Kids Club strict on ages?

elmojessi

On 2/22/2019 at 7:30 PM, coevan said:

do you guys really think Carnival is going to ask a 6 year old for ID? I'm pretty sure their age is not on their S&S card, if they even have one, probably not. 

They need a birth certificate to get on the ship.  Exact date of birth is in the reservation.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

They need a birth certificate to get on the ship.  Exact date of birth is in the reservation.  

This. The computer system they use to check your kid in has their age down to the month. So if your child is a week shy of their 2nd birthday they will not get in. 

we were able to get our almost 15 year old in the older club. we had to sign a waiver and was told that is misbehaved she would have to go to the lower age group. our 15 year old was an entering ninth grader so we thought she could handle it and not hang with middle schoolers. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, coevan said:

and the club would know this how?  I doubt if they are so strict. The kids are friends. You think they should separate friends?  Elmojessie, don't worry, have a great time. The kids will get to play together. 

At the beginning of the cruise, the kids clubs already have a printout of every child on board for that cruise with all their information.   When you register, you provide all the information again, and they check it off with their spreadsheet.   

They have the kids separated for a reason and for staffing purposes.   If they find they can move them appropriately they may--its not a guarantee and depends on how many kids are on board in each age group.  

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!  I don’t think I have strong feelings either way, I was just curious more than anything and so all of the parents can go into the cruise with a good understanding of what to expect.  One of the moms I could see getting upset if she didn’t know that they may be strict on the ages, so better to prepare her in advance. 😂

• Like 1

We had a 5 year old that was allowed to go with a 6 year old into their area.  This was 2 weeks ago.  The Camp Ocean folks said they would allow it on a trial basis, and if the 5 year old did fine, then they could continue.  They do make exceptions if you ask, but it seems to be up to their discretion.   

• 10 months later...

Looks like most people have tried to bump kid up a level we are hoping to bump kid down a level.  Anyone had more luck with this?  We are two, only child families and headed out on the Dream the beginning of February.  Have one girl who just turned 12 this week another who was 10 in September.  Hoping to bump the 12 year old down to Camp Ocean.  We thought that was a better option then trying to bump the 10 year old up.  It's just us and they are maybe more excited about the cruise than the adults 🙂   If they are separated can see them not wanting to go at all. 

24 minutes ago, WesternKansasCruiser said:

Looks like most people have tried to bump kid up a level we are hoping to bump kid down a level.  Anyone had more luck with this?  We are two, only child families and headed out on the Dream the beginning of February.  Have one girl who just turned 12 this week another who was 10 in September.  Hoping to bump the 12 year old down to Camp Ocean.  We thought that was a better option then trying to bump the 10 year old up.  It's just us and they are maybe more excited about the cruise than the adults 🙂   If they are separated can see them not wanting to go at all. 

Sorry, but from what I understand, they are extremely strict on moving down.  

But, there will still be plenty of activities they can do together.  The 10 year old can have sign out privileges from camp ocean, and circle c kids can always come and go.  If they each have a cell phone, they can decide to do things together, or in their respective clubs, depending on the activities going on.  

Even if they never use the clubs, they will still have a blast.  There’s always plenty to do!

I have noticed more leniency when cruises are "off season" for kids. In kid January, when everyone was in school and there were 13 kids in Circle C, 10 of which were our group, they allowed a bump up for the kid who was one year younger. Had it been Spring Break or Summer, my guess is the answer would have been no.

When my LOs were 5, 6 and 8 and they had no issue letting the 5 year old join his siblings. It was a cruise during the school year so not a ton of kids. My next trip (december) they will be 11, 9 and 7. I hope they pet the 7 year old go with his sibling again but I understand if not.

13 hours ago, WesternKansasCruiser said:

I have a similar issue...we are taking my daughter's BFF on the cruise at spring break. My daughter is 12 and her BFF turns 12 in April. I had assumed they would be in the same age group (we usually sail Princess and they start the "teen" club at 13). Now I see that DD will be in Circle C and her BFF will be in the regular camp. There is no way they will go to kids club if they are not together, but I am doubtful we will be able to switch groups given that it's spring break. Ugh.

19 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I have a similar issue...we are taking my daughter's BFF on the cruise at spring break. My daughter is 12 and her BFF turns 12 in April. I had assumed they would be in the same age group (we usually sail Princess and they start the "teen" club at 13). Now I see that DD will be in Circle C and her BFF will be in the regular camp. There is no way they will go to kids club if they are not together, but I am doubtful we will be able to switch groups given that it's spring break. Ugh.

I would ask the crew. On our recent Christmas cruise (i.e. kids on winter break), my friend's son turned 12 on the last day of the cruise (debarkation day) and he's pretty mature for his age. He did Camp Ocean the first time they cruised when he was 10, and he didn't like it very much. So on this cruise, she took him to the Circle C open house/check in period, introduced her son to the staff, explained the situation, and they let him in! He ended up having SUCH a blast. So it really does depend on the staff, but unfortunately you won't know for sure until you're on board. Perhaps you might push a little harder to explain that the kids want to be together, and that BFF's birthday is super close anyway-- those might provide more compelling reasons that might sway them 🙂 Best of luck! 

7 minutes ago, heckledtrio said:

I would ask the crew. On our recent Christmas cruise (i.e. kids on winter break), my friend's son turned 12 on the last day of the cruise (debarkation day) and he's pretty mature for his age. He did Camp Ocean the first time they cruised when he was 10, and he didn't like it very much. So on this cruise, she took him to the Circle C open house/check in period, introduced her son to the staff, explained the situation, and they let him in! He ended up having SUCH a blast. So it really does depend on the staff, but unfortunately you won't know for sure until you're on board. Perhaps you might push a little harder to explain that the kids want to be together, and that BFF's birthday is super close anyway-- those might provide more compelling reasons that might sway them 🙂 Best of luck! 

Yes - I will definitely ask! It's my fault for not researching correctly and just assuming....it would be nice for them to be together, though. At the end of the day, I'm sure they will find plenty to do on the ship even if they don't do the camp!

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes - I will definitely ask! It's my fault for not researching correctly and just assuming....it would be nice for them to be together, though. At the end of the day, I'm sure they will find plenty to do on the ship even if they don't do the camp!

The other thing to note is that Circle C and Club O2 both allow the kids a lot of freedom to roam and do their own thing together, so if worse comes to worst and they're in separate clubs, your daughter can just have BFF join her on such outings. 

Side story: the very first time we ever cruised in 2016, my son was 12, in Circle C, and LOVED it. There were nights when he came back to the cabin LATER than us because he was having so much fun with his new friends. This past Christmas cruise, when my friend's son did Circle C for the first time, the exact same thing happened to him! Spent more time with his new friends than with us, and stayed out so late to the point that his mom had to enforce a curfew the night before our port excursion 😉 I'm sure your daughter and her friend will have a blast regardless of what happens with club assignments! 

When we were on the Magic in July they let my 6 year old grand daughter move down with her younger sister (2 year old). They wouldn't let the younger child move up but they would let the older child move down. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, coevan said:

do you guys really think Carnival is going to ask a 6 year old for ID? I'm pretty sure their age is not on their S&S card, if they even have one, probably not. 

When they swipe the S&S card, their age will be in the kid's profile.  I'm pretty sure it's something they would look at every time.