Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

3 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

1 hour ago,  matadams4u said:

It doesn’t look like it is that close and it looks like it is a long drive from Molde to London

There isn’t a bridge from Norway to London 😳

Thankyou for confirming that. Thought I was the crazy one for asking....

32 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Does anyone know if the passengers are still in muster stations or have they been allowed back to cabins?

There's a passenger who's been live tweeting the whole thing with lot of photos & video, people are sleeping in their muster stations, on piles of lifejackets ( in the photos she posted most of them are sleeping in their lifejackets.)

A few minutes ago the situation is Viking Sky hove-to making 2 knots with 1 tug "Vivax" 485 gt & "Ocean Response" tug/supply rescue vessel 4183 gt near by.  The other tug has departed but another tug/supply vessel "Normand Range" 7480 gt is heading towards the group at 17 knots.

The coastal cargo ship "Hagland Captain" 2984 gt  that got into trouble is still transmitting AIS  a mile offshore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goodtobequeen said:

Thanks for the report, we haven't heard anything in about 4 hours.  Prayers for your family.  

Saw a twitter post from 3:15 AM Norway time (40 min ago) from a man who is on the ship.   "Ship is still pitching in bad seas and many passengers are miserable.  The Captain is hoping that the wind and seas calm down enough to bring the ship into port."         The poster did not say which port.

Hank

• Like 1

Saw a twitter post from 3:15 AM Norway time (40 min ago).   Ship is still pitching in bad seas and many passengers are miserable.  The Captain is hoping that the wind and seas calm down enough to bring the ship into port."  The poster did not say which port.

Hank
They've been saying the plan is to tow to Molde

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FYI to all... Latest AIS reports tend to indicate that the ship has power and steerage, likely under one engine as her course is wandering... However, she has put herself out to sea, and further from the lee shore she was looking at earlier. Best wishes for all aboard the Viking Sky...

• Like 1

The other vessels involved :-
Coaster cargo  - Hagland Captain
Ocean Response  tug/supply & emergency response
Normand Ranger  -  tug/supply
Vivax  -  tug
142356580_HaglandCaptain.jpg.ca261b20156dc07e931a762b853cdac8.jpg
797002913_OceanResponse.jpg.abfc883f31b3539f59a240bd3438e23d.jpg
123085702_NormondRanger.jpg.daed5c8daa8f57b5d2e0461447d2f9cd.jpg
Vivax.jpg.ee17772ff2950fc616bb715960d01146.jpg
In addition to:
Troms Arcturus, Boa Heimdal, and Siem Symphony.
Hagland Captain is the freighter that lost power many hours ago and declared its own mayday and abandoning ship. It's anchored back where both it and Sky had lost power, so no longer assisting.
Sky is now under power and has been for many hours - just moving very slowly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

And also to Kristiansund, as far as I have understood. 

I loved Molde and Alesund when I was there on Viking.  Getting people on flights home from those cities will be a little tough, though.  I feel so bad for everyone involved, but at least this happened toward the end of their cruise. 

I was on this cruise in early February and this breaks my heart.   I feel so much for the crew.  We made many personal relationships with crew members.  What happens to them now?  Do they get paid?  Are they out of work? 

Looking at these pictures.. Why not let these people go back to their rooms after muster drill and head counting? It's not as if they're evacuated within the next hour. The ship is not sinking either. I fully understand that safety goes beyond comfort at any time, but I don't see how safety is helped by having people sleeping in the corridor instead of a bed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doofy said:

I was on this cruise in early February and this breaks my heart.   I feel so much for the crew.  We made many personal relationships with crew members.  What happens to them now?  Do they get paid?  Are they out of work? 

I’m sure they will be paid and won’t be out of work, once everyone is safe, there’s going to be a huge clean up required and the ships engines will be repaired and when she’s seaworthy again future itineraries will go ahead as planned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Looking at these pictures.. Why not let these people go back to their rooms after muster drill and head counting? It's not as if they're evacuated within the next hour. The ship is not sinking either. I fully understand that safety goes beyond comfort at any time, but I don't see how safety is helped by having people sleeping in the corridor instead of a bed.

Check post #340 that explains why passengers are not in their cabins.

5 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

I’m sure they will be paid and won’t be out of work, once everyone is safe, there’s going to be a huge clean up required and the ships engines will be repaired and when she’s seaworthy again future itineraries will go ahead as planned.

According to the Viking website, their March 27 cruise is cancelled (surprise!), but that's the only one. 

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Check post #340 that explains why passengers are not in their cabins.

"Per latest report from my mom and sis, still in muster stations and many cabins are trashed"

Many ways to understand the word "trashed". I think it means that it's a mess but still has a steady bed much better than laying on the ground.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

"Per latest report from my mom and sis, still in muster stations and many cabins are trashed"

Many ways to understand the word "trashed". I think it means that it's a mess but still has a steady bed much better than laying on the ground.

I can’t speak for other cabins, but in the case of my family I believe it was a broken windows, water and enough debris that they were not able to retrieve their passports from the safe in their room, too much stuff piled on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Phnxgrl said:

I can’t speak for other cabins, but in the case of my family I believe it was a broken windows, water and enough debris that they were not able to retrieve their passports from the safe in their room, too much stuff piled on. 

Do you know what deck their cabin is on?

1 minute ago, Phnxgrl said:

In that case maybe I'd prefer the corridor.. I do hope this will be a talking subject at a BBQ for your family soon! 

45 minutes ago, Tigerjag said:

Amazing how steady that helicopter is holding.  The pilots deserve much credit!

All Coast Guard pilots kick butt!!! 

It is their job to rescue others no matter what the conditions.

Edited by cheeseclan
  • Like 4