Balcony forward or aft

Cutiecruisin

I booked an inside room on the Legend for Alaska. I got the upsell e-mail today for a balcony. The rest of my family is deck 6 forward I would be deck 7 aft. Is deck 6 or 7 any different for views? Should you be closer to the water or higher up for views? Also I know aft can sometimes see the wake, that doesn't super appeal to me, any other differences?

Thanks. 

I would take an AFT balcony any day. What a view on an Alaskan cruise! On the inside passage there are things to see out both sides. Plus it’s cooler on that cruise so being out the back would have less wind than a side balcony. The difference of one deck (6 to 7) will be minimal on the view. If it were me...AFT Balcony for sure. The whole family will be on your balcony!

I'm with AFT too. Just to mention, if you are located on the side of the AFT Section of the boat, you will not have the Aft Wake View. Which we happen to love BTW. AFT Wrap Balcony (9C) the BEST IMHO! 🤗🛳

I also like the location due to the Lido, Aft Pools (which you won't be using LOL). Also harder to get lost, get to your Deck and walk straight back.  Your group & you can split up 🙂 it is a ship after all, just agree to meet. 

🌸🌸 Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

So I suspect the OP is being offered a regular (side) balcony in the aft section of the chip, not a true aft extended balcony.  (We love aft extended balconies, btw.)

So whether forward or aft, if it is a regular side-balcony then it probably doesn't matter.

Whether deck 6 or 7 will be relatively inconsequential, unless something is blocking your view from either deck.

But the point is moot, IMHO: a balcony is always better than an inside, so if you can afford it (and the price isn't insulting), go for it!

And indeed, the best views might be from up on deck anyway.  But the balconies are nice to use when you aren't out-and-about in the public space, like when you are resting/changing before dinner, etc.

We have always had a forward balcony.

No real choice on our first cruise, but we liked that it was away from all the "noise" of the aft locations (night clubs, etc.).

Haven't tried an aft, but we may have to sometime. Also we usually book 7 or above so we don't end up under something noisy.

However any balcony>inside room, so I'd say go for it!

Especially on an Alaskan cruise! 
Never been on one, but that's on our list to do!

Hi

Had a balcony for Alaska, and it was nice. However, I found it the same as most cruises...the cabin is for sleeping, or changing clothes. If you want to enjoy the scenery, you are much better off going to an open deck. Staying in your cabin to enjoy the view, would just be so limiting.

have a great cruise

8 hours ago, serene56 said:

for alaska  i would do that aft.

best balcony on the ship is 6232    7258 or 8232

Disagree.  Aft  Wrap 6260 is one of the best cabins at sea, much less on The Legend.  One of the greatest experiences of my life. That being said any cabin on a ship in Alaska, especially a balcony cabin, is a great experience.

My balcony of choice is always aft.  I find regular side balconies quite windy when at sea and Alaska will be a bit chillier.  The aft balconies are much less windy and nice to stretch out on a lounge chair to relax outside.  

Alaska is beautiful!  If you have never been, you will fall in love.  

Only been to the Carribbean, but I've had a balcony midship, and an extended aft balcony and I personally preferred the non-aft balcony because in the hot climate I WANT a nice steady breeze. So for an Alaskan cruise aft would probably be nice.

Unpopular opinion, but I hated having the aft.  The extra room was nice, but no breeze and the funnel would leave debris that needed cleaning off. Trying a forward balcony this go-round, we'll see if I notice a difference. The wrap around balconies look awesome, I'll probably try one of those in the future.

9 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Disagree.  Aft  Wrap 6260 is one of the best cabins at sea, much less on The Legend.  One of the greatest experiences of my life. That being said any cabin on a ship in Alaska, especially a balcony cabin, is a great experience.

Aft wrap o n this class ship is a suite.   The three I listed are balcony category

If paying the suite price-- yes those aft corners are very well worth the money   (not the suite on deck 5)