Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Harry Peterson

18 minutes ago, docco said:

And equally well, you're hardly in any position to comment one way or the other on the views expressed - because you have no direct experience of the company.

All cruise lines have good and bad points.

I would say 85% good and 15% bad imo for P&O after 18 P&O cruises since 2003.

31 minutes ago, docco said:

And equally well, you're hardly in any position to comment one way or the other on the views expressed - because you have no direct experience of the company.

You are correct I have never claimed to have cruised but I only express a opinion when I believe I need to,like your desire amongst others on here to attempt to get the formal nights ended which would effect us,your views on the buffet which I am informed seams to go against other seasoned cruisers views on it etc.

so to sum it up I believe I have a right to voice an opinion.

Edited by Bazrat

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

You are correct I have never claimed to have cruised but I only express a opinion when I believe I need,to like your desire amongst others on here to attempt to get the formal nights ended which would effect us,your views on the buffet which am informed seams to go against other seasoned cruisers views on it etc.

You have every right to voice an opinion based on some of the regulars posts on here.

I also agree with a lot of the posters and my opinion is also based on 18 P&O cruises since 2003 and we have 2 more booked for the next several months which shows our preference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

All cruise lines have good and bad points.

I would say 85% good and 15% bad imo for P&O after 18 P&O cruises since 2003.

Let’s not forget Graham, part of that 85% positive for P&O is because we can enjoy our Old Speckled Hen.🍻:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Let’s not forget Graham, part of that 85% positive for P&O is because we can enjoy our Old Speckled Hen.🍻:classic_biggrin:

If they stop selling the O S Hen before our first cruise than you will be reading an awful lot of complaints from me

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

My favourite beer and definitely a massive plus point and reasonably priced too.Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

If they stop selling the O S Hen before our first cruise than you will be reading an awful lot of complaints from me

I am sure Graham is familiar with this but when they get to know you the waiters normally greet you with “would you like your normal spotted chicken sir”

I really like their sense of humour.😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

I am sure Graham is familiar with this but when they get to know you the waiters normally greet you with “would you like your normal spotted chicken sir”

They always look after me with great service and humour which is always appreciated.

8 hours ago, Bazrat said:

You are correct I have never claimed to have cruised but I only express a opinion when I believe I need to,like your desire amongst others on here to attempt to get the formal nights ended which would effect us,your views on the buffet which I am informed seams to go against other seasoned cruisers views on it etc.

I think you'll find that the views expressed on the buffet are hardly unique!  And I'm not suggesting they end formal nights (though I'm sure that will come) - merely that they provide a serviced free of charge restaurant for those who choose not to dress up.  That doesn't seem unreasonable - no losers that way.

7 hours ago, P-L-B said:

Love it! 😄 My husband loves the fact he's often called "Mr John" instead of his surname 🙂

I am by no means biased for or against any cruise line. We’ve only cruised with RC previously and just last week was our first time on P&O.

I really wanted to have a great time and we did make the best of it. Loved our time in the ports (even IJmuiden), and Ventura is a lovely, well kept ship. Our cabins were fine, as was our attendant.

The big thing that let us down, was the service, both in the MDR, the buffet on the one occasion we ventured in there (kids went more often than us - hungry teens), and the reception staff when two of us had a problem with the WiFi.

Breakfast was the worst. Apart from the first day, when we had a great experience with a lovely server, the rest of the week was quite frustrating. Being seated and then left for ages, others coming in and being seated and waited on quickly. No drinks offered, had to keep asking, no toast brought etc, etc. Now, these things are nothing major, but we had to ask all the time. 

Lunch times in the MDR were much different and we had some lovely lunches.

Dinner was hit and miss depending on where we were seated. First formal night we were given a buzzer and ended up waiting 2 hours for a table. We only got a table then because I went and asked if our buzzer was working.

We don’t believe we got the service that most on here seem to tbh, and that has put us off P&O. We are polite and never got impatient or demanding, so not sure why our service wasn’t up to scratch.

We never say never, but P&O are unlikely to be our first choice for future cruises. Our kids didn’t enjoy the experience, they were comparing to RC and for them P&O just didn’t compare.

Also, and we know they are a British company etc, but they are just too British for us. The entertainment wasn’t our cup of tea at all - sorry but bingo? No thanks.

I know we are in the minority, but this is just our experience. I know lots of people love P&O cruises and that’s great. They have lovely ships and are great value for money and as most have said, they sail from Southampton. Maybe we’ll try them again in the future, as I said, never say never.

Edited by arendale1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Love it! 😄 My husband loves the fact he's often called "Mr John" instead of his surname 🙂

I always get Mr Graham on all the cruiselines maybe someone knows why they don't use our surnames although Graham or Mr Graham I'm happy with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

I am by no means biased for or against any cruise line. We’ve only cruised with RC previously and just last week was our first time on P&O.

I really wanted to have a great time and we did make the best of it. Loved our time in the ports (even IJmuiden), and Ventura is a lovely, well kept ship. Our cabins were fine, as was our attendant.

The big thing that let us down, was the service, both in the MDR, the buffet on the one occasion we ventured in there (kids went more often than us - hungry teens), and the reception staff when two of us had a problem with the WiFi.

Breakfast was the worst. Apart from the first day, when we had a great experience with a lovely server, the rest of the week was quite frustrating. Being seated and then left for ages, others coming in and being seated and waited on quickly. No drinks offered, had to keep asking, no toast brought etc, etc. Now, these things are nothing major, but we had to ask all the time. 

