Labadee shade for mobility limited Mom

Kiran

Starting to panic as cruise draws near. My Mom has limited mobility and stamina at 87 and after a recent hip replacement. I will pay whatever necessary for her to have easy to access shade. Even walking 60 feet over sand intimidates her. 

What are the options for Labadee? We are a party of 6 but her  having accessible shade and lounger/bed is paramount.

5 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Starting to panic as cruise draws near. My Mom has limited mobility and stamina at 87 and after a recent hip replacement. I will pay whatever necessary for her to have easy to access shade. Even walking 60 feet over sand intimidates her. 

What are the options for Labadee? We are a party of 6 but her  having accessible shade and lounger/bed is paramount.

The dock at Labadee is long!!  Ask for help getting her to the shuttle which takes you over to the beach.  

There will be some local guys there “setting up” your chairs for you and you can let them know you will need shade.  

Be be sure to take a few dollars to tip them....

My mom is in the same boat. You can get a wheelchair to take her from where you get off the boat to where you pick up the trams. I get us a beach bungalow on columbus cove that is a covered cabana like structure with a nice couch. There are paved pathways for the majority of the distance from the tram to the bungalows, the only sand really is walking into the area and to your bungalow. Might be possible to get the first one so she doesnt have to walk as far. It is also by bathrooms and the food. 

Edited by sailaway04

12 minutes ago, DaNana said:

There is a shuttle to take you places but you have to get off the ship and up to the area to catch it. There are some trees around and the chairs are movable. I only remember loungers though. 

you should be able to get a ride as soon as you get off the ship. We were in the same situation last year with my wife. If I recall correctly, we got a ride in a golf cart.

Have you considered letting her stay on the ship.  I have been to Labadee a lot and now prefer just to relax in a comfy lounger in the solarium on board.  Ship is very relaxing especially when it’s empty!  Just a suggestion!  There isn’t much to do other than the beach. Vendors in the shopping area tend to be very pushy - prefer to avoid.

There are sand wheelchairs and golf carts waiting to take people down the pier - it’s a long walk, but is level and concrete.  Once you arrive at the end of the pier you can catch a shuttle that circulates through the various areas, beaches, vendors.  Shuttles are open type - think bench seat trams pulled by some type of vehicle; you do have to step up to get on.  

Bathrooms are available, but could mean a decent walk.  Same way with the luncheon that is served.  You would have to walk and sit at picnic type tables. 

Locals will set up loungers where you request.  There are some shady areas, depending on where you choose.

There is no charge for the pier transportation, shuttles, chairs, but customary to tip a few dollars. 

Not sure about cabanas - often expensive and booked.  

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Thank you all for the suggestions. 

I will ask my Mom if she would like to remain on ship.

She doesn't want to be left out of the fun but having breakfast and evening with everyone else might be enough for that day.

Especially if she has some good books!

Not so worried now.

4 hours ago, Kiran said:

She doesn't want to be left out of the fun but having breakfast and evening with everyone else might be enough for that day.

Not so worried now.

Hope she has a great cruise!  If she does decide to stay on ship, perhaps you, or another family member, could walk back to check on her.  Assuming you plan to stay on Labadee for the full day.  It’s not that far and people go back and forth all the time. After a few hours you will be comfortable in your area, know where the best shady spot is, etc.  You could easily go get her for an hour or so.  Just a thought so she wouldn’t miss “people watching.”

5 hours ago, Kiran said:

Not so worried now.

I climbed the Great Wall of China, while my wife sipped tea in the café watching.  She is disabled, and I am not. This happens every year, and it also included kids.  When traveling with multiple ability people, in groups, sometimes, certain members will just need to adapt, and do what they are happy doing.  She is afraid of walking in the sand.  Even if you get a lounge chair in the shade, you will have to deal with restrooms, and the food.  My wife stayed on ships many times, and enjoyed a relaxing day, by the pool, or balcony reading a book etc.  Don't fret about things, but rather go with the flow, and offer solutions. 

In 2013 we decided to splurge on a over the water Cabana because I could not being the son and my husband had some mobility issues.

In all my research on Cruisecritic, I see that Nellies Over the Water
Cabana # 9 seems to have the most consistent shade over the day at Labadee.
The ramp for #9 was perfect.

maybe check it this email address to see if they can accommodate you and rent a cabana for the family for the day it really was worth it even for the expense because we were able to nap inside there was water and we didn't have to walk far to get things because it came with an attendant. The loungers inside are cushioned and there's outside Loungers and it was very well shaded which is what I needed in particular. Cabana next to it seem shaded as well. If you order one through the cruise line you will be told that your cabin will be assigned when you arrive but if you have special needs through ADA you will be able to contact this email address and they can help you out  y assigning one of these this particular cabins like we did.

shorex@rccl.com

Here is the thread I used to research the cabanas. 

Edited by irisheileen

Your Mom might enjoy staying on board the ship. Last year, I stayed on the ship while the rest of our party took advantage of the beach. It was very quiet on board and I enjoyed having my choice of loungers while reading a book. Lunch was not crowded at peak times and one could sit in the WJ and not be hurried.