Perfect Day in Coco Cay

benclan

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hard to tell just by looking at photos or even seeing it in person.  So much happens that you don’t see that takes the majority of time..footings pilingd etc.  The finishing parts can in a lot of cases be completed relatively quickly.  

Working on Island time, weather and supply issues....wishful thinking to get it finished on time (already past due). Not holding my breath to imagine it will be done when I return in June.  😉  When were you there last?   

Edited by island lady

On 2/10/2019 at 5:36 PM, lorimay said:

Did anyone notice there is no mention of the bungalows or beach beds on the official list of free vs. paid amenities?  Do you think they are getting rid of the bungalows and making them into cabanas?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I really hope to get a bungalow when we visit in April 2020. Only thing listed in my cruise planner now are the cabanas which are a bit more $$ than I want to spend. 

9 minutes ago, siempredescalzo said:

When is your sailing in November? It shows up in my cruise planner for Grandeur the week of Thanksgiving that stops in Coco Cay. 

I would also not that in the Cruise Planner there is a separate heading for "Perfect Day".  That's where the pig swim is showing up for me at least.

Not sure where the swimming pigs are 😉   But the island is still full of wild chickens....though the Iquanas are mysteriously missing.  Could be the interior construction has destroyed their habitat.  

Used to have Peacocks on the island, but have not seen them for years.  

I posted this on the private islands forum and got no response so I'll try it here.  We're going to be at Cococay in April and was wondering about Kayak rentals.  I see a kayak excursion listed in my cruise planner that would be ok but we really just want to rent a kayak and do our own thing.  Is that possible?

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I posted this on the private islands forum and got no response so I'll try it here.  We're going to be at Cococay in April and was wondering about Kayak rentals.  I see a kayak excursion listed in my cruise planner that would be ok but we really just want to rent a kayak and do our own thing.  Is that possible?

No, I believe the various propelled water excursions at Coco Cay are follow the leader.

21 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

All through shore excursions.  As in Labadee...RCI has a nice monopoly on toys, drinks, excursions, etc..  😉 

Edited by island lady

On 2/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, suesnake2002 said:

You got swimming pigs!!!

That is not showing up in my perfect day coco cay options in nov

Are you sure? I am November and its there. Its in a weird spot, for some reason you have to click see all on the list, once you're looking at activities on CoCo Cay, and then it appeared.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, island lady said:

We were just there last week.  Going again on Mariner in June. 

From what I saw, we will be lucky if the pier is done by then, no way the construction will be completed on the island in four months.

Anyone on an Oasis class ship will not be able to go there until pier is complete.  

I think you're right on all accounts. It does not look near to having even the footings and pilings put in. We flew by in the plane and the pilings are not in. My hubby is a developer who builds marinas and such on coral. It takes awhile.

We are on Harmony in May and it was originally scheduled there and then switched to Nassau. I was thinking they wanted their soft opening to be with smaller ships. But of course you're right, they do not want to tender Harmony.

Can anyone going with kids verify something for me, please? FYI, I have called RCCL and they could not give me an answer. I was even transferred to a manager. Seems a bit ridiculous that they didn't know. But, whatever. 

My kids will be 14 & (5 weeks shy of) 12 during the week we are looking at right now. I know they will want to do the waterpark. After several trips to Atlantis, my husband and I have zero desire to ride slides or spend a day at one. If we purchased full day passes for them, will we be required to purchase for an adult? 

So if you have a child under 12, can you try to book the park (full day) and see if you are forced to add an adult to the reservation? 

THANKS!

I work for the Port of Seattle in the Maritime Capital Construction program. From the pictures I have seen I think May is going to be a push. However, if they want to complete bad enough they can throw money at it and get it done. I will be there next month, so will be curious to get a better look up close.

38 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

We are on Harmony in May and it was originally scheduled there and then switched to Nassau. I was thinking they wanted their soft opening to be with smaller ships. But of course you're right, they do not want to tender Harmony.

What Harmony sailing are you on?  the RCCL website shows all May Harmony sailings going to Coco Cay.  You were notified that you are now going to Nassau instead?  How were you notified?

Thanks!

Brad

I was not notified.I never get anything from RCCL despite trying in my settings. I just saw it on my planner and when I thought about, remembered it as being CoCo Cay. I had booked it forever ago and never pay attention to cruises until they get closer. I asked in the  sailing group and it was confirmed that I remembered correctly. It seems some of them had received letters.

2 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

I was not notified.I never get anything from RCCL despite trying in my settings. I just saw it on my planner and when I thought about, remembered it as being CoCo Cay. I had booked it forever ago and never pay attention to cruises until they get closer. I asked in the  sailing group and it was confirmed that I remembered correctly. It seems some of them had received letters.

Very interesting.  Thanks for the info!  We are on the Symphony scheduled for Coco Cay and have not heard anything either, although my planner still says Coco Cay..

Which sailing are you on?

Thanks!

Brad

Its interesting bc their letter stated because of construction but Navigator is going there the day before, thats what brought it to my attention. I had just assumed it was changed bc it was not going to be ready. As I said , the dock pilings certainly did not look ready when we flew by a few times. 

7 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Its interesting bc their letter stated because of construction but Navigator is going there the day before, thats what brought it to my attention.

Navigator is an older/smaller ship.  IIRC, someone said the Oasis class ships (Harmony is one) don't/can't tender, Navigator can.

Once again...all Oasis class ships cannot tender.  If the pier is not complete...Symphony, Harmony, Allure, Oasis will not be going there.

Navigator is a Voyager class.  Can and will tender to the Island, as even larger Freedom class ships are able to also.  Have been to Coco Cay many times on Freedom.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Once again...all Oasis class ships cannot tender.  If the pier is not complete...Symphony, Harmony, Allure, Oasis will not be going there.

Navigator is a Voyager class.  Can and will tender to the Island, as even larger Freedom class ships are able to also.  Have been to Coco Cay many times on Freedom.  

For what it's worth at some point in the completion phase the Tender docks will go away since the bridge that appears in artist conceptions has to be built. 

Folks should be aware that weather will be a factor as to whether docking is safe. There will be cancellations after the new pier is completed.

6 minutes ago, Scotty G said:

For what it's worth at some point in the completion phase the Tender docks will go away since the bridge that appears in artist conceptions has to be built. 

Folks should be aware that weather will be a factor as to whether docking is safe. There will be cancellations after the new pier is completed.

Was just there last week.  They are welding the supports on each side of the of where the bridge will be that will go over the water (where the tenders usually come in through).  No seawall in yet and no bridge parts sitting off to the side ready to go either.  It is far from completion, and they still working on digging out the sides with heavy equipment.  

Totally agree...as the same thing happens at Labadee.  If the winds are too high, they won't dock.  Was at Labadee one year when the winds came up quickly and snapped a forward line.  They had to stop pax from coming and going on the pier until they could replace it.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1