12 Days on Grandeur...Will we be bored?

I am booked on a 12 Day Grandeur cruise in April.  It has 7 Sea Days.  I am very worried we will be incredibly bored.  It is my wife and me, our two sons (4 and 1), and my parents.  Has anyone done that many sea days on Grandeur?  Will we lose our minds?  I booked this due to the ports, but didnt consider the small ship and the large number of Sea days....

6&8

Sitting around, swimming in the pool, sitting in the hot tub, being waited on by friendly staff bringing you just anything you ask for, maybe reading a good book in the sun, go a show every night, listen to live music all over the ship all day long, participate (or not) in activities organized daily.....cruising used to be about leisurely moving from place to place letting the vacationer truly unwind from the stress of their daily lives.  Personally I think cruising has been infected in recent years with the "we have to have complete sensory overload for our passengers or they won't come on our ship anymore...bigger, better, faster, more ;)"

My wife and I and our 11 and 8 yr old spent 9 nights on Grandeur in August with 4 sea days.

Then we spent 9 nights on Grandeur again in Dec with 3.5 or so sea days.

I was concerned since all the shows in the theater were essentially the same my kids might have gotten bored....but they never did and they had a blast on both trips.  We are going on Anthem in April (which is one of the large, so much to do on it, ships) and I know I am personally worried that I'm not going to get to relax since they will be running around from one activity to another instead of slowing down, listening to music, hanging out in the pool....

And on edit.....put the little ones in the day care, they will be entertained and you can relax for a while.  Everyday.

Edited by dodgestang

I would make sure the ship has a nursery on it, otherwise your 1 y/o will not have babysitting.  They will also not be allowed in the pools, unless the ship has a splash zone for non-toilet trained kids.  I will have to look at the floor plans for this ship, but I would personally not bring little kids like that on such a long cruise unless they had kid/baby friendly areas. Be prepared to bring diapers, wipes, meds, etc that your kids will need.

If you choose to be bored you will be bored, plain and simple. I've done three of the 12 night cruises on Grandeur and they are absolutely fantastic. The journey down the Chesapeake is amazing to see (in this nerds opinion). Grandeur has a lot to offer. I was more bored on Anthem in November and found myself wanting to be back on Grandeur. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

I am booked on a 12 Day Grandeur cruise in April.  It has 7 Sea Days.  I am very worried we will be incredibly bored.  It is my wife and me, our two sons (4 and 1), and my parents.  Has anyone done that many sea days on Grandeur?  Will we lose our minds?  I booked this due to the ports, but didnt consider the small ship and the large number of Sea days....

6&8

We’ve been on the 12 nights Grandeur back in 2017 January and had a ball. Zumba and dancing in centrum. Quest adult game not to be missed. Very nice gracious fellow passengers. Great service. Going again soon. Just completed transatlantic on Visions and had a wonderful time. I think the key to being busy is the activities staff. Generally on RCL we’ve been blessed with the best.

1 hour ago, JinxyB said:

I would make sure the ship has a nursery on it, otherwise your 1 y/o will not have babysitting.  They will also not be allowed in the pools, unless the ship has a splash zone for non-toilet trained kids.  I will have to look at the floor plans for this ship, but I would personally not bring little kids like that on such a long cruise unless they had kid/baby friendly areas. Be prepared to bring diapers, wipes, meds, etc that your kids will need.

Our daughter have been on 4 cruises, she is one year old. She was 3.5 months old on her first cruise, 11nts Genoa to Hamburg. Believe it or not, but we acctualy like spending time with her and would never put a one year old in the ships nursery. 

It take some planing but cruising with a baby isn't impossible.

20180418_203800.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Our daughter have been on 4 cruises, she is one year old. She was 3.5 months old on her first cruise, 11nts Genoa to Hamburg. Believe it or not, but we acctualy like spending time with her and would never put a one year old in the ships nursery. 

It take some planing but cruising with a baby isn't impossible.

20180418_203800.jpg

That’s fine that YOU would never put your child in the nursery, but perhaps other parents want to utilize the nursery for a date night, speciality dining, etc.

Which cruise?  We are on the April 6 departure.  And BTW, only 6 sea days.  I don't count departure as a sea day.

Grandeur is not a floating amusement park.  If you need lots of external things to keep you from being bored, you might not be happy.  

But we love Grandeur.  This will be our 3rd in the same cabin (my 4th on her) and we have another one already booked.

• Like 2