Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OneSixtyToOne

Barcelona Gaudí Architecture Tours

Recommended Posts

Our upcoming "Along Europe's Western Coast" cruise offers two different optional tours featuring Gaudí Architecture while in Barcelona.


The "Gaudí Architecture" tour is a walking tour which features an interior visit to La Sagrada Família Cathedral.

 

The "Gaudí: The Great Architect of Modernism" tour offers privileged access to Casa Vicens. It also describes a "viewing" of the cathedral. Typically "viewing" means a drive by or a short stop at the exterior. Has anyone taken this tour? Privileged access to Casa Vicens sounds tempting but I really want to visit the interior of the cathedral. Can anyone offer guidance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Our upcoming "Along Europe's Western Coast" cruise offers two different optional tours featuring Gaudí Architecture while in Barcelona.


The "Gaudí Architecture" tour is a walking tour which features an interior visit to La Sagrada Família Cathedral.

 

The "Gaudí: The Great Architect of Modernism" tour offers privileged access to Casa Vicens. It also describes a "viewing" of the cathedral. Typically "viewing" means a drive by or a short stop at the exterior. Has anyone taken this tour? Privileged access to Casa Vicens sounds tempting but I really want to visit the interior of the cathedral. Can anyone offer guidance?

 

Do see the inside of the cathedral.   We were worried about being able to get what we wanted in this area being a V cabin but we arrived 3 days early and did an 8 hr tour that covered Barri Gotic walking, Mojunic hill, Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell  and Casa Milo with skip the line access and guide.  All transportation covered w/ lunch on your own in one day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vino100 said:

What tour company did you use ?

 

We got the tour with some others through Viator but this tour was done by Explore Catalunya  (That may not be exact spelling--can be found on trip advisor with reviews and exact spelling)  It does not include pick up or delivery or cost of lunch.  It is about 8 hours and is a wonderful overview.  Be prepared to walk and navigate stairs.  Nothing strenuous but they are there.  I'll try to include as many pics as CC will allow me to post. 

DSC00294.JPG

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00395.JPG

DSC00461.JPG

DSC00256.JPG

DSC00602.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, my visit to Sagrada Família is in my personal list of top-five ever experiences, maybe even top-three.  Of course, your mileage may vary.  We were not part of a tour. If you decide to do this on your own, be sure to get tickets in advance: otherwise you'll be standing in a long slow-moving line to get them.  Casa Vicens is nice,  but Sagrada Familia is very special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used Barcelona Day Tours...the guides were excellent.  We also did their day tour of Monseratt that was very good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used Barcelona day tours also.  They were excellent.  They booked tickets for us for a skip the line guided tour of the interior too.  Amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

So has anyone taken the tours offered by Viking?

We did the Gaudi Architecture tour on Viking's Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, and it was a very good tour. It lasted 4.5 hours and included an indoor visit at La Sagrada Familia and a tour of Parc Guell, along with a drive by of two of Gaudi's other houses. This was our second visit to La Sagrada Familia, and the first visit was on a beautiful sunny day, and with Viking it was rainy. Obviously, not under Viking's control , but the experience was not as stunning.

 

The Gaudi Architecture excursion was initially sold out by the time we could book, but I kept checking back and Viking added another bus so we were able to change our schedule to get our first choice. My back-up plan was to take the included tour with Viking, with a walking portion which ended near the Palau Guell ( another Gaudi mansion). It was our intent to complete the tour and follow with a visit to Palau Guell on our own. If we ever get back to Barcelona, that will be what we will do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deec said:

We used Barcelona Day Tours...the guides were excellent.  We also did their day tour of Monseratt that was very good! 

