Voyager, "Iconic Havana," 6 -16 December 2018

Portolan

I don't plan on posting about this cruise to the frequency or quality of Mr. Rumor's  blog for the previous cruise, but here are a few notes about the title cruise (just those things which might be different for those familiar with Voyager).

the Good:

- The area on the top deck forward of the windscreen (Captain Dag's bench for those who remember his unauthorized creation) has been open all the time.  For many years, or at least when we've been on Voyager, this area was closed and locked.  Maybe the Captain's option each cruise.  A nice place to get to since it you are stuck behind the windscreen, you are forced to stand in the miniature golf course.

- Havana was great.  We did the walking tour of old Havana in the morning and we had a very personable and frank guide who was respectful of the government (as they literally are required to be to get licensed), but didn't pull any punches about life in Cuba.  They really want to see tourism take hold.  We took a break in the afternoon to follow updates on the Army-Navy game (Go Army - {We} Beat Navy {Again}!).  Then we took the evening stroll through old Havana which we feared would be much the same as the morning, but we like walking tours.  Turned out to be quite a bit different and much better than described.  First stop was the original "Sloppy Joe's" as opposed to the "Original Sloppy Joe's" in Key West...there is some controversy since the one in Havana is older, but closed in 1959 for the next 50 years while the one in Key West was founded later but has operated continuously.  Anyway, we were treated to a sloppy joe, a Cuba Libre and a second drink of our choice (Cuban beer for us).  Then a walk through the old town squares which are beautifully illuminated at night.  Finally, a stop at Hemingway's favorite bar for a Mojito.  The description for this free excursion made no mention of the included food and drink.  It also says "15 minutes of walking"...more like 2 hours (which a stroll would imply) over cobblestone streets, so some care is needed.  Another very good and frank guide.

the Not-so-good:

- While Voyager was in a major drydock recently, it doesn't seem to have benefited as much as Mariner did in its recent drydock (we were on Mariner in May, so in a good position to compare).  Our PHB is looking quite worn.  I didn't dig out the posts about the Voyager drydock, but seem to recall that it didn't include the PHs and named suites?  It should have.  At least the PHA and PHB , while only slightly larger than the standard suites, retained all of their drawers so there is plenty of storage space unlike the remade standard suites.

- Eight ships were arriving in Cozumel today, seven docking, and one (Voyager) to tender while station-keeping since it's too deep to anchor.  Gusty winds prevented tendering so all activities ashore were cancelled and we are sailing on to Honduras.  Leaving Cozumel we passed an open breathing space on the set of 3 piers with berths in both sides, but just 5 ships.  Two other ships were breathed elsewhere.  Note that all ships due in at Cozumel were accounted for, and still an open berth...

In general, to this point a very good, but not great cruise.

Edited by Portolan

Thank you for posting about your visit to Havana.  We fid it to be a fascinating place to visit.

Agree with your observation about Voyager.  She is due for another refurbishment in early 2020 (after the refurbishments of the Navigator and Explorer).  Hopefully they will have time to upgrade all of the suites (especially the bathrooms).  

I have never been to Cuba and likely never will (not because I don't want to or can't go!  Just does "fit" our travel now) and so hearing about what you did and how the guides were etc was really interesting.  If you have any photos it would be great to see those too.

Too bad about the docking situation in Cozumel - must have been another reason not to use those berths?

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Too bad about the docking situation in Cozumel - must have been another reason not to use those berths?

I have to correct my earlier post regarding the empty berth.  I've heard from others that another ship appeared over the horizon behind us...number 9 at Cozumel and bound for the open berth.

The reality seems to be that Regent's smaller ships get the leftovers WRT docking versus tendering.

In Roatan, Honduras today.  Tendering with an NFL ship arriving after us and rocked in front of us.  Raining intensely periodically, so not a day for a walk through a bio-preserve like we had scheduled.  Should be better tomorrow in Guatemala.

Edited by Portolan

9 minutes ago, Portolan said:

I have to correct my earlier post regarding the empty berth.  I've heard from others that another ship appeared over the horizon behind us...number 9 at Cozumel and bound for the open berth.

The game-away seems to be that Regent's smaller ships get the leftovers WRT docking versus tendering.

In Roatan, Honduras today.  Tendering with an NFL ship arriving after us and rocked in front of us.  Raining intensely periodically, so not a day for a walk through a bio-preserve like we had scheduled.  Should be better tomorrow in Guatemala.

That seems very logical to me.  Those big ships (ugh!) have to unload thousands of people.  It takes long enough as it is with double width gangways to get them off.  If they tendered very likely the last people would be on shore when the first tour buses came back to the port after the sightseeing!

On 12/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, Portolan said:

the Not-so-good:

- While Voyager was in a major drydock recently, it doesn't seem to have benefited as much as Mariner did in its recent drydock (we were on Mariner in May, so in a good position to compare).  Our PHB is looking quite worn.  I didn't dig out the posts about the Voyager drydock, but seem to recall that it didn't include the PHs and named suites?  It should have.  At least the PHA and PHB , while only slightly larger than the standard suites, retained all of their drawers so there is plenty of storage space unlike the remade standard suites.

Portolan - sorry to hear that the PH+ cabins are looking a bit worn - does that tiredness extend to the public areas as well?  The recent photos I've seen looked nice but it's hard to tell condition from snapshots sometimes.

8 minutes ago, doc47 said:

I am on this cruise too. Agree that the Voyager is looking a bit “tired”.

Doc47 - may I ask what category cabin you're in?  We're booked in just under a month and we're in an H Gty right now so was looking for some information in case the upgrade fairy makes a visit...

