculous comment. Most people spend their money on what they NEED not what they want or value. If people can spend money on just the latter two then they are very fortunate. I would say that we balance what we need alongside our preference for a holiday and our IV balcony cabin for our 25th anniversary is stretching things at the moment.

Good luck to anyone who is able to afford a suite, you are very lucky cruisers, but please don't tell those of use who can only dream of one that we could afford one if our priorities were different.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, but I think that this is a ridiculous comment. Most people spend their money on what they NEED not what they want or value. If people can spend money on just the latter two then they are very fortunate. I would say that we balance what we need alongside our preference for a holiday and our IV balcony cabin for our 25th anniversary is stretching things at the moment.

Good luck to anyone who is able to afford a suite, you are very lucky cruisers, but please don't tell those of use who can only dream of one that we could afford one if our priorities were different.

The fact that you can even take a cruise means you have more wealth than most people in the world. No one “needs” to go on a cruise, it is all discretionary spending.  Nobody has to make a choice between dinner tonight or a suite on a cruise ship.  The whole conversation regarding class on a cruise is hilarious. To bemoan the fact that people who spend more get more is a denial of capitalism itself.  People buy what they want and what they value, at whatever economic strata they occupy. Show me your checkbook and I will tell you what’s important to you. 

If you have an IV veranda on the EDGE you paid a premium for it, far more than for similar accommodations on a different ship. 

The dream of a suite.... flip your pillow. 

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

3 minutes ago, cruzdude1 said:

The fact that you can even take a cruise means you have more wealth than most people in the world. No one “needs” to go on a cruise, it is all discretionary spending.  Nobody has to make a choice between dinner tonight or a suite on a cruise ship.  The whole conversation regarding class on a cruise is hilarious. To bemoan the fact that people who spend more get more is a denial of capitalism itself.  People buy what they want and what they value, at whatever economic strata they occupy. Show me your checkbook and I will tell you what’s important to you. 

If you have an IV veranda on the EDGE you paid a premium for it, far more than for similar accommodations on a different ship. 

The dream of a suite.... flip your pillow. 

What are you talking about?

If you read my original message I was agreeing that people who pay more for a cabin should be able to get all of the perks that those who have not paid for that particular grade don't get. I totally agree that anyone who has paid for a suite should have access to parts of the ship that others may not get. If they have paid for it, then I have no problems with that at all and don't see why you think I meant otherwise. I paid CC last year and enjoyed perks --- can't afford CC this time so won't expect the perks.

I have NEVER made a comment about class on a cruise ship and will never do so.

I just didn't like the comment that everyone can afford a suite --- not they can't. Its life. I accept that in the same way that I accept that I can have a new car but not a Rolls Royce.

The comment about my cheque book and what is important to me and the pillow comment (whatever it means) --- what did I do to offend you ???!!!

After 5,969 posts I would like to think I am a pretty friendly member of CC and frankly am quite taken aback by the tone of your posts. Whatever, it is Christmas and we all get stressed so I would like to wish you a Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2019.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The root cause of all unhappiness is desire. Siddhartha. I learned to be happy with what I can afford. If I can not get the sq footage and balcony that will fit 2 lounge chairs,  I will not book the ship. I will continue to shop the cruise world to find my 'Goldilocks' cabin. Besides I often subscribe to the mantra of "sour grapes" when I can not get what I desire. It helps me cope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally, some actual opinionated comments based on the actual Edge experiences of some of her first passengers. Seems a mixed bag, as expected. Also, as expected, the reactions are varied. Some passengers-to-be fret not and remain steadfast in their enthusiastic anticipation. Others seem reinforced by the negative comments that validate their pre-cruise angst. Either way, it makes for interesting banter. I don't know about others out there, but in my opinion IMNiles deserves an Honorary Doctorate for his exceptional dissertation explaining his thoughts. Takes a lot of effort to engage readers with such fluent narrative while at the same time giving equal time to both sides.

I am very enthusiastic about our first encounter with the Edge in January. I won't say when because I do not want to be hounded by autograph seekers and groupies. Suffice it to say, I do not believe that Celebrity is targeting any segment of travelers. It's a new idea coming to fruition. Here it is, we hope you like it. Wherever you fall in the scheme of things, we are all Perennials. I have been where you are and you will be where I am. It is a perpetuation of sorts whether there is a name attached or not. Lot's of good things about all generations and whether you like to admit it or not, lots of similarities to go along with he differences.            

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

What are you talking about?

If you read my original message I was agreeing that people who pay more for a cabin should be able to get all of the perks that those who have not paid for that particular grade don't get. I totally agree that anyone who has paid for a suite should have access to parts of the ship that others may not get. If they have paid for it, then I have no problems with that at all and don't see why you think I meant otherwise. I paid CC last year and enjoyed perks --- can't afford CC this time so won't expect the perks.

I have NEVER made a comment about class on a cruise ship and will never do so.

I just didn't like the comment that everyone can afford a suite --- not they can't. Its life. I accept that in the same way that I accept that I can have a new car but not a Rolls Royce.

The comment about my cheque book and what is important to me and the pillow comment (whatever it means) --- what did I do to offend you ???!!!

After 5,969 posts I would like to think I am a pretty friendly member of CC and frankly am quite taken aback by the tone of your posts. Whatever, it is Christmas and we all get stressed so I would like to wish you a Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2019.

I never said everyone can afford a suite. 

Tone of my posts = no tone , words on a screen. 

We can disagree, maybe even misunderstand each other, butYou labeled my previous post ridiculous. ( no need to interpret tone there)

You being, “taken aback” by something I wrote. I am really not that significant. 

I am mystified by this “tone” you keep speaking of. 

I am not stressed, 

10 minutes ago, cruzdude1 said:

I never said everyone can afford a suite. 

Tone of my posts = no tone , words on a screen. 

We can disagree, maybe even misunderstand each other, butYou labeled my previous post ridiculous. ( no need to interpret tone there)

You being, “taken aback” by something I wrote. I am really not that significant. 

I am mystified by this “tone” you keep speaking of. 

I am not stressed, 

As I said, I would like to wish you a Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2019.

Now let's not bore everyone else and let's move on to the Edge gossip :-)

Edited by Presto2

Time for this thread to wane . When I started it,  I expected  it would  be a  short a term  thread. .My bad for selecting the title which lives on.

There are now more reviews , live and otherwise..Varied opinions ,  photos etc.

Perhaps newer  reviews should have the date in the caption.

• Like 1