Musings from the Monarch (Koningsdam)

VMax1700

15 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We loved Zuiderdam and Oosterdam for size and BBK , but KDM is oustanding. 

I have sone more cabin photos to send to halfacts when we get home. The internet is v e r y  s l o w today and will probably get worse.

What type of cabin interest you? Or is location more important?

I have been doing some research today, and I think I am good to go.  As it turns out, we are now leaning toward a Nieuw Statendam itinerary.  It will definitely be KDM or NS for a cruise in 2020 or 2021.  I wish it could be sooner but we are pretty booked up.  I must get on a HAL ship with BB Kings and the R&R venue.  I will look on hal facts upon your return.  THANK YOU!

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Ooh a free Pinnacle lunch!

20190408_141109.jpg

Interesting.  I wonder if this will be a change on all the ships from the usual Indonesian lunch for Collector's Cruise passengers.  Then then can charge for a rijsttaffel.  

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Interesting.  I wonder if this will be a change on all the ships from the usual Indonesian lunch for Collector's Cruise passengers.  Then then can charge for a rijsttaffel.  

That was my thought also! Enjoyed the collector's Indonesian lunch (except for the 11.30 am start!)

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That was my thought also! Enjoyed the collector's Indonesian lunch (except for the 11.30 am start!)

It might be related to only having 21 or so collector's cruise guests on this sailing. I have always loved the Indonesian lunches in the MDR, but they usually had a few hundred eligible collector's cruise guests.

Colin & Ellen - I enjoyed chatting with you at our M&G during the Caribbean segment. Hopefully our paths will cross again sometime!

On 4/7/2019 at 8:03 AM, VMax1700 said:

Our Lido server has told us that only 2005 pax will be onboard for the crossing!

That would make the KDM bearable, I bet! We were on the Caribbean portion with you, and were disappointed with our first experience on this class of HAL's ships, compared to our previous cruises on Oosterdam and Eurodam. The infrastructure (MDR, World Stage, elevators) just doesn't support a full compliment of pax (2600, I believe). Unless I'm mistaken, the Vista class ships have four more elevators to support 800 fewer pax. Who was the bright spark making that design decision? The topper was the visit to Half Moon Cay. A beautiful spot, no complaints there--but dumping two fully-loaded KDM-sized ships (ours plus the Nieuw Staatendam--sp?) onto that tiny little spot was another gross overloading of available beach capacity and food service capacity. I guess HAL is pushing the profit side of the equation, to the detriment of passenger enjoyment. They have, and will continue to get my feedback on this point.

Obviously, just my opinion, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:28 PM, Overhead Fred said:

It might be related to only having 21 or so collector's cruise guests on this sailing. I have always loved the Indonesian lunches in the MDR, but they usually had a few hundred eligible collector's cruise guests.

Colin & Ellen - I enjoyed chatting with you at our M&G during the Caribbean segment. Hopefully our paths will cross again sometime!

I had thought they would have added the 'collectors' from the current 13 day transatlantic and the folliwing 9 day Adriatic as there are a lot of pax doing the 2 cruises and not a lot of sea days on the 9 day Adriatic cruise.

Good to chat to you too, Fred. Look forward to meeting up again sometime!

Colin

Last night was first gala night of the transatlantic segment. Completely different to when ship was full on caribbean cruise 

Arrived to desk at 6.45. We had decided that if there was more than 15 minute wait we would try for a table in a speciality restaurant or just go to Lido.

We were seated immediately at a four top, sharing with a couple from Florida. Service was excellent and food was good. We sat and chatted for a very pleasant 2 hours. During our dinner I noticed many unoccupied tables.

So, if ship is full, then I think they let too many pax book Anytime Dining. They need to get the numbers right between fixed seating and Anytime.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Last night was first gala night of the transatlantic segment. Completely different to when ship was full on caribbean cruise 

Arrived to desk at 6.45. We had decided that if there was more than 15 minute wait we would try for a table in a speciality restaurant or just go to Lido.

