El Loco Fresh

On 3/24/2019 at 5:16 PM, newxmascruiser said:

This thread is making me laugh just to chuck in a UK angle to mix it up:

chilli includes beans - kidney beans specifically

chilli is served with rice or jacket potato

noodles are spaghetti and are never, ever served with chilli

Actual noodles are served with Chinese or Thai cuisine 

every days a school day 

😝Ha ha, every Texican knows chili never contains beans (except at my house) ie Terlingua Chili Cook Off! And if and only if they are, it should be Pintos not Kidneys, those are a Yankee bean.🐮  And never ever over rice, potatoes nor noodles.  Our chili stands on its own.

Edited by BecciBoo

On 3/25/2019 at 11:43 PM, voyager70 said:

I had never heard of it either until an episode of Property Brothers where a young couple from New York were talking about making macaroni and gravy every Sunday for dinner.  Said that's what they call pasta and sauce.  The girl who cuts my hair is a native New Yorker and she confirmed that's what her family called it as well. Maybe it's an Italian thing as they are all Italian (so am I but we never called it that either in New England!)

It's a "Jersey" Italian American thing, if that makes sense. The over the top look at me I'm Italian types are the only ones that call it gravy. The same people call calimari "galamad", mozzarella "muzza", etc. They put on the ridiculous phoney Italian pronunciation on every ingredient. 

Generally gravy would be a sauce beyond typical marinara, or "mahinah" in NY fake Italian speak. Gravy would have pork and what not in it.  You wouldn't call a basic marinara "gravy".  Sunday gravy is a thing, so I'm not surprised you saw that 

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, Paulette3028 said:

I don't eat at Taco Bell, and the OP wanted a comparison with it....so I can't do that....but we were on Symphony in February and El Loco Fresh was nothing to rave about.  I preferred the Wipe Out Cafe we had on Harmony several years ago to this.  Just so you know,  I like Mexican food, but this buffet style offering should have been put in the WJ and not highlighted as a stand alone food option.

I can,.,,,real chili is made with chunks of meat, not ground meat, unless you are feeling really lazy and it's all you have.  Chili meat or chunks of chuck roast!  Here's a great recipe:

Uncle Dead Eyes Chili (my uncle by the way)

1 to 2 lbs cubed or coursely chopped Chuck Roast or chili meat grind. DO NOT USE ground beef.

1 small container of camino (cumin to Yanks) the whole container, about 3 ozs.

2 cloves fresh garlic minced

1 whole onion course chopped

5 heaping Tbs chili powder Preferably Old El Paso brand

1 cup to 2 cups cooked Pintos if you must

Salt and pepper to taste and any peppers you prefer seeds removed and sliced

Flour for dredging

Beef broth

Sautee garlic/onion not too long just a couple minutes and set aside

Season meat pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge chili meat in flour and brown in a little oil in stew pot

Cover meat with beef broth and simmer for an hour on low and slow adding chili powder and camino

Salt and pepper to taste and then add onion/garlic, peppers and beans, be careful! Let slowly simmer for another 30 minutes and 

serve with corn bread (not sweet)

Edited by BecciBoo

On 3/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, Glitterati said:

Another fellow Brit. I believe Americans call any pasta “noodles”. I often hear Americans call penne/tagliatelle noodles.

🇬🇧

Nope, most  Americans call Italian "Pasta"....  "noodles" is reserved for Chinese or Japanese food.  Do you think we're ignant or something?  Disclaimer:  this statement is meant to be facetious!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

Nope, most  Americans call Italian "Pasta"....  "noodles" is reserved for Chinese or Japanese food.  Do you think we're ignant or something?  Disclaimer:  this statement is meant to be facetious!

Spaghetti will often be called noodles but that's about it when it comes to Italian and even that isn't that common. As you said, noodles is usually considered Asian noodles.

42 minutes ago, BNBR said:

It's a "Jersey" Italian American thing, if that makes sense. The over the top look at me I'm Italian types are the only ones that call it gravy. The same people call calimari "galamad", mozzarella "muzza", etc. They put on the ridiculous phoney Italian pronunciation on every ingredient. 

Generally gravy would be a sauce beyond typical marinara, or "mahinah" in NY fake Italian speak. Gravy would have pork and what not in it.  You wouldn't call a basic marinara "gravy".  Sunday gravy is a thing, so I'm not surprised you saw that 

Haha that does make total sense.  I've heard plenty of the (mis)pronunciations you mentioned as well as a few others in regard to Italian foods.   Thanks for the clarification.