Thanks!!

9 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Portolan - sorry to hear that the PH+ cabins are looking a bit worn - does that tiredness extend to the public areas as well?  The recent photos I've seen looked nice but it's hard to tell condition from snapshots sometimes.

Doc47 - may I ask what category cabin you're in?  We're booked in just under a month and we're in an H Gty right now so was looking for some information in case the upgrade fairy makes a visit...

Thanks!!

We were upgraded from an F to a B. We are very comfortable, but things are a bit worn. 

1 minute ago, doc47 said:

We were upgraded from an F to a B. We are very comfortable, but things are a bit worn. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  I guess if things are a bit worn in the cabin, that's all the more reason to spend time outside of the suite and hang out in the rest of the ship.   👍

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Public spaces look pretty good.  It'll be a mixed blessing of you get upgraded: PHB is a nice layout with lots of storage space but showing its age.  D-H (I believe) are renovated so should be fresh, but they removed lots of drawers and shelves.  Net gain for the PH.

Edited by Portolan

27 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Public spaces look pretty good.  It'll be a mixed blessing of you get upgraded: PHB is a nice layout with lots of storage space but showing its age.  D-H (I believe) are renovated so should be fresh, but they removed lots of drawers and shelves.  Net gain for the PH.

Yeah, we've sailed Navigator a few times post-refurb and although the cabins still 'work' the lack of drawer space is noticeable.  I especially miss the upper cabinets for glassware and whatnot.  It's not as big an issue on Explorer, I don't think, at least in the F class cabins, but I really don't understand the motivation behind that decision.

27 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Yeah, we've sailed Navigator a few times post-refurb and although the cabins still 'work' the lack of drawer space is noticeable.  I especially miss the upper cabinets for glassware and whatnot.  It's not as big an issue on Explorer, I don't think, at least in the F class cabins, but I really don't understand the motivation behind that decision.

Form over function.  As an engineer, I prefer function over form.

Some interior designer decided that space was more important that drawers etc?   Sometimes I wish that people in that profession (and architects) had to spend a week in a room that they are going to remodel or design.  things might be a bit more "evident" then!

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Some interior designer decided that space was more important that drawers etc?   Sometimes I wish that people in that profession (and architects) had to spend a week in a room that they are going to remodel or design.  things might be a bit more "evident" then!

I agree completely.  I really miss those drawers.  Those where where I put all George’s folded stuff.  Do not like having to share the space in the closet drawers.

But this is only one example where some designer put appearance over functionality.  Others include those terribly low heavy club chairs in some of the lounges which are almost impossible to move (but I guess wouldn’t turn over in rough seas) or the rectangular sink on Silversea Spirit that showers you with water.  Or a non-cruise example, when I as a much younger mother of 2 small boys let a designer put a white couch and carpet in my living room.  That didn’t last long.

54 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I hope if Regent keeps reading how many of their passengers really miss the drawers some will return during future dry docks.  We really miss them! 

I hope so too.  I haven't experienced this yet, but I'm worried about this for our WC two years from now, before Mariner's next dry dock.  I understand some WC'ers ask for an extra small set of drawers!

What they need are marine architects, really, especially for the cabins.  I offer you the perfect of example of marine architecture we have experienced--the Paul Gauguin standard cabins, with or without balcony.  The window cabins, I call, the "tiny perfect cabin", after a mayor of our fair city.  Every inch has been thought out and can be used in some way.  No walk-in closet or anything like that, and small bathrooms, but the use of space is superlative, with lots and lots of drawers!  The old Voyager G used to be in the running.

Regent is not the only culprit.  A couple of years ago we had a PH on Azamara--what they call the Club Continent suite.  Probably about the same size as a Navigator standard suite.  No walk-in closet so it felt bigger.  Nice big shower (former bath tub), but the room layout was awful.  Large open shelving instead of drawers, three huge drawers at floor level.  Not even a loveseat, but two unmatched chairs of dubious comfort.  Very bad use of space.

6 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I hope if Regent keeps reading how many of their passengers really miss the drawers some will return during future dry docks.  We really miss them! 

In the meantime, I urge everyone to make sure that they emphasize this point in their comment cards.  It is a shame that this thoughtless design flaw mars what is an otherwise excellent accommodation.

On my last Voyager cruise, since reading CC posts tipped me off about this, I brought packing cubes, which was a help.

Bob

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

In the meantime, I urge everyone to make sure that they emphasize this point in their comment cards.  It is a shame that this thoughtless design flaw mars what is an otherwise excellent accommodation.

On my last Voyager cruise, since reading CC posts tipped me off about this, I brought packing cubes, which was a help.

Bob

Do you mean the simple soft, zippered items to organize your packing?  I've heard of some people on the longer cruises bringing the foldable cloth bins. Going to be looking at hanging systems as well.

5 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Do you mean the simple soft, zippered items to organize your packing?  I've heard of some people on the longer cruises bringing the foldable cloth bins. Going to be looking at hanging systems as well.

Wendy, yes, these cubes allow you to leave items in them, and just store them wherever space is available.  I put mine in the lower  glass compartment where drawers used to be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013KBX5W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob

3 hours ago, boblerm said:

Wendy, yes, these cubes allow you to leave items in them, and just store them wherever space is available.  I put mine in the lower  glass compartment where drawers used to be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013KBX5W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob

Did you remove the glasses and such out of it to make room for your cubes?  

Not criticizing about going off topic but wonder if Regent will even see these comments about their suites since it is buried in a Cuba thread.

We have several "cubes" and do not care for them.  They are flimsy and difficult to zip and unzip unless they are completely full.