Cheap cruises

TheTruth79

Good morning, 

I have cruised several times on NCL.  I have a friend who would like to go on a short 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas just to see if she would like cruising. We live in Georgia so would like to leave from a Florida or South Carolina port.  I used to see really cheap cruises, $99 pp or so, but I can't seem to find any now. We are not picky about when we cruise either. Does anyone know if these cheap cruises exist anymore? Not picky about cruise line. 

TIA

Amy

Unfortunately, those cheap cruises are long gone.  The best you can do is go to the websites of all of the cruise lines and sign up for their email specials.  Also, if you are a gambler, I have heard of really cheap cruises through the players clubs.  EM

“Cheap” is a relative term. Sure there are cheap cruises - but with the passage of time, and inflation, the number of dollars in “cheap” gets ever larger. Shortly after 9/11, when everyone was afraid to travel, cruises were deeply discounted.  “Cheap” nowadays means about $100 per person per day. Check out NCL three or four day sailings out of Miami;  or to save on pre-cruise travel costs, look at Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston.

Just remember, you will not get more than you are willing to pay for -  

15 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I've been trying to find a cheap weekend cruise for my DD and I.  The cheapest I can find, after adding in taxes, port fees and gratuities, is about $340 pp, which imo is not a good value.  Cruising just isn't cheap anymore.

Define “cheap”.   You are talking about three nights’ lodging,  several days’ meals, a variety of entertainment, and transportation to some island(s) you may never have seen. What interesting weekend alternatives can you describe which would give you as much for any less cost?

Anyone, with a working memory, who shops for a car, looks at rental apartments, houses for sale, even buys postage stamps, must have the same complaint:  nothing is “cheap” anymore.  Why should cruising be different from everything else?

28 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I've been trying to find a cheap weekend cruise for my DD and I.  The cheapest I can find, after adding in taxes, port fees and gratuities, is about $340 pp, which imo is not a good value.  Cruising just isn't cheap anymore.

I guess its all relative but if by weekend cruise you mean a 3-night cruise, $113 and change per night for stateroom accommodations, meals, entertainment, and perhaps a port of call or two is not a bad deal IMO.  Where else could you go at a resort or otherwise for that?  You could barely go out to a nice dinner and a show for that at home.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

21 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

"Cheap" in my case refers to inexpensive. For that amount of money, I'll go to Vegas.

Didn't realize you could do 3 nights in Vegas with hotel, meals, and entertainment for less than $340 pp.  But that v a cruise is not really apples to apples.  Enjoy.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

"Cheap" in my case refers to inexpensive. For that amount of money, I'll go to Vegas.

Which could be “cheaper” than a cruise - but you want to figure in getting there (or to a cruise port) from where you live for a dollar-for-dollar comparison.

Of course, if for your weekend “cheap” is the ABSOLUTE GOVERNING factor, you could stay at home, go out to a movie, check out a local museum, visit a nearby mall, maybe make popcorn and watch TV.

You may not always get all of what you pay for - but you surely will not get more than you are willing to pay for.

No cheap cruise and no more $0.99 shrimp cocktail or $5.99 buffet on LV strip either.

Edited by sfaaa

Ballparks

- Going out to dinner 4 nights with 2 people, $150-$200. Let alone lunch and breakfast.

- Going to a show on the weekend, $50

- Flight to the Bahamas, or Carribean, $500

- Hotel for 4 nights. $500

And there's so much more too. It's one convenient package that is definitely not expensive.

I like Vegas too, but the hotel for 4 nights is going to exceed that $780 unless you stay off the strip. 

If you are from “So Cal”, you can Greyhound to Vegas (round trip) for about $40 —- but why is New England/Canada your favorite cruise destination?  Can’t be cheap getting there - and because of the short cruise season the cruise fares are pretty high.

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

FTR we have hotel reservations for Orlando in the Fall.  $300 per night.  No meals or entertainment included.  $340 for a weekend. Raise is very reasonable 

6 minutes ago, spookwife said:

FTR we have hotel reservations for Orlando in the Fall.  $300 per night.  No meals or entertainment included.  $340 for a weekend. Raise is very reasonable 

That would be $150 pp and $170 pp as a better comparison. Still more expensive, though.  

7 hours ago, TheTruth79 said:

Good morning, 

I have cruised several times on NCL.  I have a friend who would like to go on a short 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas just to see if she would like cruising. We live in Georgia so would like to leave from a Florida or South Carolina port.  I used to see really cheap cruises, $99 pp or so, but I can't seem to find any now. We are not picky about when we cruise either. Does anyone know if these cheap cruises exist anymore? Not picky about cruise line. 

TIA

Amy

Hi

I see 4 day (Carnival) Bahamas (Nassau & Freeport) cruises in Dec. leaving from Port Canaveral for $300p/p that includes port fees and taxes. For a little more you could sail earlier in the fall. It would be a little less if there were more than two in the cabin. Of course this is for an interior cabin. For the same price in Nov. there are 4 day cruises leaving from Miami that go to Key West and Cozumel. 

Sometimes these prices will go down a bit if cabins are not selling well. Last year I saw those same Key West/Cozumel itineraries for around $250 p/p, but definitely those really cheap getaways are a thing of the past. Also, if you are looking for the cheapest base price, yo have to look at Carnival.

hope this helps

18 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

https://www.bahamasparadisecruise.com/

two nite cruise to freeport from west palm beach ... as low as $109 pp

Yes, but there is an additional $90 port fees/taxes. For a hundred dollars more, I would stick to the Carnival ships. It would be closer to a real cruise. The idea is to see if someone likes cruising.

This whole thread is depressing.  We have seen many cruise lines cutting amenities, reducing entertainment, eliminating much of the live music, downgrading MDR food quality, reducing staff, etc. —- all to reduce costs so as to be able to hold down fares to attract budget-minded passengers.  And now, when the quality of the experience has been gutted, we hear that cruising isn’t cheap enough.

Somehow, I do not empathize with OP.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

This whole thread is depressing.  We have seen many cruise lines cutting amenities, reducing entertainment, eliminating much of the live music, downgrading MDR food quality, reducing staff, etc. —- all to reduce costs so as to be able to hold down fares to attract budget-minded passengers.  And now, when the quality of the experience has been gutted, we hear that cruising isn’t cheap enough.

Somehow, I do not empathize with OP.

Oh, I'm not looking for sympathy, just an answer to my original question.  I had no idea I would find so much criticism from people! (I guess that's the internet for ya!) 

I was merely looking to see if the idea of "cheap" cruises were still a thing. My friend has never cruised and was just hoping to take a short trip so see how she would handle sea sickness and all.

43 minutes ago, TheTruth79 said:

I was merely looking to see if the idea of "cheap" cruises were still a thing. My friend has never cruised and was just hoping to take a short trip so see how she would handle sea sickness and all.

“Cheap” is a relative term. I recall when a cheap movie ticket cost about $2.50. Now you are lucky to see a movie for much under $10.  If you wait too long, the three day cruise that now costs maybe $300 per will go for $500. That $300 cruise is cheap.