Btimmer's Almost Live Blog - Maasdam to Sri Lanka 2019

Btimmer

For those interested in following my almost live daily blog about our RT EXC cruise on the Maasdam from Singapore to Sri Lanka, below is the link:

Https://timmer2019srilanka.blogspot.com

Like my previous blogs, I'll comment on our activities and compare this EXC cruise with inaugural EXC cruise we were on last September and October.

i'll also post pictures in this thread and answer any questions you might have.

We're scheduled to depart in a few hours and we're looking forward to the cruise.  We even splurged and have a window cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

For those interested in following my almost live daily blog about our RT EXC cruise on the Maasdam from Singapore to Sri Lanka, below is the link:

Https://timmer2019srilanka.blogspot.com

Like my previous blogs, I'll comment on our activities and compare this EXC cruise with inaugural EXC cruise we were on last September and October.

i'll also post pictures in this thread and answer any questions you might have.

We're scheduled to depart in a few hours and we're looking forward to the cruise.  We even splurged and have a window cabin.

Thanks again for taking the trouble for a blog, have read your previous one of Maasdam in preperation of our December cruise and will do the same in preperation of our May cruise, both on the beautifull Maasdam 🙂

Today was our first port and it was a tender port.  Tendering went easy and I was #1 on the first tender which was a local tender.  We did a private walking tour with a small group which was excellent.  Other details will be in my daily blog post to be uploaded later.74957C5B-1333-4DC6-BA96-EA1468AE5041.thumb.jpeg.5ac3b4ad1e2cc0e65cbacccbf2a50e4a.jpegMile zero in Malacca

08C2337D-5681-452E-AB96-D0B54E566CED.thumb.jpeg.46ab3b9fc535fb13a18a5034b965f0b6.jpeg 

Tri-shaw ride.  Very cool

A13C1883-8FFF-4F38-82BF-BB63DB542DAF.thumb.jpeg.e490f24639505330cb88b13a116cb1be.jpeg

like gold?EEEC0E70-20B1-47F7-8FED-3DED2C7006FA.thumb.jpeg.4add85d2b5d04c2668e298e9cd4ce32f.jpegTendering

• Like 1

Today for the first time we were permitted out on the bow to observe the Zodiacs up close.  Here are a few pictures and I'll put more details in today's blog post.  If you have any questions, please post them here.

7243E6F0-3A94-41FE-957C-C43F5598119E.thumb.jpeg.215f46ed8b28a99b373ffdfb6bac9794.jpegB1158041-43B5-4E27-8D49-922CEBD97756.thumb.jpeg.4c9a0ad6092f503256f88ed2e7ac112a.jpegDiesel OutboardA8DF9CFD-F02C-42FD-823C-1E10878AB39E.thumb.jpeg.7d3c43d426a5155acd2f143d9e83cff3.jpeg

Hello Tim,

On your blog, I see you mention Brett doing a port talk, is this by any chance this Brett;

We have had him on two previous cruises and enjoy his knowledge and company very much.

Brett.jpg

Edited by Alphen

46 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Hello Tim,

On your blog, I see you mention Brett doing a port talk, is this by any chance this Brett;

We have had him on two previous cruises and enjoy his knowledge and company very much.

Brett.jpg

Yes, that's him.  He is an excellent presenter.

I'm curious as to which travel router you are using and how one would connect it to the ship's internet - the only way I know is to hardwire it to a modem so obviously there's something I'm missing! 

If Carol and John are CJCruiser - say hi from Susan. 

Really enjoying your blog as we'll be on the Maasdam in April. 

15 hours ago, DWAliaschief said:

I'm curious as to which travel router you are using and how one would connect it to the ship's internet - the only way I know is to hardwire it to a modem so obviously there's something I'm missing! 

Hi Susan, it's John and Caro(CJcruzer) sailing with Btimmer - our third year in a row - 2017 together in Japan, 2018 in Indonesia, and now, 2019, in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Maldives.

Looks like we will have to find another cruise together with you and Bruce, it's been too long!😊

Edited by CJcruzer

On 2/4/2019 at 2:36 AM, DWAliaschief said:

It's a RavPower RP-WD03 with a self contained battery.  In summary one electronically connects the router to the Ship's WiFi, puts the router in Bridge mode,  and then connect your devices via WiFi to the router.  It's a bit more fiddly than that, and I could write up a detailed description on my blog if there is sufficient interest.

For those interested there is now a specific section in the Explorations Cafe devoted to books related to the EXC voyage. This was just revealed by KK this morning.

812BAAA1-23AA-4D72-B9FD-B1A54C0FAD12.thumb.jpeg.fb17a00cda59659cb96f112a77025965.jpeg

Edited by Btimmer

9 hours ago, Btimmer said:

It's a RavPower RP-WD03 with a self contained battery.  In summary one electronically connects the router to the Ship's WiFi, puts the router in Bridge mode,  and then connect your devices via WiFi to the router.  It's a bit more fiddly than that, and I could write up a detailed description on my blog if there is sufficient interest.

Thank you so much for offering to do this. I would appreciate the instructions. 

I am really enjoying your blog.

A couple of cabin question for you - have the small televisions been replaced, or are they still the little computer-sized screens?   How well did the air conditioning work during your trip?  Would you suggest an extra (albeit) small fan?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On 2/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, CJcruzer said:

Hi Susan, it's John and Caro(CJcruzer) sailing with Btimmer - our third year in a row - 2017 together in Japan, 2018 in Indonesia, and now, 2019, in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Maldives.

Looks like we will have to find another cruise together with you and Bruce, it's been too long!😊

We do - thinking about South America after 2020!