Ship Tour????

JC in CA

We are first time Regent cruisers and will be on the Mariner this fall.  We took a tour on the Grand Princess - just over 3 hours long- last spring and really enjoyed getting to see all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on.  Would love to do the same on the Mariner if it is offered.  We learned on Cruise Critic that it was important to sign up as soon as you got on board the Grand Princess in order to have a chance at a spot.  Any details on such a Mariner tour would be greatly appreciated!

-Jerie

We are on the Navigator so I can tell you how that works on the Navigator   They offer 3 tours - Galley, Bridge, and Back Stage.  For the Back Stage, you just show up.  For the Galley and Bridge, if you have a butler, just tell him/her you want to do a Galley and Bridge tour.  I have a feeling they will have as many tours as they have people sign up.  If you do not have a butler, you can just ask at Reception.

• Like 1

The Bridge Tour is more of a visit.  Less common than in the past for security reasons, but interesting.  The Radisson Diamond, one of RSSC's former ships, had an open bridge.  It was on the pool deck, and you could just wander in any time and chat with the staff, examine charts, etc.  It was great fun, great little ship.

The Galley Tours are terrific, and very informative.  We did one once that was enhanced to include a tour of the staff quarters--they have their own galleys (more than one I think), plus a lounge where they have parties, with a stage for bands.  I think that was Voyager.

• Like 1

The quality of a Bridge tour depends on the "investment" made by the Captain.  Guess same could be said for the Galley and the Chef. 

My wife has done a Galley tour on all Regent ships.  Enjoyable, she advised, because the Chefs were proud of the Staff and quality of the food.  They took the opportunity to show off a bit. Gilding the lily.  She is looking forward to a similar opportunity next-year on Splendor. 

We have also done the Bridge tours.  Due to safety and security, limited numbers, and prior sign-ups required, as noted in earlier Posts.  In one case--Mariner's Captain showed up to say, "hello", and then, basically faded into the background.  Not so on Explorer.  The Captain was anxious to show off the new ship with all the latest bells, whistles, toggles, and safety features.  Very-reassuring.  That tour took about an hour, as he answered all questions until there were no more to ask, and most of the attendees had already departed. 

Again, we look forward touring Splendor's Bridge. 

Second the earlier suggestion as to an "on your own" walking tour through all decks, common areas and hallways when cruising on a particular ship for the first time.  Regent ships are not that big that one has to devote a morning the effort.   

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  We will definitely walk the entire ship to get our bearings (as well as I will check out all the deck plans in advance!)  We are in concierge cabin- so no butler- but will inquire once we board.

Just heard today that our TA was able to get all of our 1st choice excursions!   

thanks again!

-Jerie

Bridge tours are only now allowed when the ship is in port.

As mention the quality of the Galley tour depend a lot on the Chef. Some will take you everywhere, that is, to all the ship kitchens, not just the MDR.

J

• Like 1

I have taken the Ship's Tour on Cunard's Queen Mary 2.  There is a charge for it, of course.  It's a thorough tour and takes all afternoon.   It's limited to 16 people per trip.  It's only done on sea days.  It includes the Bridge with lecture and Q&A, picture with the Captain, commemorative pin, the Engine Control Room (ECR), the area where the anchor lines are kept with lecture by the First Officer, the Medical Suite with lecture from the Ship's Doctor, interview with the Security Officer with fire fighting and rescue equipment lecture, the main Galley with Sous Chef lecture,  a short snack and drink in the Galley and interview with Head Chef, Bakery tour, tour of walk-in refrigerators, freezers and lecture by the Procurement Officer, tour of luggage sorting and stowage area, crew galley, crew pub, laundry, and main crew transit area in center of ship on the lowest deck. Tour ends at one of the lounges with snacks, drinks and sit down interview with the Hotel Director.  We were accompanied by a host and multiple security officers.  No photos were allowed below decks.  It's a small town below decks.

All of the kitchen tours we have taken on Regent occur when there is very little is going on.  This makes sense since we would be in the way if they were into a full blown mode of preparing food.  Generally we can see cooks in the background with soups or doing light "prep".  What would be really fun on a cruise ship is to have an area with a glass floor above the galley so passengers could stop by the watch throughout the day!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We were on Mariner about a year ago and had a bridge, galley and back stage tour.    They are all worth doing, but ask and sign up as soon as you get onboard.     I do hope Regent continue these  -  I only mention that as we were on Oceania Riviera recently and they said there were no bridge or galley tours as that was company policy.  Was our first time on Oceania, so cannot comment, but was surprised given it is Regents sister company.

• Like 1

I've never done a bridge tour (and would love to, geek that I am) but I've done several galley tours and they're fantastic.  Really gives you a better appreciation of what all goes into keeping us all well fed while we're with them.  Highly recommend.

The Galley Lunch that ronrick mentioned is also very cool - you pass through the galley and load your plate as you go.  I've done that one twice and loved it both times.

• Like 1

Thanks Zimmer!

We did the 3 1/2 hour tour on Princess - was great!  Especially enjoyed the galley and bridge portions.  I will make a note to check as soon as we get on board the Mariner.

thank you

-Jerie

On 2/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, ronrick1943 said:

the buffet thur the kitchen don't miss it-

RonRick - when / where did you find out about this and sign up for it?  Sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

-Jerie

1 hour ago, JC in CA said:

RonRick - when / where did you find out about this and sign up for it?  Sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

-Jerie

It will be posted the night before in your paper that is placed on your bed every night, no need to sign up for this.  You just go to lunch that day in the CR Dining room.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JC in CA said:

-Jerie

They did this when we were on Mariner's "Radiant Amazon" Nov/Dec 2017.    It's a fantastic spread.  Be warned tho, get in quick as the queue thru the galley was huge.   There are also food stations around the main dining room too, so you have other options if the queue is too long.    

• Like 1