Live on Reflection: 14 Nt Exotic Southern Caribbean (Jan 4)

mahdnc

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

It was nice to be seated outdoors although it is well sheltered. It's just too bad that the sun sets so early at this time of year which robs you of any views. 

Unfortunately that's when is sets basically year round. You get another 40 or so minutes in the summer. But unless the country observes DST 530-630 is it. Waiting for the corrections...

3 hours ago, SeaGams said:

We’re much closer to the city in Park Ridge, not far from O’Hare.  I have family near you in Mundelein. 

Let’s take this conversation over to the January 31, 2020 Roll Call, so we do not clutter Mahana’s thread.  Later.

19 hours ago, mahdnc said:

ABD5E8B6-3484-4574-AA50-2DC6FB6498CF.jpeg

This is what we missed most about having to cancel this trip. We have been on Calabaza many times in the past, and won't be back until March 2020. We tentatively booked the Jan 31, 2020 Silhouette, but Calabaza is already fully booked then.

It has been rainy, and cloudy and getting colder here in Chicago. Above normal temps, but still not like where you are. Enjoy every day.

Still anxiously awaiting the birth of our granddaughter, so we perk up every time the phone dings.

Thanks for your posts, we are enjoying following along with you!

Edited by rakes5

16 hours ago, chamima said:

Interesting - which ship ?  I recently spent 20 days on the Crown Princess and the $6 table was paying 6:5.  I will be on the Ruby next month for a quick 4 day and will check it out we have a lot of "free Play" money to use.

Just off a Princess cruise - they are still doing the 3:2

As I said - if the tables remain empty I expect they'll change on this cruise. The house still has the advantage at 3:2 .

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Dinner at The Lawn Club Grill tonight was excellent. This was the first time we have eaten there. All four of us enjoyed our meals. The flatbread was great. The steaks are terrific and are much better than what we've had in the past at the Tuscan Grille. The lobster mac and cheese was very tasty. I also enjoyed the grilled kebabs. 

You can order as much as you want of the menu. They also allow you to order more food if you're still hungry. 

The salad bar is very ordinary. Dessert  selection is also unimpressive and it becomes inadequate if you don't like their prized dessert, the warm chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice cream (we liked it). 

It was nice to be seated outdoors although it is well sheltered. It's just too bad that the sun sets so early at this time of year which robs you of any views. 

We absolutely loved Lawn Club Grille when we were on the Transatlantic a few months ago.  In fact we loved it so much we ate there twice including one night when the weather was windy and cold.  Fortunately they have heavy plastic coverings that let you still see outside but stay warm.  

I agree about the warm chocolate chip cookie.  I also loved the apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream and my husband said the carrot cake was the best he's ever had.

3 hours ago, rakes5 said:

This is what we missed most about having to cancel this trip. We have been on Calabaza many times in the past, and won't be back until March 2020. We tentatively booked the Jan 31, 2020 Silhouette, but Calabaza is already fully booked then.

It has been rainy, and cloudy and getting colder here in Chicago. Above normal temps, but still not like where you are. Enjoy every day.

Still anxiously awaiting the birth of our granddaughter, so we perk up every time the phone dings.

Thanks for your posts, we are enjoying following along with you!

Have you tried Silver Moon in Barbados?  We’ve sailed with them several times, sounds very similar to Calabaza 🙂

Great travel along!

were you underway when you had dinner at Lawn Club? Was it cold, breezy?

we also did Lawn Club on a TA, we were anchored, so it was quite windy, but not too cold. There were other issues, particular to that night, I would like to give it another shot.

18 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Great travel along!

were you underway when you had dinner at Lawn Club? Was it cold, breezy?

we also did Lawn Club on a TA, we were anchored, so it was quite windy, but not too cold. There were other issues, particular to that night, I would like to give it another shot.

Yes, we were underway and had already left Barbados when we ate at The Lawn Grill. I wore a short sleeve shirt and did not feel cold. There was minimal breeze in the restaurant during our meal. 

Freedom of the Seas occupied the Pointe Seraphine Pier which is next to the village of tourist shops. While Reflection docked at the largely industrial La Place Carenega Pier. 

C6109F03-CAC9-4C00-A0B5-5495584D7866.jpeg

In the above photo Freedom is on the left while Reflection is on the right

86D90BE2-A4F5-4D29-B0A9-127FC01A92CB.jpeg

A view of the pier area from our port side balcony.

Edited by mahdnc

Before going to bed (the scuba diving absolutely exhausted me), I stepped out onto the balcony. 

The lights from St Vincent and the Grenadines shimmer over the distant horizon.  

The night time sky is clear with a beautiful view of Orion overhead. Two stars, Sirius and Canopus, are shining brightly.  The two stars are much higher in the sky than what I am accustomed to seeing in Chicago. 

C2C615F1-631B-49DC-805C-A10958500C69.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Freedom of the Seas occupied the Pointe Seraphine Pier which is next to the village of tourist shops. While Reflection docked at the largely industrial La Place Carenega Pier. 

C6109F03-CAC9-4C00-A0B5-5495584D7866.jpeg

In the above photo Freedom is on the left while Reflection is on the right

86D90BE2-A4F5-4D29-B0A9-127FC01A92CB.jpeg

A view of the pier area from our port side balcony.

This must vary by cruise. We docked at Pointe Seraphine Pier on our 12/7/18 Reflection cruise.

5 hours ago, NemoCrownie said:

Who did you dive with (dive op) in St Lucia? Loving the review and look forward to cruising with you in 2020.

We used Iyanola Adventures, run by a charming Curtis John for this trip and the last two times we have cruised to St Lucia.  

I highly recommend him. It is a small operation that provides very personalized service. He provides boat pickup and drop off near the cruiseship

407D0ADE-75B0-4121-9F0E-03B5735E641B.jpeg