So I get a call from my TA, Royal wants your cabin back.

13 minutes ago, Ashland said:

And if "they" couldn't figure out how to do a three-way call...then the TA could have given RCI permission to call me directly.

All this shuffling around with deposited (or paid in full) cabin selected cruiser's just seems very strange.

Why is anyone else's booking regardless of C&A status more important?

Could I as a D+ knock someone (of lower status)  from their cabin ...very doubtful...or would I even assume or expect it.

Sure let me call RCI and tell them I want that middle hump or true aft JS...call who ever has it booked and make it happen....and RCI's response would be :classic_huh:

C & A status, or a boatload (pun intended) of cash to get that cabin.  Whatever happened to “I’m sorry, Mr/Mrs XYZ, but that cabin category is currently sold out, but I can place you on a waitlist in case one becomes available”?  Seems like they took lessons from Monty Hall on Let’s Make a Deal...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

C & A status, or a boatload (pun intended) of cash to get that cabin.  Whatever happened to “I’m sorry, Mr/Mrs XYZ, but that cabin category is currently sold out, but I can place you on a waitlist in case one becomes available”?  Seems like they took lessons from Monty Hall on Let’s Make a Deal...

What is wrong with giving someone an opportunity for some extra coin. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Or maybe, someone made an insanely high Royal UP bid and Royal is trying to fulfill the request. 

Doesn't the "Royal Up" only apply to a category that's available to actually book...??

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Doesn't the "Royal Up" only apply to a category that's available to actually book...??

No way to know that. They can take offers on bunking with the captain. Doesn't mean they have to accept the offer. But if someone makes an offer they can't refuse on a sold out room, they see if they can get someone to move rooms. It's smart business.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What is wrong with giving someone an opportunity for some extra coin. 

Just never really heard of it happening.  There were several other cruise dates that would have rather chosen than what we did.  We were advised that all of the other dates were SOLD OUT for the cabin category that we need to book due to group size. We weren’t told to hang on while RCI tries to bribe someone else to give up their cabin.  Point being why should someone else try to be accommodated, if RCI isn’t willing to do the same for everyone?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm...Are you saying your A2 is open for a bidding war :classic_ohmy:

Absolutely,  we are staying in the A1. 

And if they want the A1 and I can keep the A2, that's fine as well. Never hurts to ask. $$$

Now, if I have auto upgrade turned on, and I lose my Aft JS for a GS, that's my problem 

7 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Just never really heard of it happening.  There were several other cruise dates that would have rather chosen than what we did.  We were advised that all of the other dates were SOLD OUT for the cabin category that we need to book due to group size. We weren’t told to hang on while RCI tries to bribe someone else to give up their cabin.  Point being why should someone else try to be accommodated, if RCI isn’t willing to do the same for everyone?

Post #55 said it happened to them. And we've gone from a popular JS to a GS twice now. Someone is asking and Royal is responding.

Maybe your group was to large to successfully accomodate

Edited by John&LaLa

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Plenty of reports that Royal UP is taking bids on unavailable cabins

Then no ones (specific) cabin choice is safe anymore...you're saying...This is crazy !!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Then no ones (specific) cabin choice is safe anymore...you're saying...This is crazy !!!

Not what I said at all.  I contend that there is nothing wrong with Royal calling and asking if you would consider changing cabins to accomodate a request.  Kind of like airlines asking if someone wants a voucher to miss a flight.

Now leavinging auto upgrade active could be an issue.

The Royal UP issue has nothing to do with this. It's just building a que in case a cabin opens

Edited by John&LaLa

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Post #55 said it happened to them. And we've gone from a popular JS to a GS twice now. Someone is asking and Royal is responding.

Maybe your group was to large to successfully accomodate

A group of 5 was too large to accommodate?  They can always call and ask if they can upgrade me to a Grand Suite...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not what I said at all.  I contend that there is nothing wrong with Royal calling and asking if you would consider changing cabins to accomodate a request.  Kind of like airlines asking if someone wants a voucher to miss a flight.

Now leavinging auto upgrade active could be an issue 

And my point being, why would they want to wheel and deal for someone else to get the cabin I’ve booked,  but won’t extend the same courtesy for me?  

Edited by A2Mich
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Does not appear that way.

So even when I have "no upgrade" on my profile..I can lose my booked cabin to someone wanting it and willing to pay more for it than I did originally ?

8 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

And my point being, why would they want to wheel and deal for someone else to get the cabin I’ve booked,  but won’t extend the same courtesy for me?  

Sorry, but I dont recall reading what your specific problem was.  

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So even when I have "no upgrade" on my profile..I can lose my booked cabin to someone wanting it and willing to pay more for it than I did originally ?

No, you are confused.  Did anyone say that?

Edited by John&LaLa

40 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Or maybe, someone made an insanely high Royal UP bid and Royal is trying to fulfill the request. 

A good possibility.

34 minutes ago, Ashland said:

No.  

28 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm...Are you saying your A2 is open for a bidding war :classic_ohmy:

It could be a a bidding war on a cabin that isn’t even available. I have had fellow roll callers having the option to bid on my cabin, to which we weren’t moving from. There are only two cabins of our category on the ship. 

13 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The won’t take the cabin away from the person who has it.  They just want a line of willing paying candidates VS someone getting a free upgrade. That being said I wouldn’t put it past Royal to try and get people to swap cabins to make profits. 

• Like 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, but I dont recall reading what your specific problem was.  

I don’t have a specific “problem.”  My question is why is RCI needing this apparently sold out cabin for someone else so badly, that they are willing to deal to get that cabin, but when I ask about 5 other sailing dates, all I seem to hear is, “We’re sorry, those dates are all sold out for the cabin type you are needing.”  No offers to put me on a list while they try and make a deal so that I can book that cabin....What makes that other person more important than me, or are you simply so used to feeling entitled that you can’t see the other side of the issue?

• Like 1

Let me present a plausible scenario.

I am currently on a transatlantic cruise on the Jewel.  The next cruise is a Mediterranean cruise.  It is "sold out."

Let's say that there has been a RoyalUp email to passengers on the Med cruise, even there are no available cabins.

There have been (I don't know the number, but more than one) medical evacuations from our cruise, including one this morning in Gibraltar.

So, let's say that all of the med evacs were booked B2B on the TA and the following Med cruise.

It's completely unplanned and unpredictable, but suddenly there are (I'm making up this number) three available cabins.

They can go to the responses for the Royal Up offer and see what they can do to fill those cabins.  They could possibly fill them with upgrades (paid, of course) for passengers currently on the TA.  They could sell them to people only booked on the Med cruise.  They could then sell those empty cabins to other people. 

Lots of ways that this could play out.

Just food for thought.

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

No, you cannot lose your stateroom.  At least not yet.  Would not surprise me if Royal does that at some point in the future, but it's not the process now.

• Haha 1