Booking future cruises while on board

Winesome

15 hours ago, Retired_Army said:

Recommend you at least stop by the Future Cruise desk, I'm sure you will walk past it at least once.  Our last cruise had several additional people working there that could answer questions and provide area brochures (Asia, Caribbean, etc.) and tell you if there were any onboard specials.  I don't remember seeing the specials advertised any place on board.  You don't have to see the Future Cruise Consultant, who is usually tied up, just to get information.

The specials are limited, but if you find one to your liking you can book with a fully refundable deposit i.e. the FCD which also provides OBC.  We booked our next cruise on board and received an additional $600 OBC.

IMO, it was well worth waiting in line 10 minutes time on our recent cruise to meet with the onboard Future Cruise Consultant.  After meeting with him,  $900 OBC on a future cruise.  And that is in additional to any OBC from our TA.

Good luck.

King

Hi all, I just logged on to ask this question and found this post at the top of the message board.  My question seems to have been answered but I want to make sure I have understood:  I am going on my first Princess cruise on January 29th (yay, can't wait) but I already have my eyes on a second cruise, in July.  I just put a 3 day complimentary hold on a cabin for that cruise, but the deposit is nearly $1300, and I am reluctant to pay it because right now the trip (I am hoping to fit in a cruise to St Petersburg after a worktrip to Germany) is not confirmed.  

My sneaky plan, if I have understood how FCD work, is to buy a FCD on embarkation day and book the cruise right there and then.  My question is:  does the $100 FCD really count as the full deposit - I wouldn't have to use it AND pay the extra $1200 as well?   If that is the case, I would jump because I can risk losing $100, but not the full deposit.  The trip will be confirmed before the full payment is due.   I realise I am risking getting on board and discovering there are no cabins left but cest la vie...

So, have i understood the FCD thing properly?

many thanks for your replies,

TG

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Fully refundable to the same form of payment if not used. It's a no-brainer.

Could not use 2 of ours within the 4 year time frame given for FCC.

Paid $115 Canadian for each one at that time.  Princess sent me checks 4 years later for $100. Canadian.

Yes.  The Future Cruise Deposit of $100 per person is your full deposit on any upcoming cruise.  Plus you get Onboard credit commensurate with the length of the cruise:

Future Cruise Deposit OBC  
  Cruise length    OBC amount per person
  6 days or less   $25
  7–10 days   $50
  11–16 days   $100
  17 days or longer

$150

Edit: I think this does not apply to World Cruises

Edited by Ferd Berfle

On our second cruise, we queued up with so many other passengers to go into the Future cruise office, as we wanted to book a cruise to Alaska. We queued for 30 mins, we must have been in the office less than five mins. No time to ask any questions, a balcony cabin was booked and deposit paid and we were out the office before we knew it.

We found the whole process very stressful, no information given and not sure if we received any benefits for booking that way. 

Next time,  we will book in the comfort of our own home and not waste vacation time queuing. 

The best advice we received about future cruises was from the lovely passengers we met on the cruise.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:29 AM, trinitygirl said:

Hi all, I just logged on to ask this question and found this post at the top of the message board.  My question seems to have been answered but I want to make sure I have understood:  I am going on my first Princess cruise on January 29th (yay, can't wait) but I already have my eyes on a second cruise, in July.  I just put a 3 day complimentary hold on a cabin for that cruise, but the deposit is nearly $1300, and I am reluctant to pay it because right now the trip (I am hoping to fit in a cruise to St Petersburg after a worktrip to Germany) is not confirmed.  

My sneaky plan, if I have understood how FCD work, is to buy a FCD on embarkation day and book the cruise right there and then.  My question is:  does the $100 FCD really count as the full deposit - I wouldn't have to use it AND pay the extra $1200 as well?   If that is the case, I would jump because I can risk losing $100, but not the full deposit.  The trip will be confirmed before the full payment is due.   I realise I am risking getting on board and discovering there are no cabins left but cest la vie...

So, have i understood the FCD thing properly?

many thanks for your replies,

TG

Yes, your FCD will act as your fun deposit.   We have found the onboard consultants busy, but always helpful.  Don't let them rush you out, ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable in making a decision. Remember when you are at sea, their internet access is the same as everyone else on the ship.  They still have to connect back to the home office to book cabins etc.

