Left Behind in Nassau on the Symphony of the Seas!

This is another post where CC posters feel the need to "school" people.  Why can't it be said "gee thats a shame, it would be terrible" instead of making fun of their clothes, saying how "special" they think they are and how rules don't apply to them....jeez  lighten up people!!!   These kind of replies make reading cruise critic not fun!!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

This is another post where CC posters feel the need to "school" people.  Why can't it be said "gee thats a shame, it would be terrible" instead of making fun of their clothes, saying how "special" they think they are and how rules don't apply to them....jeez  lighten up people!!!   These kind of replies make reading cruise critic not fun!!

Gee then don't read! the rest of us follow the rules and sorry do not feel bad for those that don't! They were told when to be back on that ship ,they kept everyone waiting!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

Because it’s a sad cliche we’ve all seen before in the form of people who don’t follow rules and thereby negatively impact others, complaining all the while that it’s not fair.  You are responsible for certain conduct and adherence to the schedule is just one point of many.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Maybe they had their passports with them.  I have seen where ships officers hand over passports to late arriving people that they have collected prior to leaving. 

Additionally, they will be charged the Jones Act fee when they return to Miami as well.

?

9 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

It only took 27 posts!!

• Haha 1

They actually took this pretty well. I once had to fly back from a port unexpectedly (not for this reason) and was not charged with the Jones Act violation fee. Sailed from a US port to a near foreign port, and returned by air. I'm not sure that's a violation? It would be if you sailed to a different US port. 

7 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Gee then don't read! the rest of us follow the rules and sorry do not feel bad for those that don't! They were told when to be back on that ship ,they kept everyone waiting!

Nice reply, "don't read"   Does it make you feel better to post something mean to someone?  

4 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

They actually took this pretty well. I once had to fly back from a port unexpectedly (not for this reason) and was not charged with the Jones Act violation fee. Sailed from a US port to a near foreign port, and returned by air. I'm not sure that's a violation? It would be if you sailed to a different US port. 

PVSA actually.  It was a closed loop cruise until the loop is broken.  CBP has the ability to waive at their discretion.

Edited by twangster

21 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Additionally, they will be charged the Jones Act fee when they return to Miami as well.

Not likely they were carrying cargo so no violation of Jones Act.  And they won't get a fine under the PVSA because they did not get off in a different US port from where they embarked.  PVSA was written to prevent foreign carriers from taking people from one US port to another.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

Nice reply, "don't read"   Does it make you feel better to post something mean to someone?  

Kim, do you feel sorry for people who commit a crime and then have to face unpleasant circumstances?  Many actions have consequences from mild to severe and failure to adhere to the passenger contract has consequences.  Such items are communicated to others partly as a warning. But yes, many of us who choose different behavior may shake our heads and perhaps feel that our own responsible behavior is its own reward.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, twangster said:

PVSA actually.  It was a closed loop cruise until the loop is broken.  CBP has the ability to waive it when they feel it is warranted.

Thanks. I guess I fell through the cracks or RC was kind enough to not pass the charge on to me if they were charged for not having me on the ship when they returned. I did have my passport stamped arrived by sea when I had to stay behind, and then went through customs like any other air traveler when I left. 

9 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

You did post a mean response by saying "don't read"....but my point is apparently lost on you.

No I said "Gee" (to quote your word) that some how makes it better right ? My comment was not mean! It was factual.I stand by it! Get your fanny back to the ship on time!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, nelblu said:

?

Not sure what your question is for.

I will try to clarify both points. 

I have seen late arriving passengers handed their passports before getting on the ship.  Security had gone into their cabins and taken them out of the safe and taken them to the gangplank to hand over to the port agent but the passenger arrived in time and received their passports back..

Here is the verbage for the Jones Act regarding leaving a cruise ship early:

“Does U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) fine cruise ships that allow passengers to disembark before the end of the cruise’s itinerary?