55 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Spaghetti will often be called noodles but that's about it when it comes to Italian and even that isn't that common. As you said, noodles is usually considered Asian noodles.

We just say "spaghetti" or "Rigatoni" or Macaroni....etc.etc.  But only with Italian food.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Ok so some Americans I have heard- either vloggers or my own family, call pasta “noodles”. I also know lots of Americans that call pasta by their proper names! 

It wasn’t meant to be a sweeping statement so sorry if it came across as one! 

14 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I don’t remember seeing noodles, pasta, gravy, or chili at El Loco fresh last week,  but there were some beans!  Lol

Dan

It ain't salsa, it's gravy. - Italian Mexican 

First Symphony cruise coming up this year, looking forward to trying El Loco out. Realistic expectations. Breakfast burritos like Blue Iguana would be awesome though. 

Edited by BNBR
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Ok so some Americans I have heard- either vloggers or my own family, call pasta “noodles”. I also know lots of Americans that call pasta by their proper names! 

It wasn’t meant to be a sweeping statement so sorry if it came across as one! 

It didn't!!!!  Just trying to be amusing!  That's why I misspelled ignorant....different strokes for different folks  where you from>?

Very hard to get Dry Wit on here........

Edited by BecciBoo

We really enjoyed El Loco Fresh and the convenient location next to the pool on Navigator made it a go-to place for a quick meal or snack. The kids loved getting chips and adding all the toppings from the topping bar. 

7 minutes ago, BrandFam4 said:

We really enjoyed El Loco Fresh and the convenient location next to the pool on Navigator made it a go-to place for a quick meal or snack. The kids loved getting chips and adding all the toppings from the topping bar. 

I loved the toppings available at the Blue Iguana on Carnival to add to other dishes so I expect I'd love the topping bar here too.  

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Wow - that’s pretty offensive (to an Italian Jersey girl). My grandfather from Naples always dropped the final vowel from most words but I don’t think it had anything to do with where he finally settled. Nothing ridiculous or phony about it. 

7 minutes ago, gerif said:

Wow - that’s pretty offensive (to an Italian Jersey girl). My grandfather from Naples always dropped the final vowel from most words but I don’t think it had anything to do with where he finally settled. Nothing ridiculous or phony about it. 

Sorry you are offended. This northern Italian is not offended. It's a pretty good elevator explanation for people who dont understand it. 

This is also coming from someone who not only has a quintessential "gravy" cookbook, but it's personally signed by Steve Martorano himself. He's a character.  And my description is pretty accurate for those who don't understand it. 

48 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I loved the toppings available at the Blue Iguana on Carnival to add to other dishes so I expect I'd love the topping bar here too.  

Lots of variety for the toppings.  Here's some quick photos that I snapped from last week on the Navigator.

Dan

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Lots of variety for the toppings.  Here's some quick photos that I snapped from last week on the Navigator.

Dan

IMG_3222.JPG

Thanks so much!  Guac available more than just the afternoon snack at windjammer is awesome as are some of the others - I get very creative when on board as we're vegan but we can make great concoctions just getting creative! 

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I don’t remember seeing noodles, pasta, gravy, or chili at El Loco fresh last week,  but there were some beans!  Lol

Dan

I have to correct myself.  Funny, I was looking through the photos I just posted and sure enough, Chili Beef is in one of them!  Still, no gravy.  Cheese sauce?  Yup.  :)

Dan

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

Thanks so much!  Guac available more than just the afternoon snack at windjammer is awesome as are some of the others - I get very creative when on board as we're vegan but we can make great concoctions just getting creative! 

You'll be like a kid in a candy store.  Some of that stuff would be great on top of some fries from Johnny Rockets which is now ala carte right next door!  Now, why didn't I think of that when I was on the cruise last week?  Was probably all the Long Islands. 😉

Dan

Just now, The Fun Researcher said:

You'll be like a kid in a candy store.  Some of that stuff would be great on top of some fries from Johnny Rockets which is now ala carte right next door!  Now, why didn't I think of that when I was on the cruise last week?  Was probably all the Long Islands. 😉

Dan

Oh good idea, and great they're right next door.  On Carnival I loved the Guy's topping bar - some of the best hot peppers were there!  I had one woman on Indy ask where she could find the subs I had created in the WJ - I gave her some tips on what to do but maybe I should have charged her for mine and made more 🙂  Kidding, but we needed to make sure we had sustenance to go along with our attentive solarium bar waitstaff 🙂

• Haha 1