Additionally, there are often times "onboard specials" that if booked while onboard gives you extra incentives.  Not every date or itinerary, but there might be something that interests you.  While on our last cruise we booked a TA for this May with an additional $600 OBC. 

Hope you can do the St Petersburg cruise out of Warnemude.  That was one of our favorites

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:29 AM, trinitygirl said:

My question is:  does the $100 FCD really count as the full deposit - I wouldn't have to use it AND pay the extra $1200 as well?   If that is the case, I would jump because I can risk losing $100, but not the full deposit.  The trip will be confirmed before the full payment is due.

Others have correctly told you that the $100 would be your full deposit.  In addition, unless you book a cruise fare that requires a non refundable deposit, you will get your FCD deposited back into your account if you cancel before final payment date.  So you really have nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, coops14 said:

On our second cruise, we queued up with so many other passengers to go into the Future cruise office, as we wanted to book a cruise to Alaska. We queued for 30 mins, we must have been in the office less than five mins. No time to ask any questions, a balcony cabin was booked and deposit paid and we were out the office before we knew it.

We found the whole process very stressful, no information given and not sure if we received any benefits for booking that way. 

Next time,  we will book in the comfort of our own home and not waste vacation time queuing. 

The best advice we received about future cruises was from the lovely passengers we met on the cruise.

One of the main reasons we never book onboard.

Just buy the FCD and book when we get home. Not wasting my cruise time standing around only to be rushed through a cruise booking.

Thank you all for your advice!  I didn’t know the FCD were refundable, that’s even better news.  This cruise required a non-refundable deposit of over $1300, so that’s a big difference.  I just had another look and there are still balcony gty cabins available, and tomorrow is embarkation day so its looking positive.  The cruise i am hoping to book is a return from Helsinki, but it does have a call at Warnemude.

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

The one and only time I stood and waited to see the “consultant”, I found him to be smug, ill mannered and eager to be elsewhere and doing something else. 

NEVER again. 

good to know

7 hours ago, coops14 said:

Is there a reason you didn't ask questions?  We went in and talked to the lady as long as we wanted.  There were people waiting and she did seem to try to hurry us but I just sat there and asked away until I was satisfied.

1 hour ago, trinitygirl said:

Thank you all for your advice!  I didn’t know the FCD were refundable, that’s even better news.  This cruise required a non-refundable deposit of over $1300, so that’s a big difference.  I just had another look and there are still balcony gty cabins available, and tomorrow is embarkation day so its looking positive.  The cruise i am hoping to book is a return from Helsinki, but it does have a call at Warnemude.

If you use an FCD on a non refundable booking you will lose it of you cancel regardless.

We purchased our first FCD on our Panama Canal Cruise last March.  There was no line to see the consultant.  We didn’t book a new cruise onboard, but waited until we got home and went to our TA and used the FCD for a August 2019 Baltic/St. Petersburg Cruise. We were very pleased because the going down payment for that cruise was either $400 or $800.  (I can’t remember exactly.). This worked very well for us and we will definitely be getting another FCD on our upcoming Caribbean cruise.

15 hours ago, sprint180 said:

Is there a reason you didn't ask questions?  We went in and talked to the lady as long as we wanted.  There were people waiting and she did seem to try to hurry us but I just sat there and asked away until I was satisfied.

It was a whirlwind, we were in and out of the office so quickly. Maybe we had a bad experience.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, skynight said:

It's rare that there would be a lower fare or extra OBC or other benefits if you book while on board. You will get the $100 deposit benefit plus applicable OBC, the same as you would receive if you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) for $100 each. FCD's must be purchased specifically by name. If there are two you then one or more in each name.

You can not use OBC to pay for cruise deposits or FCD's. They go directly to your credit card on file. 

We always purchase FCD's and have some in our account. They are fully refundable if not used.

Upon making your new booking, the appropriate shipboard credit will be applied.*
Future Cruise Length Per Person Shipboard Credit*
17 - 44 Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite
11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite
7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite
3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

Good to know how much $ one gets for what length of cruise &  type of cabin from a FCD