Encore TA Itinerary Change!

happy cruzin

4 hours ago, ms Eden said:

I agree the wording is confusing. I was in the same boat and had the same question and based on my one time experience, the answer is yes, NCL would pay (up to a cap).  

I was on a recent NCL cruise that was canceled half way (Jade Thanksgiving). We chose to forgo the free charter flights and travel independently and NCL paid for our flights back to Miami, full new fares, not change fees.  

I hope you're right....but as blcrusing already posted - that is not usually the way it works. NCL seems to focus only on "change fees"  which the new reservations would not be for those who now have to book flights home to Florida.

35 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Agreed...it's not like they are new at this whole "new ship" thing! I'm guessing somebody must waived some BIG money at them to add the promotional sailings!

I don’t think there’s any financial gain with the promo sailings - it costs NCL a bundle to offer them.

My suspicion - NCL was overly optimistic after the Bliss launch (those Alaska sailings were near capacity and at HIGH rates) and thought they could toss 2 more similar ships into the mix and simply ride the prior promotional coattails.  

Based on the endless Joy promos... I’m thinking things haven’t gone as planned, and now they’re anxious (desperate?) to pump some new promotional $$ into these ships.  I can’t think of any other reasonable explanation as to why they wouldn’t have planned for these “industry” cruises in the first place. 

Just now, TheDougOut said:

I don’t think there’s any financial gain with the promo sailings - it costs NCL a bundle to offer them.

My suspicion - NCL was overly optimistic after the Bliss launch (those Alaska sailings were near capacity and at HIGH rates) and thought they could toss 2 more similar ships into the mix and simply ride the prior promotional coattails.  

Based on the endless Joy promos... I’m thinking things haven’t gone as planned, and now they’re anxious (desperate?) to pump some new promotional $$ into these ships.  I can’t think of any other reasonable explanation as to why they wouldn’t have planned for these “industry” cruises in the first place. 

Could be!  But either way it's $$$ - or the fear of losing $$$ - that is the reason for the change, I'm sure.

26 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

Maybe, but it's the exact same thing they did with Getaway. It was also originally supposed to sail to Miami then was changed to NYC.

1 minute ago, LrgPizza said:

Maybe, but it's the exact same thing they did with Getaway. It was also originally supposed to sail to Miami then was changed to NYC.

Same situation in regards to them adding additional preview sailings?  If so, that’s just stupid that they’d make the same blunder twice (or are we up to 3 times with Joy?). 

63F73C15-C5EF-446C-A0B1-9A2995E7E18E.jpeg

• Haha 2

Perfect time to have Nationwide Choice or Luxury Cruise Insurance 

You’d get either $750 per person(Choice plan) or $1,250 per person (Luxury plan)  just for this itinerary change 😜😜💰💰

We only use them and have gotten paid 3 out of our last 4 cruises including $1,250 each on our Bliss Panama Canal Cruise for port changes PRE Cruise 😜💰

Not all States are included in the

cruise benefit part but most are....I’ve included a pic of the States that are Excluded 

Nationwide is On Your Side 😃💰💰😜

44598BA6-1EF2-41FF-89FD-445D7F5FFC40.jpeg

I am not 100% surprised, NCL changes/cancels cruises quite often. Especially the unique ones.

I am booked on the TA but will be cancelling; I called the dedicated line today but was on hold for a long time. IMHO the itinerary change is awful.

Had no issues with the Breakaway or Escape TA cruises.

It will be interesting to hear how many have cancelled, but not sure how anyone would know this. 

Safe sailing all! 

17 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

It will be interesting to hear how many have cancelled, but not sure how anyone would know this. 

As you may have seen in the roll call... we try to monitor booking capacity rather closely.  As soon as the new itinerary opens up, I’ll post an update.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

As you may have seen in the roll call... we try to monitor booking capacity rather closely.  As soon as the new itinerary opens up, I’ll post an update.  

Thanks. That would be interesting, at least to me.

I did see your spread sheet on the RC. I appreciate all of the work you put into it and the RC.

You are a nice man.😊

• Like 1

I think people might be surprised that despite the outrage of a handful of guests on CC, this might not affect as many passengers as some of you might think. Yeah, there will likely be some who cancel, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of passengers are flexible and just roll with it. As I've said, it actually works in our favor, so just because you believe it screws you doesn't mean it screws everyone. Many people go into inaugural transatlantics understanding that changes can happen. If you aren't one of those people, I suppose you will be now.

Edited by LrgPizza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

I think people might be surprised that despite the outrage of a handful of guests on CC, this might not affect as many passengers as some of you might think. Yeah, there will likely be some who cancel, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of passengers are flexible and just roll with it. As I've said, it actually works in our favor, so just because you believe it screws you doesn't mean it screws everyone. Many people go into inaugural transatlantics understanding that changes can happen. If you aren't one of those people, I suppose you will be now.

Not sure why you are upset about people not liking the changes with the Encore TA. That is how you are coming across in your tone. 

Good for you that it works out better. Not everyone feels 'screwed as you put it. I don't  feel 'screwed', it was changed and I don't  like it.

