Traveling with one Parent on Transatlantic cruise

Without knowing what countries are involved, hard to give a firm answer. But most likely just a passport.

Disney will have a policy and procedure for a child traveling with only one parent, as to the other parent giving permission. Ask them, and follow it to the letter.

Immigration and cruise lines will want to see a letter (US likes it to be notarized) from the absent parent, giving permission for the trip. If there is no second parent or their whereabouts is unknown, you will need legal paperwork saying so, for example, documents giving full legal custody or a death certificate. Some countries like to see birth certificates of minors in addition to the passports. I wouldn't depend on the cruise line for advice about immigration, but certainly find out what Disney's requirements are. 

This has been discussed many times in CC.  At a minimum and you may need more if the cruise line requires it -

1)  Notarized authority from the parent(s) authorized the child to travel w you;

2)  Notarized authority from the parent(s) authorizing you to get medical treatment for the child if necessary

3) A copy of the child's medical insurance paperwork.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Why the medical insurance paperwork?  If you have to have medical attention, you will be billed by the cruise line or the foreign provider, neither of which will accept your insurance but will be happy to accept you credit card.  When you get home, if you are lucky enough to have a family policy that covers expenses out of the US, you submit to them for reimbursement.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

24 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Why the medical insurance paperwork?  If you have to have medical attention, you will be billed by the cruise line or the foreign provider, neither of which will accept your insurance but will be happy to accept you credit card.  When you get home, if you are lucky enough to have a family policy that covers expenses out of the US, you submit to them for reimbursement.  EM

If the problem occurs off ship, the medical facility may require proof of insurance or else the facility may require payment in advance.  Also, it is just one medical card so what is the problem with having it?

DON

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If the problem occurs off ship, the medical facility may require proof of insurance or else the facility may require payment in advance.  Also, it is just one medical card so what is the problem with having it?

DON

The reality is that if you need medical treatment (emergency or otherwise) in a foreign country, most medical providers will require payment from the patient.  Most foreign hospitals and physicians do not accept "assignment" from an insurance company.  This recently happened to us when DW needed urgent treatment (including outpatient surgery) in a major Japanese hospital.  Before we could leave the hospital (and return to the ship) I had to pay a pretty large bill for a CT Scan and surgery.  I was able to later get reimbursed by our travel insurance company, but that did take a few weeks.  In Mexico, where we live part of the year, most hospitals require a credit card upon admission.   This is actually a norm in many countries.  

Hank

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps they are going to the US  Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico where many providers accept the insurance since they are part of the U.S. Perhaps something will happen before boarding or when getting off the ship when they are in the U.S., sure could use the info then. 

Just a couple of many reasons the insurance info would be nice to have.  

8 hours ago, snowskier said:

Perhaps they are going to the US  Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico where many providers accept the insurance since they are part of the U.S. Perhaps something will happen before boarding or when getting off the ship when they are in the U.S., sure could use the info then. 

Just a couple of many reasons the insurance info would be nice to have.  

Perhaps, perhaps...But the OP specifically mentioned a Transatlantic eastbound with no stops before the Azores...EM

Disney says: "When a minor (age 17 and under) travels without a parent or legal guardian, an accompanying adult must present an Authorization For Minor To Travel Without a Parent or Legal Guardian Form, completed and signed by that child's parent or legal guardian." https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/ships-cruises/required-documents/

The form:

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/dcl/forms/MinorAuthorization_2017_en.pdf

Are you both traveling with US passports with the same last name? Foreign governments will probably not be interested in guardianship unless it appears that you are fleeing to your native Ruritania with the kid.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:54 AM, donaldsc said:

This has been discussed many times in CC.  At a minimum and you may need more if the cruise line requires it -

1)  Notarized authority from the parent(s) authorized the child to travel w you;

2)  Notarized authority from the parent(s) authorizing you to get medical treatment for the child if necessary

3) A copy of the child's medical insurance paperwork.

DON

I'm not following this at all.  Why would a parent need any of these things to travel with their own child?  Maybe #1 if in a divorce situation, but #2 & #3 make no sense at all.  And, these are listed as minimum requirements?  What cruise line would require this?   

12 minutes ago, whogo said:

Agree. There have been any number of cases of a parent leaving the country with a child (or children) in order to prevent the other parent from having custody. Cruise lines (and airlines) do not wish to unintentionally assist a child abduction. Thus they have policies for a single parent traveling with a minor child. There are a number of situations (other parent not in the picture, or deceased, or sole custody) where it is perfectly normal and legal for a child to travel out of the country with one parent. But the bad alternatives have forced change, and such policy and procedures.

28 minutes ago, whogo said:

Well since OP posted:

On 12/23/2018 at 4:37 AM, Skygazer said:

Aside from the passport, what documentation is needed? We’re considering a Disney TA in 2020 and DS will be 13.

saying "We're" considering a TA, I'm figuring this isn't a non-custodial parent situation.  Of course I could be wrong.

Generally, as long as a child has a passport, no other documentation is necessary, since both parents (custodial and non-custodial) must sign the application for a passport, meaning that both parents are aware that the child may be traveling outside the US.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:23 PM, Essiesmom said:

Not always true.

I have had my medical insurance accepted in foreign countries.  I was surprised, but it was.  And no, I did not receive a bill later.

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Well since OP posted:

saying "We're" considering a TA, I'm figuring this isn't a non-custodial parent situation.  Of course I could be wrong.

Generally, as long as a child has a passport, no other documentation is necessary, since both parents (custodial and non-custodial) must sign the application for a passport, meaning that both parents are aware that the child may be traveling outside the US.

But how does the cruise line or foreign country know this?  Even if the passport was issued recently, situations could have changed, and permission revoked.

That is why the notarized letter.

Bottom line is, maybe you will be OK with just the passport.  But if that is not enough, you could be standing, watching the ship sail away.

Why would you even take a chance of that?  If the other parent agrees, download the form letter, go to your bank (most banks notarize for free), and get it notarized.  Easy, simple, cheap insurance.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:20 AM, whogo said:

This actually supports the point.  The item(s) listed as required are possibly required under certain exceptional situations, but not to a parent traveling with a child.   

My guess is a lot of things posted originally as conjecture become known as hard rules once they are posted enough.