We were seated immediately at a four top, sharing with a couple from Florida. Service was excellent and food was good. We sat and chatted for a very pleasant 2 hours. During our dinner I noticed many unoccupied tables.

So, if ship is full, then I think they let too many pax book Anytime Dining. They need to get the numbers right between fixed seating and Anytime.

Aha! Thanks for confirming my hunch (about the MDR, at least). That's also a good observation about dining times. We were on Anytime, as we had been on the Vista class ships. On the Pinnacle ships (I think that's the name of the KDM class), they may need to set a quota for Anytime.

Am enjoying reading your comments.

A couple of times when we did the Collectors cruises, those staying on for the second segment were invited to an Indonesion lunch.  We there only a few minutes when suddenly there was a mob of people walking into the dining room -- both levels.  I asked the maitre'd what was going on.  Seems that anyone who wanted to come to the lunch was allowed to do so.  So much for having something special just for those of us doing the Collectors cruise.

3 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Am enjoying reading your comments.

A couple of times when we did the Collectors cruises, those staying on for the second segment were invited to an Indonesion lunch.  We there only a few minutes when suddenly there was a mob of people walking into the dining room -- both levels.  I asked the maitre'd what was going on.  Seems that anyone who wanted to come to the lunch was allowed to do so.  So much for having something special just for those of us doing the Collectors cruise.

Drats! I never even try to get into the Rijsttafel lunch as I am not a “party crasher”...next time I should just ask the Maitre d’ 

Thw north Atlantic was rough last night and today is much the same with rain and poor visibility.

We were originally scheduled to reach Ponta Delgada at 11 am on Sunday, but the Captain announced today that we will now arrive at 7 am Sunday. 

15 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thw north Atlantic was rough last night and today is much the same with rain and poor visibility.

We were originally scheduled to reach Ponta Delgada at 11 am on Sunday, but the Captain announced today that we will now arrive at 7 am Sunday. 

Colin - We will be on the sister ship Nieuw Statendam in slightly over 1 week doing the identical crossing to Ponta Delgada before heading off to a diff part of Europe. Can you provide more detail about the daytime weather during your sea days? Specifically interested on how much cooler it got each day after leaving warm weather in Florida. Trying to gauge how many quality sea days (weather dependent of course) one would have laying outside in either shorts or long sleeve clothing before getting too cold. I'm packing in layers but wondering how much opportunity to enjoy warm weather before it gets cooler prior to reaching Ponta Delgada.

Also, did you notice the ship to be cold or rather comfortable in the public areas (realizing that part of this is subjective)?

Just now, cheezenip said:

Colin - We will be on the sister ship Nieuw Statendam in slightly over 1 week doing the identical crossing to Ponta Delgada before heading off to a diff part of Europe. Can you provide more detail about the daytime weather during your sea days? Specifically interested on how much cooler it got each day after leaving warm weather in Florida. Trying to gauge how many quality sea days (weather dependent of course) one would have laying outside in either shorts or long sleeve clothing before getting too cold. I'm packing in layers but wondering how much opportunity to enjoy warm weather before it gets cooler prior to reaching Ponta Delgada.

Also, did you notice the ship to be cold or rather comfortable in the public areas (realizing that part of this is subjective)?

My wife and I are currently on the Koningsdam as well. The first three days were fine out by the pool, warm, sunny, mid 70s. The fourth was a little cooler but still nice. That night,  seas got a little rough. The fifth day was cold and rainy with high seas. Now we’re on our last sea day prior to the Azores...there are clouds mixed with blue skies,  but it’s too chilly for the pool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheezenip said:

Morning from Koningsdam. It is 10.30 am local time (E.T. + 4) and temperature is 15 c. (59 f) with mixed cloud and sun. It ferls cool.

Yesterday was 17c max. With rain showers, low cloud and poor visiblility. The last rwo days and nights has had the sea a bit rough. 14 ft waves on a 6 ft sea.

