Cheap hotel near FLL

Cruisin sun and fun

Looking for a cheap hotel near Ft. Lauderdale airport for March 22nd.  Flight doesn’t arrive until after 10:00 pm, probably be close to midnight before we get our luggage and grab a cab.  Just looking for something clean to get 6 hours of sleep before we head to Miami to catch our cruise.

Plugged that date into Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@26.0848228,-80.1422069,14z/data=!4m5!2m4!5m2!5m1!1s2019-03-22!6e3?hl=en

You are looking for a Friday night smack in the middle of the peak of school holidays.

"Cheap" will be $175-200 for the State Rd 84 area north/northwest of FLL. But will be neither clean nor safe.

Anything decent at the I-95 interchanges south of FLL (the direction you want go as you are headed to PortMiami in the morning) runs $250-300. But will get you an infestation-free room in a neighborhood that won't scare you away at that hour, a working lock on the door and probably a fairly OK breakfast. The fact that you are in for such a short time is no reason to sacrifice decency for savings; I've been in those same shoes and never will again.

BUT: Looking closer at that map the best rates for budget-but-not-unfit-for-human-habitation are the La Quinta for $135 and the Sleep Inn for $169; both are just east of I-95 on Sheridan St--three exits south of FLL so in the right direction. Both spartan but passable unlike the notorious Red Carpet/Rodeway/Days Inn properties north of the airport that are usually the cheapest but should be avoided like the plague.

I understand the season I’m working, that’s the reason I put the date, also that price is relative to each person.  

We are also staying an extra night post cruise and have been looking for hotels in South beach and plan on spending around $300 for that night.  As posted by “fishywood”, looking for something clean and safe.  If that is going to cost me $150, so be it, but if I can find something cheaper, even better.

Yikes, I just conducted a search and there’s nothing that I would remotely consider until getting in the $200 price range. Everything else will either be a roach motel in a seedy part of town, or farther out which will cancel any potential savings due to transportation costs.

You may also want to look at apartment/studio rentals if you’re tight on cash. On that same search several below $150 popped up, although I can’t tell what location or quality will be like. 

43 minutes ago, Av8torcrj said:

Prices are crazy weekend of Feb 16. Even roadway is over $200. We are at Hilton Garden I think at $230 and it’s now sold out.

That is Presidents Day weekend and the beginning of winter vacation for many public schools in the northeast. Plus the Fort Lauderdale marathon is that Sunday.  It is the most expensive weekend in February.

10 minutes ago, capriccio said:

That is Presidents Day weekend and the beginning of winter vacation for many public schools in the northeast. Plus the Fort Lauderdale marathon is that Sunday.  It is the most expensive weekend in February.

I knew there had to be a wrench in the plan after securing the cheapest price per night 7 day sailing out of MIA. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

14 hours ago, OVgirl said:

Sleep Inn is a good economic option. We book there quite often.

Decent breakfast, offer shuttle for $, Walgreens and Walmart on either side of the hotel.

Do you have an address for the Sleep Inn?  Do they have a shuttle from the airport?  Do they have a shuttle to the port?

Is there a cost for the shuttles?  Will be looking for a room on a Sunday night before we go to the port.  

1 hour ago, CarolRoy said:

Do you have an address for the Sleep Inn?  Do they have a shuttle from the airport?  Do they have a shuttle to the port?

Is there a cost for the shuttles?  Will be looking for a room on a Sunday night before we go to the port.  

I book through LastMinuteTravelClub  .com   (no spaces)  I didn't pay to become a member. I was able to find a code to use for free membership. Sorry, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe others here might know.  

Address is 1500 SE 5th Avenue, Dania Beach,    1-954-874-1800

They do have free shuttle from the airport. And a paid shuttle to the port. I have read that they might also have a paid shuttle to Miami port.

Edited by OVgirl

10 minutes ago, barbarah said:

Hi.    Wondering if anybody knows a hotel about two hours north of Ft. Lauderdale very near I95?    We’re driving and thinking maybe a hotel in another city might be cheaper.

thanks.

Either the Ft Pierce or Port St Lucie exits will have several of the lower priced chains. But during the season they fill up quite early in the day so a reservation is still essential. Will put you 1:45 to 1:30 north of Port Everglades. 

To be just shy of an hour from the port you can stay right near PBI airport where the mid-priced options will be about $50 less than the Port Everglades area hotels on SE 17 St in Ft Lauderdale. Meaning during peak season you will pay about $200 for a Courtyard/Doubletree/Springhill rather than the $250+  in FLL.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:09 AM, fishywood said:

Plugged that date into Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@26.0848228,-80.1422069,14z/data=!4m5!2m4!5m2!5m1!1s2019-03-22!6e3?hl=en

You are looking for a Friday night smack in the middle of the peak of school holidays.

"Cheap" will be $175-200 for the State Rd 84 area north/northwest of FLL. But will be neither clean nor safe.

Anything decent at the I-95 interchanges south of FLL (the direction you want go as you are headed to PortMiami in the morning) runs $250-300. But will get you an infestation-free room in a neighborhood that won't scare you away at that hour, a working lock on the door and probably a fairly OK breakfast. The fact that you are in for such a short time is no reason to sacrifice decency for savings; I've been in those same shoes and never will again.

BUT: Looking closer at that map the best rates for budget-but-not-unfit-for-human-habitation are the La Quinta for $135 and the Sleep Inn for $169; both are just east of I-95 on Sheridan St--three exits south of FLL so in the right direction. Both spartan but passable unlike the notorious Red Carpet/Rodeway/Days Inn properties north of the airport that are usually the cheapest but should be avoided like the plague.

I'm laughing so hard at this because it is exactly on point!