Boarding later to avoid lines

16 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Cruising on Adventure OTS on 2/2 out of Port Everglades. We have a 5:30 pm departure. I am not a big fan of standing in lines or the hurry up and wait routine. I would love to walk into the cruise terminal, no line at security, no line at check in, walk on and go straight to my cabin to drop a bag. What time should I arrive at the port?

Depending on where you read it on RCI's website you must be onboard either 90 minutes or 60 minutes.

No lines after 2:00PM

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Nice way to miss the ship!  😉

Port Authority rules state must be checked in no later than 90 minutes before ship sail time.  

Port Authority has nothing to do with this, CBP wants a list 30 minutes before.

Depending on where you look RCI says either 60 or 90 minutes.  But, like anything else related to RCI, I would use 90 minutes.

A little Adv' OTS heads up

we sailed for Turkey day week (6 day from Port Ever') and I'm usually a member of the 1pm or later crowd. We had someone dropping us off at the port/ship and were a ahead of schedule and came off 95 11ish.  And soon traffic to the port came to a halt .. about even with the airport. I dunno what was going on that might have been 'special' but we were in a slow moving traffic jam for 45 minutes getting to the security gate of the port!

It was an effective filter tho, cuz once we finally got thru the gate we went to the terminal and were on board and able to go directly to our cabin within 15 minutes .... only queue was at the metal detectors and that wasn't much.

I suspect had we arrived at noon or later the port traffic jam would have been gone and we would have been onboard within minutes of our 'earlier' arrival.

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

You have to be on board by 4:00 pm. for a 5:30 departure.  Don’t push it too late - they won’t wait!  Suggest 2-00 to 3:00 pm. Boarding is usually pretty fast. 

10 hours ago, spookwife said:

uhh they have too be ON BOARD by 4 pm for a 530 departure

Its changed, or at least it has on Symphony.

97DC8E40-F17F-4641-9F4C-80DE674825EA.jpeg

ONLY place I've had to wait arriving before lunch for any long period of time was Galveston and it was about 40 minutes.  San Juan was a little hectic too but heck you are already in SJ so no worries about the time to get on the ship

Edited by CanadaRob

I haven't see Noon.

But if you want to walk on and go to the cabin get to the port 12:30-12:45.

I went at noon.  Couldn't have been on faster.  Maybe 15 min including picture.

No lines.

Cabins were ready by 1.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:16 PM, Host Clarea said:

I wonder if check-in time is still 90 minutes prior to departure.

18 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Bob,

Maybe it's 90 minutes. The picture I posted for FLL says 60 minutes. 

90 minutes before sailaway at embarkation.

60 minutes before sailaway at port calls.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, fischymom said:

I'm in the other group, I want to start my vaca and get on board as early as I can to enjoy people watching and things being loaded on to the ship.

Got that right. Last 3 cruises I was at Port 10:25-30, onboard 10:50-55. Like to eat when WindJammer open's not 1230-3 when its BUSY! But then I find nice area to relax, people watch and Text/read. My bags usually arrive by 2pm and I'm unpacked before Lifeboat Drill

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

30 minutes to pick up friends. 30 minutes to travel to POM . (with no traffic delays ) Time of arrival 12:45-1:00.  Usually  little to no lines, check in,  unload carryon luggage in cabin, and onward to lunch. Have done this schedule  multiple times  Sometimes living in the port city has its benefits. 

8 hours ago, Powersboyee2 said:

What about Anthem out of Bayonne??  How early does boarding start in that terminal?  Newbie to that port, sorry haha.  Ive been on ships as early as 10-10:15 but that was port everglades.  

Reported to be around 11am.

16 hours ago, Missymo said:

30 minutes to pick up friends. 30 minutes to travel to POM . (with no traffic delays ) Time of arrival 12:45-1:00.  Usually  little to no lines, check in,  unload carryon luggage in cabin, and onward to lunch. Have done this schedule  multiple times  Sometimes living in the port city has its benefits. 

We live 30 minutes from PC and it is a benefit living so close. We drove the 3 hours to sail out of Miami a couple of times but we really are spoiled with PC being so close.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:29 PM, steveru621 said:

Bob,

Maybe it's 90 minutes. The picture I posted for FLL says 60 minutes. 

Muster drill has to be organized before sail away also.  Another reason pax need to be on board in time.  

On board Rhapsody right now.  Arrived at the terminal just after 10 am, dropped our bags with the porter, parked in the parking area, walked up with carry on bags, checked in, and were walking onto the ship by 10:34.  No lines at all, and never stopped walking except for check in counter.,  Easy Peasy.

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trinam2 said:

We live 30 minutes from PC and it is a benefit living so close. We drove the 3 hours to sail out of Miami a couple of times but we really are spoiled with PC being so close.

Ditto to that!!  Though our 2 hour drive to Tampa is totally doable also.  On board Rhapsody right now. 

Edited by island lady

The way I look at it, my vacation starts the moment I have both feet on board, inside the check-in counter. 

I want my vacation to start ASAP, so arriving early and having to possibly wait in line to be one of the first on board doesn't bother me a bit.