I agree - we used them to transfer from the ship to the hotel, including a full day tour of Barcelona & Monserrat - Just check their website for various tours - we did skip the line for Park Guell, did not tour interior of the Sagrada Familia. BDT is very conscientious about getting you back to the ship on time, we had a couple that was staying on the ship and considering the time, the guide sent them back in a cab w/ money to pay the fare, so they didn't see Park Guell.  Very responsive to emails.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

We did the Gaudi Architecture tour on Viking's Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, and it was a very good tour. It lasted 4.5 hours and included an indoor visit at La Sagrada Familia and a tour of Parc Guell, along with a drive by of two of Gaudi's other houses. This was our second visit to La Sagrada Familia, and the first visit was on a beautiful sunny day, and with Viking it was rainy. Obviously, not under Viking's control , but the experience was not as stunning.

 

The Gaudi Architecture excursion was initially sold out by the time we could book, but I kept checking back and Viking added another bus so we were able to change our schedule to get our first choice. My back-up plan was to take the included tour with Viking, with a walking portion which ended near the Palau Guell ( another Gaudi mansion). It was our intent to complete the tour and follow with a visit to Palau Guell on our own. If we ever get back to Barcelona, that will be what we will do!

 

We stayed at Hotel Gaudi, right across the street from Palau Guell and had a great view right off our balcony.

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00191.JPG

DSC00192.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dauntless,

 

Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures. I do hope to tour that building someday. From other pictures I have seen of the interior, I think it may be a somewhat more conventional design by Gaudi, but really stunning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Dauntless,

 

Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures. I do hope to tour that building someday. From other pictures I have seen of the interior, I think it may be a somewhat more conventional design by Gaudi, but really stunning.

 

There are a couple of short videos on youtube for you to get an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is cause and effect, but the non-Gaudi architecture in Barcelona is also excellent and occasionally spectacular.  So have a look around at other buildings when you're there.  Perhaps because of Gaudi, the other architects felt the need to up their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used Barcelona Day Tours also and we were very happy with the tour.  We were happy to be in a comfortable van with 12 others instead of a bus full of people.  The logistics of getting on and off, listening to a guide, asking questions etc. is more user friendly.  The cost was a push with the ship’s tour but IMO a superior product.  BTW we did the Montserrat, Barcelona, and Güell Park tour that included Sagrada Familia (outside).  The outside tour was so good that when we toured the inside (next day) we felt like we already had the best experience.  We did have an excellent guide and that does make a difference.  BTW included pickup and drop off at the port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 5:31 AM, wildcat68 said:

We used Barcelona Day Tours also and we were very happy with the tour.  We were happy to be in a comfortable van with 12 others instead of a bus full of people.  The logistics of getting on and off, listening to a guide, asking questions etc. is more user friendly.  The cost was a push with the ship’s tour but IMO a superior product.  BTW we did the Montserrat, Barcelona, and Güell Park tour that included Sagrada Familia (outside).  The outside tour was so good that when we toured the inside (next day) we felt like we already had the best experience.  We did have an excellent guide and that does make a difference.  BTW included pickup and drop off at the port.

 

Thank you all for such great advice!  We are on the Exploring Western Europe Coastline tour April 25 that starts in Barcelona.  We have a couple days free time ahead of time and thought we might do some non-Viking tours then.  THe options people describe sound great!  and you don't have to worry about getting to the ship on time.

Excellent pictures people posted (and some good YouTube's as well out there)...

Would be interested if anyone on the Apr 25th cruise is doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto to what CC WineLover said. We also have a couple days on our own before the Exploring Western Europe Coastline and I appreciate the information. Thanks ALL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't suppose anyone going to Barcelona wants to do any of the Gaudi buildings using public transportation.  However, the bus system in Barcelona is pretty decent.  I took a bus to Parc Guell and a bus to Sagrada Familia.  I saw Casa Batllo at night (we stayed over a night in Barcelona).  It's close to a Metro stop (as is Casa Vicens), so easy to do on your own. 

2020 Sagrada whole magilla.jpg

2000 Batllo night turq & purple.jpg

2022 Sagrada details.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...