In my experience, I have never had issues on an inaugural transatlantic and I have done a few and not only NCL. If the current itinirary was the same at the beginning I would have never booked it. I believe the Bliss and the Getaway were that same itinerary so I did not go.

To each their own, no reason to reprimand others who don't agree with you.

Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by Cruisercl

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

I think people might be surprised that despite the outrage of a handful of guests on CC, this might not affect as many passengers as some of you might think. 

Maybe just a coincidence - but I’ve seen a spike in new roll call sign-ups in the past 12 hours.  No such thing as bad publicity?

5 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

I seem to remember that the reason for the change was that Getaway was chartered as the Bud Light hotel for the Superbowl after the TA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheDougOut said:

Maybe just a coincidence - but I’ve seen a spike in new roll call sign-ups in the past 12 hours.  No such thing as bad publicity?

Hmmmm....roll calls aren’t what they used to be.  I usually don’t sign up anymore myself. 

The new folks probably are looking for access to information, they got that, and a party plan.  Win-win!

The Encore roll call looks awesome, lots of activity and fun planned.  I didn’t follow the Bliss roll call, but booked her for Alaska after stumbling on and then following the live posts from Doug and a couple others on the Trans Atlantic.  What a beautiful ship.  If I remember correctly, they booked the Encore while still sailing since they had so much fun.

We’re not making a decision one way or the other until final payment is due.  We’ll probably still go - I just wish it wasn’t so cold in both ports, London and New York.

6 hours ago, TheDougOut said:

I sent my one friend to the not to be mentioned group.  I didn't realize she wasn't on it it until the change-up happened. 
Before the encore, we have other vacations and ~ a wedding~ ♥  So probably like many others, people dont' really get around to signing up for stuff til closer to their sailing dates.

46 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

I sent my one friend to the not to be mentioned group.

Facebook.  We’re allowed to say it.  🙂

I don’t promote it on our CC roll call, as per the CC posting guidelines.  If done with good intentions, I believe the cross-platform posting benefits the CruiseCritic brand.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

Yeah, but the Getaway went to New York when it was chartered to be the Bud Lite hotel for the Super Bowl. 

But, NCL's track record on these inaugural cruises is not the greatest (we have been booked on all of them). And their compensation is insulting (last week our Joy cruise was cancelled, this week our Encore cruise). 

Getaway inaugural from Miami was cancelled (due to the Super Bowl charter)

Escape inaugural (4-day) from Miami went off as planned

Bliss inaugural from Seattle went off as planned

Joy inaugural from Seattle cancelled (due to extended promotional activities)

Encore inaugural from Miami cancelled (due to extended promotional activities)  

Edited by BirdTravels

12 hours ago, LaCal said:

Perfect time to have Nationwide Choice or Luxury Cruise Insurance 

You’d get either $750 per person(Choice plan) or $1,250 per person (Luxury plan)  just for this itinerary change 😜😜💰💰

We only use them and have gotten paid 3 out of our last 4 cruises including $1,250 each on our Bliss Panama Canal Cruise for port changes PRE Cruise 😜💰

Not all States are included in the

cruise benefit part but most are....I’ve included a pic of the States that are Excluded 

Nationwide is On Your Side 😃💰💰😜

44598BA6-1EF2-41FF-89FD-445D7F5FFC40.jpeg

Is NCL deciding to do some parties and joy rides a covered reason?

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah, but the Getaway went to New York when it was chartered to be the Bud Lite hotel for the Super Bowl. 

But, NCL's track record on these inaugural cruises is not the greatest (we have been booked on all of them). And their compensation is insulting (last week our Joy cruise was cancelled, this week our Encore cruise). 

Getaway inaugural from Miami was cancelled (due to the Super Bowl charter)

Escape inaugural (4-day) from Miami went off as planned

Bliss inaugural from Seattle went off as planned

Joy inaugural from Seattle cancelled (due to extended promotional activities)

Encore inaugural from Miami cancelled (due to extended promotional activities)  

LOL don't waste your breath.  I had to laugh out loud at Lrgpizza's surprise that people are actually upset NCL broke their contract during the sailing because (get this) people SHOULD know better. All those passengers are fools to believe anything NCL says?  I have seen some fantastic spin,  rationalizations,  and justifications from cheerleaders over the years on this board but this one takes the prize.  Let them eat cake!

Edited by david_sobe

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

LOL don't waste your breath.  I had to laugh out loud at Lrgpizza's surprise that people are actually upset NCL broke their contract during the sailing because (get this) people SHOULD know better. All those passengers are fools to believe anything NCL says?  I have seen some fantastic spin,  rationalizations,  and justifications from cheerleaders over the years on this board but this one takes the prize.  Let them eat cake!

I wouldn't call them fools, and I'm not sure you should. People are not fools. I just think that as adults, we often learn from the past. I think some probably will. It certainly doesn't mean anyone is foolish. Don't put words in my mouth.  I'm neither upset about this (as someone else seems to think) or surprised. I am just giving a different viewpoint. I realize that is frowned upon and I should merely commiserate, but I don't feel the need.