Passport to enter the ABC Islands?

Hi everyone!

I have been reading and trying to find a straight answer as to whether you can get off the boat in the ABC islands with just a birth certificate. My husband and I both have passports, but we do not have them yet for our children. I know they do not need one to cruise, but will they be allowed to disemark at each port without? We plan to get them passports, but just incase they do not come in, in time.... I like to worry and have a plan just in case. :-)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BrandFam4 said:

Hi everyone!

I have been reading and trying to find a straight answer as to whether you can get off the boat in the ABC islands with just a birth certificate. My husband and I both have passports, but we do not have them yet for our children. I know they do not need one to cruise, but will they be allowed to disemark at each port without? We plan to get them passports, but just incase they do not come in, in time.... I like to worry and have a plan just in case. 🙂

Thanks!

You only need a photo ID and your seapass card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrandFam4 said:

Hi everyone!

I have been reading and trying to find a straight answer as to whether you can get off the boat in the ABC islands with just a birth certificate. My husband and I both have passports, but we do not have them yet for our children. I know they do not need one to cruise, but will they be allowed to disemark at each port without? We plan to get them passports, but just incase they do not come in, in time.... I like to worry and have a plan just in case. :-)

Thanks!

We've been at these islands and only take our state driver's license only.  Passports stay in the cabin safe whether in the Carib. or Mediterranean.  The only time we were advised to carry passport in the Mediterranean was in Croatia before it became part of the EU.

• Like 2

I've never seen anyone checking any ID getting out of a port in the Caribbean (except Cuba).  And very few places check for a picture ID getting back into the port.  Aruba did want both ship card and a photo ID last cruise.  Bonaire and Curacao just wanted to see ship card.  But previous trips nobody asked for anything except ship card.  You will be told onboard to take a picture ID with you in every port.  The Compass even had this for Labadee, although nobody checks.

If I had to guess, most ports only check IDs to keep the locals out of the port.

• Like 2

Never mind! I just read that kids 5 and over can get state ID cards, so I’ll go get one of those too. I’ll have so much identification, I won’t know what to do with it all. 

Thank you all!

Edited by BrandFam4

Royal almost always puts in the planner, that you need to take a photo ID with you when getting off the ship. But, that is usually in case something happens when your in port. Only rarely have we been asked to show the ID by port security when entering the dock area. Usually your seapass card is all that is needed. When you board the ship, your photo is linked to your seapass card when they scan it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BrandFam4 said:

Hmmmm so the kids do not have a photo ID. I wonder if the sea pass card and/or bc would be enough. 

Take birth certificates with sea pass just in case.  On their first cruise, we got all of our grand kids passports.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Do you have another copy of their birth certificates in case the passports don't come in time?

If the kids are under 16 they don't need a photo ID.

Yes I do. I was prepared for once on that one. 🤣

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, BrandFam4 said:

Hmmmm so the kids do not have a photo ID. I wonder if the sea pass card and/or bc would be enough. 

Kids do not need photo ID.  They also need to be with the parent.  The photo ID, is only for port security to verify that your name, matches the seapass card.  They don't have access to your inbedded picture.  When you get to the ship, the ship does not need any ID other than the seapass card which they swipe.

We have been cruising for nearly 4 weeks in the Caribbean.  Not once have we been asked to show ID entering/leaving the port.

BTW your picture is no longer on the mag stripe (not sure it ever was).  They always use the bar code now.  The new ships do not even have mag-stripes on your seapass cards.  It's all RFID.