First 3 days were great. Sunshine and warm 23 c (sorry you will have to change to f yourself). Shorts and t shirt.  Yesterday i wore long pants and a short sleeve polo shirt.  Ellen is a 'friolero' (feels the cold) and yesterday and today has a cardigan and wrap/scarf on. I have seen a few people wearing jackets.

Inside the ship is fine if you stay away from doors leading to the outside (esp. Lido) as the wind created is cooold!

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

Hi Colin,

I see you are from Cork, my dear mum was born there.  Just love Ireland!  We will be on a 23 nighter in the Med next month on her.  Have been on many HAL but not this ship.  It sounds like your weather is rough at the moment.  I hope it improves for you.  As I read your posts I am starting to get excited about our trip.

I don't suppose you would know how much a spa pass is going for these days?  We love this part of HAL ships always.

hoping the sun shines on you and the sea is calm,

Teresa 😎

Just now, Teresa Price said:

Hi Colin,

I see you are from Cork, my dear mum was born there.  Just love Ireland!  We will be on a 23 nighter in the Med next month on her.  Have been on many HAL but not this ship.  It sounds like your weather is rough at the moment.  I hope it improves for you.  As I read your posts I am starting to get excited about our trip.

I don't suppose you would know how much a spa pass is going for these days?  We love this part of HAL ships always.

Teresa 😎

My wife and I love the spa pass as well. It’s a little pricier than we remember it being in the past. For the thirteen days to Rome, it’s $399 per couple, for the 22 day cruise which also winds up back in Rome, $644. There’s basically no discount onboard.

The thermal lounge, though similar, is configured slightly differently. The therapy pool area is about the same size, but the thermal lounge area has more loungers but only one steam room. Still loving it though.

I was on the Koningsdam from March27 ...Our weather in Ccaibbean was exceptional.I wonder why the rush to get to Europe in April ...It can be coool to cold and seas can be rough .Ships should leave in early May not before for smoother crossing and better weather.I once went on Eurodam early May fromVenice to Greece and Turkey.  it was bone chilling esp in Istanbul .....very very cold .....no pool or sitting out ...we did preparefor cool but did not expect it to be that cold ...we still had a great time but no beach or suntan 

holland should rethink dates of transats .....

18 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

I was on the Koningsdam from March27 ...Our weather in Ccaibbean was exceptional.I wonder why the rush to get to Europe in April ...It can be coool to cold and seas can be rough .Ships should leave in early May not before for smoother crossing and better weather.I once went on Eurodam early May fromVenice to Greece and Turkey.  it was bone chilling esp in Istanbul .....very very cold .....no pool or sitting out ...we did preparefor cool but did not expect it to be that cold ...we still had a great time but no beach or suntan 

holland should rethink dates of transats .....

We sailed Koningsdam from Civitavecchia a couple of years ago and departed April 15th. The weather was plenty warm enough for me. Shorts and t shirts all the way.  Istanbul would still need a few weeks to warm up, but the key pointer is that the European tourist season tends to start just after the Easter holidays, so end of April to Europe is about right. (In my opinion). 

We expected some cool days, but Malaga and Cartagena will be about 24 c next week and that is just perfect!

Edited by VMax1700

1 hour ago, Teresa Price said:

Hi Colin,

Teresa 😎

Hi Teresa,

Glad you got a reply to this as we do not go near the spa (except when going to crow's nest). It is one area of the ship we really stay clear from! While we could see some value during a transatlantic, on a med cruise with so many port days, i would question the value. But to each......

(Was your mother from the city or the county?)

Colin

Hi Colin,

she was born in Middleton and christened in the cathedral there. Although she had lived in England most of her life she loved the old country and we scattered some of her ashes there when she died.  Great part of the world.  Was in Cork a few years ago with a round Britain cruise [took our American friends and we all loved it]. God bless The Paddywaggon Tours!

We usually like the thermal pool etc but boy has the price gone up in recent years. Thank you Paul for your answer on that one.

Enjoy your time on board Colin,

Teresa