UbyUniworld-not sure what to say

acwmom

6 minutes ago, papa B me said:

By my previous post you can probably tell that this doesn't appeal to me.  However, I'm probably not as pessimistic about the new leadership.  As a business person I truly respect them trying to innovate and do something different to complete in this crowded space.  I certainly think they feel the competition with Crystal, Tauck and Scenic all competing for the "luxury" space so it's commendable to take these older ships and try to create an expanded revenue stream.  Time will tell whether it will work or not but again, I respect their trying.  It's also nice to see them creating more SS ships and putting new ships on the Nile and Douro next year.  But bottom line is as a consumer I'm thrilled to see so many options out there if Uniworld fails to perform as they have in the past.  Just one man's opinion.

I don't mind their attempts to expand their revenue stream, but I think they would be more successful by not being so extreme.  They could have created a family friendly line, more like Croisi. They chose to go after a demographic, initially, who (and I'm generalizing) at the lower age range is swimming in debt. Like Coral said, young adults would rather travel by other means. Sadly, this really is a cool itinerary, and it's a shame it's only offered 3 times, with 2 of those being themed.

My bigger issues with the new leadership are the decreases in past guest benefits. No more upgrade if available, past passenger discounts went from a flat rate, to a %, and are now back down to a flat rate. Booking onboard discounts have gone from 5% to 3%. Fewer really nice discounts for past guests. Other changes, not related to RHC, port fees were included for a couple of years, and have been separated out again, they have changed how TA can discount. More focus on marketing to travel agencies, less direct interaction with guests. Pricing manipulation to make people think they are getting a good deal.....look at the "free air" cruises, and compare them to other dates of the same itinerary without free air.

Robin

12 minutes ago, acwmom said:

My bigger issues with the new leadership are the decreases in past guest benefits. No more upgrade if available, past passenger discounts went from a flat rate, to a %, and are now back down to a flat rate. Booking onboard discounts have gone from 5% to 3%. Fewer really nice discounts for past guests. 

Robin

Uniworld lost me with these changes as well.

24 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I don't mind their attempts to expand their revenue stream, but I think they would be more successful by not being so extreme.  They could have created a family friendly line, more like Croisi. They chose to go after a demographic, initially, who (and I'm generalizing) at the lower age range is swimming in debt. Like Coral said, young adults would rather travel by other means. Sadly, this really is a cool itinerary, and it's a shame it's only offered 3 times, with 2 of those being themed.

My bigger issues with the new leadership are the decreases in past guest benefits. No more upgrade if available, past passenger discounts went from a flat rate, to a %, and are now back down to a flat rate. Booking onboard discounts have gone from 5% to 3%. Fewer really nice discounts for past guests. Other changes, not related to RHC, port fees were included for a couple of years, and have been separated out again, they have changed how TA can discount. More focus on marketing to travel agencies, less direct interaction with guests. Pricing manipulation to make people think they are getting a good deal.....look at the "free air" cruises, and compare them to other dates of the same itinerary without free air.

Robin

Robin,

We are in agreement with the "bigger" issue.  Their loyalty discounts of the past made it difficult to consider a different line such as Crystal or Tauck.  So I will definitely look at them as well when looking at 2020.  To be fair, over the past couple of years I've followed a number of cruise companies on Cruise Critic in the "luxury" classification for Ocean Cruises and it seems that many of them are pairing back loyalty discounts and perks.  My best guess is that with the expansion of the other lines into the "luxury" space these CEO's feel their not getting the bang for their buck that they once were when there were fewer choices.  I also think that due to the fact that there is more of an emphasis to travel agents(especially internet based) they assume that travelers are getting some perks from them(I know I have).  I also agree with your view of the price manipulation but it seems that is the norm with most lines now.  I've never found their air deals to be worth it.

I think those of us who are travel "researchers" will continue to be disappointed with changes made because we are fully aware of them.  I'm shocked how few people who cruise river or ocean ever take the time to go on cruise critic, trip advisor, facebook, etc...So the companies can continue to make changes to their products, loyalty programs, etc... in attempt to create a stronger bottom line and have a very small minority upset since most people never take the time to research themselves.  Time will tell if the move away from "loyalty" based marketing to "new cruiser" based marketing is sustainable.  Until then, my loyalty will be to the best product for the money and not to a specific company.

Sorry if I got two deep in the woods on this.  I love analyzing all of this from both a consumer and a business perspective.

Brian

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

Other than price being charged, I’m not sure can you get any more down-market than what they are already offering. 

I was thinking of the European cruise lines that don't market to North Americans.  I don't actually know much about them [except what notamermaid has told us], but it seems that they tend to buy up the older boats from what we consider 'mainstream' river cruise lines.