“The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. 55103 (19 CFR 4.80a), is one of the several coastwise laws enforced by CBP which prohibits the transportation of passengers between points in the U.S. in any vessel other than a vessel that has a coastwise endorsement, i.e a vessel that is built in and owned by persons who are citizens of the United States.

“The penalty for violating the PVSA is $300 per passenger carried and is assessed against the carrier/cruise line. For example, an Argentinean-flagged cruise ship picks up passengers in Miami then sails to various ports of call, including Bermuda, Charleston, South Carolina, and Annapolis, Maryland before returning to Miami. While passengers may leave the vessel to see the U.S. ports, they must return to the vessel before the cruise itinerary ends, i.e. before the vessel returns to Miami, in order for the carrier to avoid a PVSA violation. If passengers were to disembark, i.e. finally and permanently leave the vessel in Bermuda, the vessel would not incur a PVSA penalty because Bermuda is not a U.S. point.”

So it seems they will not be charged since it was not a us port.

Edited by irishgal432

1 hour ago, Chesneygirl said:

This just happened on Friday February 15th. We were docked next to the Symphony while in Nassau…the ship did wait but in the end the couple was just tooo late getting back. 

We were on this sailing and when we were at dinner with friends, it was an interesting part of the discussion.  There was a little delay in the ship leaving (15 minutes or so) due to something at the port, but had it actually left on time there would have been even more people left behind.   We are always back on ship two hours  before sail away time.  We just don't enjoy the rush back. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

PVSA actually.  It was a closed loop cruise until the loop is broken.  CBP has the ability to waive at their discretion.

Nothing about breaking a closed loop involves the PVSA unless the loop is broken at another US port (for instance, embarking in Baltimore and leaving the ship at Port Canaveral).

11 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Not sure what your question is for.

I will try to clarify both points. 

I have seen late arriving passengers handed their passports before getting on the ship.  Security had gone into their cabins and taken them out of the safe and taken them to the gangplank to hand over to the port agent but the passenger arrived in time and received their passports back..

Here is the verbage for the Jones Act regarding leaving a cruise ship early:

“Does U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) fine cruise ships that allow passengers to disembark before the end of the cruise’s itinerary?

“The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. 55103 (19 CFR 4.80a), is one of the several coastwise laws enforced by CBP which prohibits the transportation of passengers between points in the U.S. in any vessel other than a vessel that has a coastwise endorsement, i.e a vessel that is built in and owned by persons who are citizens of the United States.

“The penalty for violating the PVSA is $300 per passenger carried and is assessed against the carrier/cruise line. For example, an Argentinean-flagged cruise ship picks up passengers in Miami then sails to various ports of call, including Bermuda, Charleston, South Carolina, and Annapolis, Maryland before returning to Miami. While passengers may leave the vessel to see the U.S. ports, they must return to the vessel before the cruise itinerary ends, i.e. before the vessel returns to Miami, in order for the carrier to avoid a PVSA violation. If passengers were to disembark, i.e. finally and permanently leave the vessel in Bermuda, the vessel would not incur a PVSA penalty because Bermuda is not a U.S. point.”

So it seems they will not be charged since it was not a us port.

Thanks for the clarification as I did not think that any fine(s) was warranted.  Just wondering if the Jones Act has any value vis--a-vis the cruise industry.  Love to see itineraries up & down the East Coast without having to stop in Bermuda or Nassau.

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Thanks for the clarification as I did not think that any fine(s) was warranted.  Just wondering if the Jones Act has any value vis--a-vis the cruise industry.  Love to see itineraries up & down the East Coast without having to stop in Bermuda or Nassau.

I assume you mean PVSA since Jones Act does not apply to the cruise industry. 

If it looked like having a US flagged cruise ship doing East Coast itineraries would be profitable, I suspect companies would be doing that.  As it is, I believe the only US flagged cruise ship is still the NCL's Pride of America doing Hawaiian island cruises.