Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

8 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Wow!  That will be a slow trip!  It will be interesting to see how long the trip takes...

When I was in the Navy I worked on Tug boats

in the shipyard when we had to go get a dead tow we had to leave at 5am and didn’t get back to the shipyard till 5pm.

11 minutes ago, Hootss said:

So it the shop is towed across the Atlantic and it takes 30 days or so, that would mean the May 5 sailing would be in high risk of cancellation, right?

I would imagine that if the assessment of the damage to the Oasis indicated that the only way to get her to Cadiz was to tow her, RCL would already be notifying passengers on any sailing within the next two months that they were in risk of cancellation.

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I would imagine that if the assessment of the damage to the Oasis indicated that the only way to get her to Cadiz was to tow her, RCL would already be notifying passengers on any sailing within the next two months that they were in risk of cancellation.

That would make sense; RCL stated they already know the extent of the damage and if was going to be towed, I doubt they’d still be selling rooms on the May 5th sailing. I’d imagine that if there was doubt; they’d at least put that date on hold and not sell anything else. 

Ive not heard that Oasis would be towed from anything that I’ve been reading. In fact, one of the crew members posted on Instagram this morning  (yes I’ve been stalking those crew members who have a public feed) that they are sad to be leaving the Bahamas early but are looking forward to the new adventures in Europe

1 hour ago, turbo4 said:

Normally yes, but with possible damage to her asipods I think she might be getting towed to Spain by ocean going tugs boats.

Where did they say that the ship needed to be towed? Where did you get this information. 

Edited by BirdTravels

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Where did they say that the ship needed to be towed? Where did you get this information. 

I meant with possible damage she will be towed I read some where.

MarineTraffic.com just updated it's route forecast for Oasis. Is this a normal route to get to Cadiz? The estimate arrival is on 4/18 which is what earlier reports suggested, however, looks like the ship is stopping in Puerto Rico area first?

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 8.52.19 AM.png

3 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

MarineTraffic.com just updated it's route forecast for Oasis. Is this a normal route to get to Cadiz? The estimate arrival is on 4/18 which is what earlier reports suggested, however, looks like the ship is stopping in Puerto Rico area first?

Maybe to take on food supplies or crew that might work on interior/exterior improvements?

52 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Maybe they want to stay "close" to the islands for a couple of days to make sure everything is working properly rather than heading straight across.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottish67 said:

Interesting route, especially the little weave through the Lesser Antilles.  There is no port stop depicted.

Edited by willde

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe to take on food supplies or crew that might work on interior/exterior improvements?

If they wanted food and supplies, they could just come back to Fort Lauderdale, that would be a lot closer.  Another option would be to ship the truck loads of supplies by ferry over to Freeport while they are waiting.

The Marine Traffic route forecast is just that, a forecast...Marine Traffic's algorithm generates a route based on other traffic making similar journeys in the past. I.e. the forecast has zero relation to the route Oasis has planned and has no knowledge of planned routes. It *may* take that route, but there's every chance it'll take the more direct approach.

We are scheduled for the May 12th sailing. Hopefully we will get to sail as scheduled but, just in case, we have been researching alternatives. Our airfare and post cruise hotel is non-refundable so we are going to Barcelona regardless.  Most other cruises for those dates are sold out so it might be a land trip.