Southern Caribbean cruise in September? Concerned about the weather

We are thinking of taking a southern Caribbean cruise leaving from San Juan at the end of September. I am worried about it being hurricane season. Has anyone taken a southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan at this time of year, and what was your weather experience? It’s an incredible price for a 7 day cruise, and visits 5 ports—St Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados. Thank you for any insight! 

Just now, FirstAnthem said:

We are thinking of taking a southern Caribbean cruise leaving from San Juan at the end of September. I am worried about it being hurricane season. Has anyone taken a southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan at this time of year, and what was your weather experience? It’s an incredible price for a 7 day cruise, and visits 5 ports—St Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados. Thank you for any insight! 

Done many times. Have been deverted and even one cruise cancelled. Sure would never hesitate to go again.

9 minutes ago, FirstAnthem said:

Yes, we've taken a Southern Caribbean cruise in September, with no weather issues.  The vast majority of cruises won't have weather issues.  However, bad weather can happen any time of the year.

Leaving from Puerto Rico?  Some people have short memories.

Remember the cruisers who were trapped there with an approaching hurricane and couldn't easily get flights off the island?  

I live in Florida.  That's bad enough during hurricane season.  We don't book Caribbean cruises from August through mid-October.

• Thanks 1

My family and I cruised out of San Juan on the "Adventure of the Seas" in early October 2017 just over 2 weeks after Hurricane Maria devastated the Caribbean and Puerto Rico. Of course Hurricane Harvey also came through in August 2017 and we watched that carefully.

We were the first cruise ship to sail out of San Juan after the hurricane Maria had passed. The previous two scheduling RCI sailings were cancelled. We thought for certain our sailing would be cancelled too, as Puerto Rico was in dire straits.

The airport when we landed was only running on generator power and all of San Juan was still without any power. No water, gas stations, taxis or restaurants were open. Of course we could not visit and tour OSJ.

Nonetheless, we did sail and had a fabulous cruise. The only port we missed was St. Maarten, because it was devastated. The Oct. 2017 cruise went to St. Kitts, Antigua, Martinique, St. Lucia and Barbados. If you sail in hurricane season, you take your chances that your cruise may be cancelled or ports altered.

That being said, we are sailing out of San Juan in July 2019 on the Freedom of the Seas for another Southern Caribbean cruise. This time we hope to tour OSJ and visit St. Maarten as well as the ABC islands.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Never sailed out of San Juan, but did get affected by our scheduled cruise during Hurricane Harvey. Cruise sailed but we had to cancel because our house flooded. I would encourage anyone to get cruise insurance, just in case. Thank goodness, we do

Once you're actually IN the S. Caribbean, you'll be good to go...hurricanes rarely affect the southern portion of the Caribbean.  Just because it's "hurricane season" really means nothing except you MIGHT have a storm...there's a better chance you won't, tho!