NCL Star. In-suite dining and towel animal changes

banjineer

We are currently on the Star Mexican Riviera cruise in an aft suite.  A couple of changes we’ve noticed

from our past 8 NCL cruises.   The butler says no more specialty restaurant dinners in-suite.  The room steward says 

the word “has come down” that towel animals are by request only.

This is a FULL spring break cruise with a bunch of kids..  Possibly things will return to the “usual” after

the spring rush.  On the other hand, I think we are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise later this year.

• Like 1

If your Butler says no to in-suite specialty dining ASK WHY !

If you were expecting it at least for one meal WHY !

Maybe a follow up with the Butler's boss the Concierge for a further explanation.

As for the towels Gee I don't know maybe they want more work out of the cabin steward somewhere

else on the ship - or the extra laundry service for all dem critters was getting to be too much.

Something Rotten in the State of NCL cruising - maybe FDR needs more towels for his personal use !

Sounds like your butler and room steward just lost their tips.  Contact your concierge ASAP about these issues.  If the concierge doesn’t respond, next step is the executive housekeeper and food & beverage manager, last resort is the hotel manager.  Good luck.

Edited by herdingdogmom

On 3/25/2019 at 7:55 PM, banjineer said:

We are currently on the Star Mexican Riviera cruise in an aft suite.  A couple of changes we’ve noticed

from our past 8 NCL cruises.   The butler says no more specialty restaurant dinners in-suite.  The room steward says 

the word “has come down” that towel animals are by request only.

This is a FULL spring break cruise with a bunch of kids..  Possibly things will return to the “usual” after

the spring rush.  On the other hand, I think we are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise later this year.

As a VIP suite guest, paying a lot of money for butler service and your room, this is ridiculous.  Go over the butler's head.  He/she sounds lazy.  As for the room steward, if you told him/her on day 1 you like towel animals, there better be a towel animal in your suite every night.

Personally, I would not hesitate to speak with the HD if this BS is not corrected.

Edited by Love my butler

An update and thanks much for the suggestions.  A quick note in the Ask the Hotel Director box in the Atrium got both of these resolved.  We heard back pretty fast from the butler and room steward that there had not been any changes in towel animals or in-suite dining. We’re happy to have our questions addressed so quickly by the HD staff.

• Like 1

I think I might request a different butler (yes, it's possible) because this one is gonna avoid you like the plague now.  Don't misunderstand, I would have handled it exactly how you did.  I just don't think I would fully trust his service now if that's the attitude he's gonna have.  

I wonder, though, if they were told to say this.  Many passengers out there who don't know any better would just accept it and say nothing.

Edited by tarps14
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tarps14 said:

I think I might request a different butler (yes, it's possible) because this one is gonna avoid you like the plague now.  Don't misunderstand, I would have handled it exactly how you did.  I just don't think I would fully trust his service now if that's the attitude he's gonna have.  

I wonder, though, if they were told to say this.  Many passengers out there who don't know any better would just accept it and say nothing.

Seems by saying this they are shooting themselves in the foot tip-wise though?  

Hey, I'm gonna do a quick hijack on a similar question - our last cruise, Bliss, we had an outstanding butler but....I asked him once if we can order in advance where I order from, say, Haven restaurant and hubby orders elsewhere, perhaps Local or MDR, and I was told no, that it involves going to different ends of the ship to get both meals.  From CC I had thought it isn't an issue, that there is some sort of central kitchen.  it wasn't that big of a deal, and the only time we chose to do in-room dining we both ordered from the Local - but this thread has me wondering, IS it ok to order from two different restaurants or is it unreasonable? (and tip accordingly at end of trip, of course).

21 hours ago, erdoran said:

IS it ok to order from two different restaurants or is it unreasonable? (and tip accordingly at end of trip, of course).

I've read of people who claim to have ordered starters from one restaurant, mains from another and dessert from a third, the dining voucher being credited to the restaurant from which the mains were ordered.  Of course that's not very different from ordering three courses from one restaurant as the butler would have to make three trips either way.

As for ordering from two restaurants simultaneously, while I believe the butler should do their best to accommodate that request, they'll probably try to warn you off.  If other passengers are requesting in-suite dining service at the same time, you might have long delays between courses.  Even if no other passengers are calling on the butler's time, I suspect that he or she won't be able to get the different kitchens to coordinate the preparation of the plates so that all the mains, etc., are ready at the same time.  On top of that, he or she will obviously have to collect the food sequentially.  One of you is going to get their food a bit colder than the other.

In short, I would hope that the butler would do their best if you insisted, but their best might not be very good in this case.

Edited by havenfan

On 3/27/2019 at 9:46 AM, erdoran said:

Seems by saying this they are shooting themselves in the foot tip-wise though?  

Hey, I'm gonna do a quick hijack on a similar question - our last cruise, Bliss, we had an outstanding butler but....I asked him once if we can order in advance where I order from, say, Haven restaurant and hubby orders elsewhere, perhaps Local or MDR, and I was told no, that it involves going to different ends of the ship to get both meals.  From CC I had thought it isn't an issue, that there is some sort of central kitchen.  it wasn't that big of a deal, and the only time we chose to do in-room dining we both ordered from the Local - but this thread has me wondering, IS it ok to order from two different restaurants or is it unreasonable? (and tip accordingly at end of trip, of course).

You had a lazy butler.  Pure and simple.