Dinner was hit and miss depending on where we were seated. First formal night we were given a buzzer and ended up waiting 2 hours for a table. We only got a table then because I went and asked if our buzzer was working.

We don’t believe we got the service that most on here seem to tbh, and that has put us off P&O. We are polite and never got impatient or demanding, so not sure why our service wasn’t up to scratch.

We never say never, but P&O are unlikely to be our first choice for future cruises. Our kids didn’t enjoy the experience, they were comparing to RC and for them P&O just didn’t compare.

Also, and we know they are a British company etc, but they are just too British for us. The entertainment wasn’t our cup of tea at all - sorry but bingo? No thanks.

I know we are in the minority, but this is just our experience. I know lots of people love P&O cruises and that’s great. They have lovely ships and are great value for money and as most have said, they sail from Southampton. Maybe we’ll try them again in the future, as I said, never say never.

I don't like the small buffet area and lack of hot meat choices on Ventura at lunchtime.

We like the evening entertainment of singer's,groups or comedians but don't bother with bingo etc.

24 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

We are regular P&O cruisers and normally speak very highly of the service in the dining rooms however on our most recent cruise a couple of weeks ago my experience was very similar to yours.

Waiting for ages for a table in freedom dining. Formal night was dreadful and when we were eventually seated the table was not even set properly.

Poor, slow and sloppy service on some tables / excellent on others. Very hit and miss for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It was so poor that we raised the matter with the restaurant manager and it seems that the staff had turned over the week we were onboard so we had a lot of new and inexperienced waiters. As a customer that is not my problem and I expect decent service regardless. You may have suffered from the same issue.

What I would say is that this is definitely not the normal level of service in my experience over numerous cruises. The staff and service is usually very good. Don’t let it put you off.

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We are regular P&O cruisers and normally speak very highly of the service in the dining rooms however on our most recent cruise a couple of weeks ago my experience was very similar to yours.

Waiting for ages for a table in freedom dining. Formal night was dreadful and when we were eventually seated the table was not even set properly.

Poor, slow and sloppy service on some tables / excellent on others. Very hit and miss for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It was so poor that we raised the matter with the restaurant manager and it seems that the staff had turned over the week we were onboard so we had a lot of new and inexperienced waiters. As a customer that is not my problem and I expect decent service regardless. You may have suffered from the same issue.

What I would say is that this is definitely not the normal level of service in my experience over numerous cruises. The staff and service is usually very good. Don’t let it put you off.

I agree with you.

I wonder if these are new crew and the fact autotips finish next month that the level of new crew who are not getting our tips might not be as high as usual.

I hope not but after May a lot of P&O regulars will hopefully keep us informed during or after their cruise's.

Edited by grapau27

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

My favourite beer and definitely a massive plus point and reasonably priced too.Cheers.

But only if they can find a bottle or two at room temperature and not straight out of the chiller. They usually manage to!

Just now, pete14 said:

But only if they can find a bottle or two at room temperature and not straight out of the chiller. They usually manage to!

True but I will order another while I'm half way through my current can so it has a chance to get to room temperature.

2 hours ago, arendale1 said:

Hi what is too British ?.

it does sound like you had very poor service which is no way acceptable.

We would have chosen RC if our children were in there teens because they seam more family oriented,now they have flown the nest or did a few years back we chose p&o.

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes, very true it's "Mr Paul" for me.

We will be onboard Oceana in June and can't wait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Hi what is too British ?.

it does sound like you had very poor service which is no way acceptable.

We would have chosen RC if our children were in there teens because they seam more family oriented,now they have flown the nest or did a few years back we chose p&o.

The entertainment and food/drinks are all aimed at Brits - so it felt a little too much like being at home. When we’re on holiday we like to experience different things and be around all nationalities. 

Of course, lots of Brits like familiarity (like all the British pubs and ‘egg and chip’ cafes in the Costas. But, we’re not keen when on holiday tbh. RC being American, gave a bit of a different experience and my kids much preferred all of that (they like the US). Plus, more varied nationalities. 

I’m sure we’ll try P&O again at some stage, as I think we were just unlucky with the service. But, our kids won’t go, so it’ll be sometime in the future 🙂

3 hours ago, arendale1 said:

We travelled on the same cruise (N907) and experienced much of what you described with regards to the MDR, we seemed to be being treated  in a certain way because as a family of three we wouldn't share a table with others, even being told to use the buffet when we questioned why we had to wait for a table for an hour and a half, twice we gave up after an hour and went to the glass house which as nice as it was cost us £40 plus on both occasions - for the food, on the third occasion we encountered a significant wait I wandered into the MDR and saw at least four suitable vacant tables which we would of been happy to take and that was just down one side of the dining room.

I did question this and was told the wait was down to the demographic of the cruise and that there were too many families who'd requested freedom dining,  even though our previous cruise at Easter the year before had over 100 children more on board we didn't have to wait once, it appeared to me there was a concerted effort by P&O to force dining arrangements on us even though we had paid for and expected some sort of freedom, to add to the mess service was hit and miss, drinks, toast, steak knife, condiments, all had to be requested which was in stark contrast to the year before, we even received the wrong food on more than one occasion although I must say I've never had a bad meal in the MDR and think the food is very good.

Oh well never mind they are not huge issues but just leave a nagging feeling of disappointment.