Adding passenger after final payment

Melody7

I, as a solo traveler, am booked and paid in full for an ocean view room on the April 21st sailing of the NCL Bliss out of LA. Since talking about my cruise, my mom has been showing interest in going. Has anyone had experience adding a passenger after paying in full? I've paid ~$1500 for the room. If two of us in the room is more than $1500, would they just charge the difference? I'm not looking for a better deal and expecting money back in any way, just wondering if anyone has done this!

I have tried to do this in the past, but it was very close to sailing and they wouldn't let me. They said they were at lifeboat capacity. The funny thing is, I then won an upgrade bid and they made me pay for two people to upgrade, and still wouldn't let me add a second person to the suite. Make sure you don't wait too long! If there is capacity, you should only have to pay the taxes and port fees to add the second person.

• Like 1

Do a mock booking and see what you room would cost with 2 people. I assume you paid a single supplement so there may not be any cost increase. Then I would call and ask. If there is not price increase and they let you I would book her. Depending on how full the ship is if you wait you may not be allowed to add another person to your room. Yes your room holds 2 but there may not be space in the lifeboats to accommodate a 2nd person. If there is a price increase get your mother on board with this trip asap or your may not be able to.

I did this when I sailed the Epic TA in Nov 2018.

I had a Haven H4 booked for my myself , my wife, and her sister.

My wife's friend expressed interest in going with us 3 days before our cruise left from Barcelona.  I called NCL, and had her added to the reservation.  As long as there's capacity on the board and in the cabin, you should be good to go!

• 7 months later...

this thread is a few months old but i was curious if anymore current experiences with this. discounting the capacity question, i may book 2 on a cruise with 3rd possibly being added. i assume they would always be happy to get more money as its holiday cruise with 3rd at full price. 

10 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

this thread is a few months old but i was curious if anymore current experiences with this. discounting the capacity question, i may book 2 on a cruise with 3rd possibly being added. i assume they would always be happy to get more money as its holiday cruise with 3rd at full price. 

What do you mean "discounting the capacity question"?  THAT is what this is all about!

The best way to do this is to book 3 at the start (and thus protect that lifeboat space), and at such a time *before* there is any penalty, remove the 3rd person.

BTW, a third passenger in the room does not pay "full price", and during specials might be "free" (except for taxes and port fees).

GC

25 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

we are in final payment already. will they reduce the price if the 3rd doesnt go on the cruise

If the third passenger fails to show no refund of the fare will be forthcoming. You will receive a refund for port charges.

Edited by Paul Bogle

45 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

we are in final payment already. will they reduce the price if the 3rd doesnt go on the cruise

Very confusing.

You asked about ADDING a person after final payment is due:

"Since talking about my cruise, my mom has been showing interest in going. Has anyone had experience adding a passenger after paying in full? "

What is your actual question?

GC

53 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

can i book 2 people today and add a 3rd next month. 

You can if there is still room, however, if you remove them after final payment you won’t get their payment back. When you get close to a holiday cruise, sometimes the 3rd and 4th fare is more than #1 and #2.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Very confusing.

You asked about ADDING a person after final payment is due:

"Since talking about my cruise, my mom has been showing interest in going. Has anyone had experience adding a passenger after paying in full? "

What is your actual question?

GC

Maybe the confusion is quoting one poster while asking a second poster to clarify.... 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, KateQ22003 said:

I have tried to do this in the past, but it was very close to sailing and they wouldn't let me. They said they were at lifeboat capacity. The funny thing is, I then won an upgrade bid and they made me pay for two people to upgrade, and still wouldn't let me add a second person to the suite. Make sure you don't wait too long! If there is capacity, you should only have to pay the taxes and port fees to add the second person.

The upgrade would have been that way regardless of your desire to add somrone.  That is how solo upgrades work. The cost to add as second person depends on how much was paid for the solo.  In some instances the solo pays less that double the per person double occupancy rate.

9 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

The upgrade would have been that way regardless of your desire to add somrone.  That is how solo upgrades work. The cost to add as second person depends on how much was paid for the solo.  In some instances the solo pays less that double the per person double occupancy rate.

I know how upgrades work. I was just commenting on the fact that not only could I not add a person to my room, but I also had to pay for a second person twice. I have also never not paid two times for my cabin. I have always paid double the rate and I cruise single a lot.