Just off Mariner-happy to answer questions!

Momto5

I disembarked Mariner this morning. Here’s a quick overview:

The Good 

Specialty dining at Jaime’s and Chops was great. They have good dining deals the day you get on.

We had a balcony with a connecting interior on Deck 9. Everything was in good shape in both cabins

My kids didn’t participate in a lot of Teen club activities, but were able to do SkyPad and FlowRider during protected teen club time. 

Entertainer in the British Pub is amazing!! I think he enjoyed the energy of the college kids on board. Ice show was great as well. The Quest was extra funny with the large college group (more on them later)

Embarkation and debarkation (plus parking) a breeze at Miami’s new Terminal A. We lined up for self walk off at 6:15 and we’re driving out at 7:15, 20 mins after we got off the ship 

Less Good:

Windjammer food was repetitive. Main dining room 2/4 nights was underwhelming. Apps and desserts good but mains meh.

Missing Cococay was a bummer. But we were well compensated with refundable OBC. Paid for our tips, internet and specialty dining.

Good or Bad

This cruise was a partial charter for Spring Break Party Cruise. Over 1000 college spring breakers on board. They were noisy, they were drinking and having fun. I personally thought they brought great energy to the ship. They were respectful and I spoke to several who were surprised to know the other passengers had no clue they would be cruising with this group. They crowded the pool bar, but would often defer to me when it was their turn first. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, but others will feel differently and Royal should at least warn people so they can decide whether they want themselves or their children to be exposed to a large group of college kids. 

Happy to to answer any questions!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrljel said:

Oh NO!  So is next weekend Spring Break also??? I sure hope not!

No just this cruise was I believe. You may have college spring breakers but not over 1000.. 😬

1 minute ago, Momto5 said:

No just this cruise was I believe. You may have college spring breakers but not over 1000.. 😬

We had a ton on our Indy cruise March 4th but we also brought 2 of them (my son and his GF) - but college spring breaks are most any weeks in March and then lower school levels can be most of April so you run a good chance of spring breakers during March/April.

I will say all of ours on Indy were very polite and respectful too, we had no issues!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kmad0202 said:

What time did you board the Mariner? Due to flights, we will be at the port pretty early and just curious as to what time they will actually start boarding. Thanks.

We arrived to the terminal at 1030, were on the ship before 11. It’s easy if you have online check in done 

5 hours ago, Momto5 said:

I disembarked Mariner this morning. Here’s a quick overview:

The Good 

Specialty dining at Jaime’s and Chops was great. They have good dining deals the day you get on.

We had a balcony with a connecting interior on Deck 9. Everything was in good shape in both cabins

My kids didn’t participate in a lot of Teen club activities, but were able to do SkyPad and FlowRider during protected teen club time. 

Entertainer in the British Pub is amazing!! I think he enjoyed the energy of the college kids on board. Ice show was great as well. The Quest was extra funny with the large college group (more on them later)

Embarkation and debarkation (plus parking) a breeze at Miami’s new Terminal A. We lined up for self walk off at 6:15 and we’re driving out at 7:15, 20 mins after we got off the ship 

Less Good:

Windjammer food was repetitive. Main dining room 2/4 nights was underwhelming. Apps and desserts good but mains meh.

Missing Cococay was a bummer. But we were well compensated with refundable OBC. Paid for our tips, internet and specialty dining.

Good or Bad

This cruise was a partial charter for Spring Break Party Cruise. Over 1000 college spring breakers on board. They were noisy, they were drinking and having fun. I personally thought they brought great energy to the ship. They were respectful and I spoke to several who were surprised to know the other passengers had no clue they would be cruising with this group. They crowded the pool bar, but would often defer to me when it was their turn first. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, but others will feel differently and Royal should at least warn people so they can decide whether they want themselves or their children to be exposed to a large group of college kids. 

Happy to to answer any questions!

We are on this ship on Monday.  I have been debating on booking lunch at Jamie's on the first day.  Were those discounted on the day of sailing?  Of course it may depend on if they have openings but maybe we will take our chance and see if we can get it a little cheaper.  I hear we may make it to Cococay!  Thanks for the tips!  Looking forward to our first cruise in 24 years...

I’m getting on Mariner on Monday, as well. 

May I ask when you learned that Coco Cay was cancelled? As of today, it still shows on my itenerary. The whole reason we decided to try RC again, and take this cruise, was the “private island”. I’ll be severely disappointed  if it’s cancelled. 

23 minutes ago, ElectricBallroom said:

May I ask when you learned that Coco Cay was cancelled? As of today, it still shows on my itenerary. The whole reason we decided to try RC again, and take this cruise, was the “private island”. I’ll be severely disappointed  if it’s cancelled. 

I was told by RC a few days ago that we were going to Cococay.  I believe no one was there this last week due to some construction.  I am watching to see if the weekend trip goes there.  I am pretty sure from what I have read that we will be able to get off on the new pier and won't need to tender.  I hope that's true!  3 more days!

24 minutes ago, ElectricBallroom said:

They sent an email but they had the wrong email for me.. it was sent about three weeks before we sailed. 

Apparently it was a critical week in pier construction and wasn’t safe for passengers. 

4 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Did you make reservations for any of the activities ie: sky pad, escape room etc?

I reserved SkyPad for 4:30 one day. Did this through cruise planner pre cruise. Laser tag we booked onboard. Same day-easily. College kids still at the bar I guess lol.

My kids are teens so they did SkyPad and flowrider with the teen group. Flowrider had maybe 10 kids for 45 mins. Lots of riding time!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Momto5 said:

They sent an email but they had the wrong email for me.. it was sent about three weeks before we sailed. 

Apparently it was a critical week in pier construction and wasn’t safe for passengers. 

It was probably for the placement of the bridge and finishing work after the placement.  While they are placing the bridge and then aftewards they can't tender.  They can't use the pier until the finishing work is done on the bridge.

8 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I love your great attitude about the college kids on board. Your screen name implies a certain level tolerance for shenanigans!

Thanks! They were a great bunch-was a bit nervous when I saw them pouring into the ship but I was pleasantly surprised. And my 17 yo boy was quite happy lol

• Haha 1

Thanks for the info Momto5. 

If you had to pick which of Jamies or Chops to dine at a second time, any recommendations?

Did you check out Izumi and see any dining for sushi or is it strictly hibachi?  We have UDP which translates to 3 night dinner package but hibachi is excluded.  

Is there a particular night that dining room meals were better than other nights?  If we are shut out of making 3 reservations we may do regular dining one night even tho have UDP.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, SAmome said:

Thanks for the info Momto5. 

If you had to pick which of Jamies or Chops to dine at a second time, any recommendations?

Did you check out Izumi and see any dining for sushi or is it strictly hibachi?  We have UDP which translates to 3 night dinner package but hibachi is excluded.  

Is there a particular night that dining room meals were better than other nights?  If we are shut out of making 3 reservations we may do regular dining one night even tho have UDP.

Thanks.

That’s a tough one! I really liked Jaime’s. The app and dessert planks are amazing! 

But you could do steak one night and fish/seafood the second at Chops, so I’d vote Chops! Don’t be afraid of the size of the rib steak-the flavor is sooo good!