4 hours ago, papa B me said:

By my previous post you can probably tell that this doesn't appeal to me.  However, I'm probably not as pessimistic about the new leadership.  As a business person I truly respect them trying to innovate and do something different to complete in this crowded space.  I certainly think they feel the competition with Crystal, Tauck and Scenic all competing for the "luxury" space so it's commendable to take these older ships and try to create an expanded revenue stream.  Time will tell whether it will work or not but again, I respect their trying.  It's also nice to see them creating more SS ships and putting new ships on the Nile and Douro next year.  But bottom line is as a consumer I'm thrilled to see so many options out there if Uniworld fails to perform as they have in the past.  Just one man's opinion.

I agree with your analysis.  There's also the general dynamic that established cruise lines are worried that their customer base keeps aging.  So the attempt to create an 'entry-level' line aimed at younger people, who would then grow up into loyal Uniworld customers – was a good one.  The implementation needed more work, and that's where I feel they have gone wrong – instead of tweaking the offering to appeal to a wider group, they have doubled down on the narrow-niche approach.  Also, as an entry-level line designed to feed customers to the parent group, the name 'U by Uniworld' made sense [good association].  But now I wonder how the drag queens are going to enhance the image of the luxury boutique offerings...

4 hours ago, acwmom said:

Robin

Uniworld is not the only line that is changing its past guest benefits and not for the better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was thinking of the European cruise lines that don't market to North Americans.  I don't actually know much about them [except what notamermaid has told us], but it seems that they tend to buy up the older boats from what we consider 'mainstream' river cruise lines.

Hostjazzbeau, there are indeed a few exes around. If Avalon was a man he would have to be careful that he does not encounter an ex on the river 😉. I myself sailed on an ex, the MS Belvedere of Transocean is the ex-Avalon Poetry. There are more ships renamed and passed on to other companies sailing European rivers. But a couple of ships have also been shifted around among the English-speaking world.

The Viking Spirit is now the Seine Comtess sailing for nickocruises.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
autocorrect got in the way

13 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Uniworld is not the only line that is changing its past guest benefits and not for the better.

Don't tell me that right before my Viking Ocean cruise! I'm hopeful they will still have some decent on-board booking benefits when I cruse next month.

Robin

Just now, acwmom said:

Don't tell me that right before my Viking Ocean cruise! I'm hopeful they will still have some decent on-board booking benefits when I cruse next month.

Robin

They took away my Travel Agent's ability to give me a 15% rebate!  Thankfully I got in under the wire, but it means that when I look at future VO cruises they cost at least 15% more.  [PS, I don't have any future VO cruises booked...]

55 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They took away my Travel Agent's ability to give me a 15% rebate!  Thankfully I got in under the wire, but it means that when I look at future VO cruises they cost at least 15% more.  [PS, I don't have any future VO cruises booked...]

WOW!! I would love to find a TA that could rebate that much.  

2 hours ago, I like vacation said:

WOW!! I would love to find a TA that could rebate that much.  

That was a record, but 8-10% is normal.  That's why I don't understand the posts about not wanting to use a TA...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was a record, but 8-10% is normal.  That's why I don't understand the posts about not wanting to use a TA...

Is the "rebate" OBC or a price reduction?  I have a 19 day cruise scheduled for next year that I have received almost 10% back in OBC from the TA.

Here's Cruise Critic's article about these changes:

U By Uniworld Changes Its Name, Reveals New Tattoo- and Drag-Themed River Cruises

So Uniworld did realize that it wasn't a good idea to link the new format to their old name, although they are trying to put a positive spin on it: "'U is a very different experience from Uniworld, and we wanted the name to reflect that difference,' Uniworld's CEO Ellen Bettridge said in a statement."  And as any CEO would say, "We're excited about the evolution of this incredible brand."

But the last line of the article notes that the new, 'exciting' line is down to one ship [The A], as The B "has temporarily ceased operations."

My take is that U [formerly 'by Uniworld'] is floundering, and only the shallow depth of European rivers is keeping it from sinking altogether...

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We received a 12% TA discount on our Avalon cruise, and it was deducted from the invoice.  We don't usually use TAs as we prefer to make our own plans, but the discount made using our TA a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, KathyK13 said:

We received a 12% TA discount on our Avalon cruise, and it was deducted from the invoice.  We don't usually use TAs as we prefer to make our own plans, but the discount made using our TA a no-brainer.

This is why I "always use a TA".

5 hours ago, Coral said:

I get a check after my sailing. Works for me. An OBC is not that helpful to me.

I found a TA who mails the check with the documents. But wouldn’t mind also lol. In River Cruises OBC is not useful because almost everything is included. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

I found a TA who mails the check with the documents. But wouldn’t mind also lol. In River Cruises OBC is not useful because almost everything is included. 

This last time she did mail it with the documents. Previously, it was after. It doesn't matter to me. I don't know if it is a fluke or if river cruises pay commission before the sailing. On sailings like Princess - she can take it off the cost of the cruise up front. Maybe each line is different.

Yes - I had $200 OBC by booking with an AMEX agent. I couldn't spend it. It went towards extra tips (even though tips were included). 

Edited by Coral